Results when conceding first goal in a match

And the common denominator in that period is that we've been set up defensively minded / negative in all that time.

Our priority tree has been:

1) Don't concede

2) Worry about / nullify the opposition's strengths 

3) Offensive play

It's no wonder then that we have the OP's stats when the basic object of the game: 'score goals' is no longer the priority direction from the managers.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It's well known we struggle to get anything out of a game once we concede the first goal.

But it's getting ridiculous now.

In the last 24 matches when we  have conceded first going back to the 19/20 season, we have failed to get a single point.

W0 D0 L24

Since coming from behind to beat Brentford at home in December 2019, our record when conceding the first goal is, W0 D2 L32.

That's 2 points from 102!

Is it a physocological thing?

Whatever the reason for the inability to fight back it needs to change or we are going nowhere.

If you really want to get depressed about how things are going.
According to the Ifollow commentators a couple of weeks ago, the last time we won an away league match after conceding first was in 2016.
Somebody on here will probably know the game in question, who scored etc. Too long ago for me.

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

All boils down to the players basically not being good enough.

But we have a while new team.

I would suggest it could also be the coaching staff. 

Poor tactics, poor use of substitutes, negative football.

Setting out a team to not lose instead of setting out a team to win.

4 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

Since coming from behind to beat Brentford at home in December 2019, our record when conceding the first goal is, W0 D2 L32.

Just for comparison, in the same period we scored the first goal in 42 games and

W22 D11 L9.

So we go on to convert 52% of the games when scoring first into wins.

Not great.

Little to no players in the side with any real drive and certainly none that have that never-say-die attitude. No real leaders either (Bannan moaning at his team-mates isn't leadership). Combine this with a complete inablity to consistently get in the face of their opponents and play at pace for more than 15 or 20 minutes in a match and you have a team that rarely holds the initiative in a match and certainly can't wrestle it away from an opponent.

3 hours ago, Blatter said:

Moore said they’ve got tired minds according to Joe Crann. 

Once when I was suffering from that my boss gave me a good kick up the aris

Cured it rather quickly.

Tired feckin minds, bloody ell, I'd expect that at the end of the season, not 1st week in bleedin October. Plus, it's not as if we've even kept the same side. We change it every game ffs.

• Like 3

It’s frankly embarrassing that stat. Shows the complete lack of character we have had for so long. 

also I’d be doubly depressed if I actually knew how we ranked in points lost in the last 5 minutes.

I was in the pub with my Stoke mate last season we were winning going into the last 5… I turned to him and said we could easily lose it from here… I was right. And that was when Stoke couldn’t buy a win.

we are the team that ends others bad run. Think this started in the prem when we played villa who hadn’t won in about 16 I think it was and Milosovic hadn’t scored in an age… they won and he scored twice… maybe we have been cursed ever since

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tommy Crawshaw said:

It's well known we struggle to get anything out of a game once we concede the first goal.

In the last 24 matches when we  have conceded first going back to the 19/20 season, we have failed to get a single point.

W0 D0 L24

Whatever the reason for the inability to fight back it needs to change or we are going nowhere.

That's truly staggering.

W0 D0 L24

No..were just crap..

• Haha 1

W0 D0 L24

Just shows what a pathetic mess we are. No spine and no leaders. Train during the week, turn up and produce half-arsed performances, collect wages and repeat. Soft touch for players, managers and wanting a pay cheque for nothing. 

Maybe just someone bloody picking up the ball and racing back to take the kick off to show some urgency might do it?

Every bloody one of them just drops heads and feels sorry for themselves.

And we never view injury time as a time to score a goal, just a time to try and avoid conceding one - which means it's inevitable we concede.

Winners learn to cope with these moments. We have nowhere near enough winners in this squad.

They've either just had the most disastrous few seasons of their lives and got relegated (Palmer, Dunkley, Bannan, Hutch, Iorfa, Paterson, FDB)

... have been binned off by their old club in the league above and probably taken a big pay cut (Johnson, Hunt, Gregory, Byers)

... or farmed off on loan by a higher placed league club for not being deemed good enough or good enough yet despite performing at this level or above (Shodipo, Wing, BPF).

The others are virtual unknowns who probably just need to make more impact/effort in training to get a game (Corbeanu, Sow, Kamberi) - because there seems little other reason why they shouldn't get a proper chance.

The one player who has been a big plus is Dennis Adenarin, and its because he's a really decent player who makes an effort. It's why fans already like him. I'd also give decent kudos to Jaden Brown who has looked really useful - but who knows why he doesnt get a regular game.

Between them all theres some ability there, but nowhere enough to be right at the top of the league - and we're definitely not a 'team' yet - just a slightly disjointed bunch who sporadically can do some good stuff. 

It's up to DM to stop forcing his ideals on a set of players who just are not that kind of player, and quickly work a system out that gets results in this league and what most of them are far comfier with.

If he wants to start buying players that fit the bill of fancy football in the future then wonderful, bring it on - but it's plain obvious this bunch isn't that type.

If their poor little minds are tiered after ten games, then in all seriousness, what state will they be in come March?!

There’s only so much dusting off and moving on you can do before acknowledging we’ve got a massive issue. 

I don’t know what the answer is, but it’s certainly something that needs addressing and fixing urgently 

Personally think it's a pretty simple reflection of the football that has been played in that whole period. 

Every manager has been negative and gone into games to rey and knick goals to win them rather than playing any sort of expansive, attacking football. 

When you play like that it's very, very difficult to come back. 

We haven't had a good manager in my lifetime and the manager is the single most important factor here. 

A good manager can completely change a clubs fortunes. United a classic example, Burnley, Bournemouth and Leeds are others. We need to find one, in just not convinced Chansiri knows enough to do that.