Headphones

Ellis Rimmer

2 hours ago, Salli said:

What's the needs/doesn't need based upon or is it specific to every headphone?

A a rule of thumb...high impedance rated headphones need more power therefore will benefit from having an amp. 

It is model dependent though and I'd say it boils down to more what you want from your listening experience. If you're happy with your sound already and you don't want the added faff of more equipment then I wouldn't bother.

On 30/12/2021 at 12:13, dan27 said:

A a rule of thumb...high impedance rated headphones need more power therefore will benefit from having an amp. 

It is model dependent though and I'd say it boils down to more what you want from your listening experience. If you're happy with your sound already and you don't want the added faff of more equipment then I wouldn't bother.

Nice one - won't trouble myself with it in that case!

Guest Grandad

Doesnt the amp just make em louder?

It surely doesnt add to the sound quality?

On 02/01/2022 at 09:17, Grandad said:

Doesnt the amp just make em louder?

It surely doesnt add to the sound quality?

It can improve sound quality. If a headphone is designed to be driven harder then having that increase of power will result in them working optimally. That then can result in a better sound.

On 05/01/2022 at 05:56, Geedee said:

Just read this article, 

Makes the new headphones from apple seem cheap

https://www.whathifi.com/news/mark-levinson-goes-all-out-with-its-first-ever-headphones-the-wireless-anc-no5909

To be fair, when I saw the manufacturer I expected them to be 2 or 3 times the price. I'd never pay a grand for a pair of headphones, but compared to the competition they are near the cheaper end

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/headphones/over-ear-headphones

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, owlsfan_72 said:

To be fair, when I saw the manufacturer I expected them to be 2 or 3 times the price. I'd never pay a grand for a pair of headphones, but compared to the competition they are near the cheaper end

https://www.audioaffair.co.uk/headphones/over-ear-headphones

Thanks for posting this link some incredible numbers.

I wonder how much better they can be compared to the  200-400 quid ones normally discussed on this thread.

Who actually buys wired headphones for several thousand pounds to use with a home music system?

7 hours ago, Geedee said:

I wonder how much better they can be compared to the  200-400 quid ones normally discussed on this thread.

Who actually buys wired headphones for several thousand pounds to use with a home music system?

Hi-Fi enthusiasts or if they're really flat then studio engineers and producers.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Geedee said:

To me, wired always sounds better. I rarely touch the Bluetooth headphones when at home. Always go for the wired ones. 

If anyone is after a pair of budget wired headphones, I can heartily recommend the AKGK92. Amazing for £40 and are easily driven by a phone.