I want to take my opportunity | Theo Corbeanu post-Mansfield

If people are worried about his defensive side couldn't we play him up front with a licence to roam ?? Like we allowed Forestieri to do.

I know there not all fit at the moment but a team like the below could work playing a attacking possession based style:

Peacock-Farrell

Hunt Iorfa Hutchinson Brown

Johnson Adeneran Luongo Bannan

Corbeanu Gregory

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

But he’s not a good enough attacker to justify that, if we play him that’s no guarantee we will get that lead

You're right, but perhaps a balance to be struck. A combination of Brown/Johnson on the left is more defensively solid, meaning the midfield has to cover just on side of the pitch. The question then is whether Corbeanu offers more going forward than the compromise made by other players to cover. 

The sad fact is that our attacking play is pathetic, too much space between players, no cohesion. Corbeanu looked good because he was the only one who could run at and beat players. 

The way we play, we either have everyone back in our half, bar an isolated forward or players miles apart in no man's land up the pitch conceding massive gaps in midfield. The shape doesn't look right, therefore matters not who plays to a certain extent.

• Like 1

Thing is for me, Wing scored last night, Johnson set him up and put in another dangerous ball that led to the winner, and Paterson has scored 2 in 2. That would be my attacking three behind a striker (Kamberi atm).

Looked direct, should be a last 30 min player for me atm until he has a proper breakout game.

Still plenty of time for him to nail down a spot.

4 hours ago, nile said:

to be honest I don’t want to see the defensive side of his game, we’ve been watching everyone’s woeful defensive sides all season, he’s a threat going forward and that is what we want to see, he’s only young and will make mistakes,  give the lad a chance.

he needs to be playing

The game has moved on from wingers just staying up front on the by line, they are expected to track back and do defensive duties, all teams expect the same these days.

I honestly don’t know if he should start or not. But I do know that currently so dull to watch and still it picking up enough points! So I’d give him a whirl. I’d honestly rather lose while attacking than watch us defend deep and endlessly fánnying about playing out from the back and lose anyway!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Like others have said doesn't offer much help defensively but get the ball to him early where he can isolate defenders 1 on 1 and he will cause problems.

Play Palmer behind him as he is a solid full back but lacks the ability energy and crossing ability to play wing back.

That’s the clue 

Let Palmer sit in instead of bombing forward at every opportunity and getting caught out short at the back every game .

Moores tactics of getting our fullbacks overlapping at will is costing us a goal a game 

Corbeanu is skillful  but for me he has the dribblers habit of trying to beat his man 2 or 3 times before thinking about getting the cross in. By the time he's done turning the defender inside out another player has moved in to double cover him. If he could learn that sometimes all he needs is half a yard to get the cross in he would be dynamite.

It will get trained into him at some stage just like his defensive responsibilities will. It's great to be a fantastic dribbler but the modern game at a higher level wants more.

He's only a kid so it's what you expect.

I won't enter the debate on whether he should play in the next game because my heart says he should but my head says it's a risk.

• Like 1

Really like this lad …. Positive eager player….reminds me of when Utd had David brooks….on his day he will rip teams apart…… needs a run of games now …… be criminal if Moore drops him on Saturday……….even his interview is a breath of fresh air after Darren Moore’s …erm …erm ..erm …bores

• Like 1

For me he’s not been good enough so far. That said this was by far his best display and I wouldn’t necessarily lay the blame entirely at his door. His final ball and decision making must improve to match his technical and physical abilities.

Game time, yes. More importantly coaching and clear tactical direction is required.

15 hours ago, Mike Hunt said:

That’s the clue 

Let Palmer sit in instead of bombing forward at every opportunity and getting caught out short at the back every game .

Moores tactics of getting our fullbacks overlapping at will is costing us a goal a game 

It would help if Palmer could cross a ball

• Like 1

He’s got to play.

He rinsed Mansfield, but that doesn’t mean he can’t do it vs Bolton.

He’s got pace and tricks that can beat fullbacks, and shoots. 

He’s physically well built and confident too - you just know if we don’t use him he’ll go on another loan and really shine 

On 06/10/2021 at 17:16, prowl said:

I won't enter the debate on whether he should play in the next game because my heart says he should but my head says it's a risk.

I can't see it being a risk in starting him, what have we got to lose? We aren't creating shed loads of chances or scoring many goals. We've won 1 game in the last 6. We need to be more attack minded and he has that desire to run at defenders and create chances. Let's give him a run in the team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

I can't see it being a risk in starting him, what have we got to lose? We aren't creating shed loads of chances or scoring many goals. We've won 1 game in the last 6. We need to be more attack minded and he has that desire to run at defenders and create chances. Let's give him a run in the team.

The question is his lack of covering back. I think that's why we are only bringing him on in the second half. He's ok to chase the game but DM probably doesn't want him to fail to cover and cost us a goal down the right. Purely for attacking he'd be fine,  just needs to get his head up a bit more, he can go round players easily.