Jump to content

Headphones


Ellis Rimmer
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Salli said:

 

What's the needs/doesn't need based upon or is it specific to every headphone?

 

A a rule of thumb...high impedance rated headphones need more power therefore will benefit from having an amp. 

 

It is model dependent though and I'd say it boils down to more what you want from your listening experience. If you're happy with your sound already and you don't want the added faff of more equipment then I wouldn't bother.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 30/12/2021 at 12:13, dan27 said:

 

A a rule of thumb...high impedance rated headphones need more power therefore will benefit from having an amp. 

 

It is model dependent though and I'd say it boils down to more what you want from your listening experience. If you're happy with your sound already and you don't want the added faff of more equipment then I wouldn't bother.

 

 

 

Nice one - won't trouble myself with it in that case!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest Grandad

Doesnt the amp just make em louder?

 

It surely doesnt add to the sound quality?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 02/01/2022 at 09:17, Grandad said:

Doesnt the amp just make em louder?

 

It surely doesnt add to the sound quality?

 

It can improve sound quality. If a headphone is designed to be driven harder then having that increase of power will result in them working optimally. That then can result in a better sound.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 05/01/2022 at 05:56, Geedee said:

Just read this article, 

 

Makes the new headphones from apple seem cheap

https://www.whathifi.com/news/mark-levinson-goes-all-out-with-its-first-ever-headphones-the-wireless-anc-no5909

 

To be fair, when I saw the manufacturer I expected them to be 2 or 3 times the price. I'd never pay a grand for a pair of headphones, but compared to the competition they are near the cheaper end

 

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/headphones/over-ear-headphones

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, owlsfan_72 said:

To be fair, when I saw the manufacturer I expected them to be 2 or 3 times the price. I'd never pay a grand for a pair of headphones, but compared to the competition they are near the cheaper end

 

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/headphones/over-ear-headphones

Thanks for posting this link some incredible numbers.

 

I wonder how much better they can be compared to the  200-400 quid ones normally discussed on this thread.

 

Who actually buys wired headphones for several thousand pounds to use with a home music system?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Geedee said:

Thanks for posting this link some incredible numbers.

 

I wonder how much better they can be compared to the  200-400 quid ones normally discussed on this thread.

 

Who actually buys wired headphones for several thousand pounds to use with a home music system?

 

Hi-Fi enthusiasts or if they're really flat then studio engineers and producers.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Geedee said:

Thanks for posting this link some incredible numbers.

 

I wonder how much better they can be compared to the  200-400 quid ones normally discussed on this thread.

 

Who actually buys wired headphones for several thousand pounds to use with a home music system?

To me, wired always sounds better. I rarely touch the Bluetooth headphones when at home. Always go for the wired ones. 

 

If anyone is after a pair of budget wired headphones, I can heartily recommend the AKGK92. Amazing for £40 and are easily driven by a phone. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...