Moore In or Out?

Moore In or Out  

425 members have voted

1. 1. Should Darren Moore be sacked?

• Yes, he should go now
    • No, he deserves more time

1 minute ago, bolton9owl said:

I can understand your optimism but as fans we do ask for the players who wear the shirt to put in a performance that justifies calling them football players.

Right now too many of our players are pedestrian and can’t even pass the ball to one of their team mates. 
How many are looking to move forward, find the gaps or in the case of strikers get free from their markers. 
How many understand that to win matches we need to score goals and to do that we need to shoot. For great periods of our games we don’t look to shoot which really frustrates the fans and we then go quiet.

This has got to be down to the coaching which simply is not working with this group of players. 
I hear this week that Moore is considering adding yet another face to his back room staff.

With Moore as manager has SWFC become a haven for out of work football coaches. At the current rate there will soon be more back room staff than players

We the paying fans are certainly not seeing any improvements as in reality the standard of our football right now is as low as I’ve seen it in over 60 years and that’s a fact.

We certainly can’t let this dross continue until Christmas.

Bolton you miss my point - I agree with everything you say

I am suggesting relieving DM of first team duties and moving him upstairs into a Director of Football role 

The coach I am suggesting is a new First Team Coach (or Manager) to replace him (pick the team/tactics etc) - I think on this we are on the same page

He always needed time to integrate so many new players, and to get across his philosophy.

But 10 games in, and he is making some perplexing decisions, is chopping and changing certain positions, and it looks like the players don't know what they are doing.

He gets more time from me, but this needs to click soon. A few more bad results and we will be looking over our shoulders, and I don't want to think how much worse an already tetchy atmosphere could get, if we get dragged into a league 1 relegation scrap.

For the record, I don't think that will happen, and I am staying hopeful that things come good.

I’ve always said we need to give whoever came in after Pulis time. Ie find someone that we can buy into and see how it goes. Unless it goes horrendously badly.

So for now I am sticking to that, but I am concerned by all the chopping and changing, the constant errors etc. Not really seeing a pattern to the play. Dropping Paterson only to realise he’s probably one of our better players. The errors being the players fault but passing around the back on a soggy pitch etc invites that.

We struggled under CC without a proper defensive mid and it’s the same again here. We are just really really frail all of a sudden after looking solid at the start of the season. 

• Like 1

Guest Andy W
2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Not seen any signs of improvement since the start of the season so time to go. The turgid style of place is not working. Clearly trying to bore the opposition to giving up just isn't working.

Sacking the manager is the first cry but

a) who else

b) players will still be poor

Despite other comments imo we have a poor set of players who can't do basic stuff expected of a professional footballers, hence our position.

We are not a team, we are a group of poor individuals

Again hence our posirion..

I don't personsally believe any replacement manager could do better with what we have..you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

There are a ton of better teams than us in this league

We can't keep changing managers ad infinitum. 

But by God the man's got to help himself. 

We have a left back,  Brown who has yet to play left back.

We talk about finding consistency...but haven't put the same side out twice in a row. 

There are some simple things that can be done, that might not make us world beaters but would surely help him achieve what he's trying to do.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Sheff74 said:

He always needed time to integrate so many new players, and to get across his philosophy.

But 10 games in, and he is making some perplexing decisions, is chopping and changing certain positions, and it looks like the players don't know what they are doing.

He gets more time from me, but this needs to click soon. A few more bad results and we will be looking over our shoulders, and I don't want to think how much worse an already tetchy atmosphere could get, if we get dragged into a league 1 relegation scrap.

For the record, I don't think that will happen, and I am staying hopeful that things come good.

Yes despite a lot of signings we need to have 1 or 2 approaches. A preferable attractive one and a direct one. The players, whoever they are just then all slot into a practiced system. But it’s all a bit individual and panic stations.

5 minutes ago, 0114 said:

It would suggest from his interviews he won’t be doing any of the suggested things above (all of which I agree with).

He’s mentioned the horses for courses phrase and also spoke of using the squad. So I reckon the changes every game will continue. He’s also played out from the back consistently at WBA & Doncaster so I don’t see that changing either. 

I think you’re right. Playing football out from the back looks great when it’s done well, and the logic is that if you have possession of the ball then the opposites can’t score. Our problem is that we give them the ball and then they do score!

We have some good footballers but we’re not Man City, we’re a third tier side. I’m not advocating Pulis-ball, but we need to recognise the limitations of the players we have and play to their strengths. I said yesterday that trying to play out from the back with defenders whose distribution isn’t great is like playing long ball up to a small striker - it’s clearly not working, so the fact we’re persisting with it is just baffling. 

With regards to chopping and changing the team - again, no problem with it in theory as long as you know your strongest XI and drop or rest players when needed. We’ve got 2 players for every position so should be able to do this. So far though, it seems like the hat that previous managers used to pick the team out of has returned.

Moore comes across as a lovely bloke but clearly fans’ patience is beginning to wear thin

• Like 1

2 hours ago, daleblue said:

Shoe horning Bannan in on the right, first half did it for me, if you are going to play him, play him

where he is best, or don't.

Has to go.

Spot on mate, Bannan on the right made no sense at all. Yes Baz is a great player but it’s getting daft now with Moore’s selection’s. What’s next Bannan in goal and Hutch right wing?

After Monk and Pulis I thought the footballer we were playing under Moore was so much better, felt interested to watch again. The squad this season seems better I just don't get what is going on, we look clueless, can't retain the ball and our passing is atrocious. 

1 minute ago, beswetherick said:

I think you’re right. Playing football out from the back looks great when it’s done well, and the logic is that if you have possession of the ball then the opposites can’t score. Our problem is that we give them the ball and then they do score!

We have some good footballers but we’re not Man City, we’re a third tier side. I’m not advocating Pulis-ball, but we need to recognise the limitations of the players we have and play to their strengths. I said yesterday that trying to play out from the back with defenders whose distribution isn’t great is like playing long ball up to a small striker - it’s clearly not working, so the fact we’re persisting with it is just baffling. 

With regards to chopping and changing the team - again, no problem with it in theory as long as you know your strongest XI and drop or rest players when needed. We’ve got 2 players for every position so should be able to do this. So far though, it seems like the hat that previous managers used to pick the team out of has returned.

Moore comes across as a lovely bloke but clearly fans’ patience is beginning to wear thin

It’s all a little bit of a mess.

I think we do need to become a little bit more of a direct team, same as you I’m saying we can be direct & attacking and not direct & defensive like Pulis.

Or even mix it up a little, he’s so incessant on the ball being played out that teams have worked out you can press us very high. 

The last month, Wigan aside has been a tough watch. 

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
2 hours ago, casbahowl said:

14 managers in 21 seasons is exactly why we’re in the position we’re in now & moronic threads like this epitomises the mentality of the internet fan!

Why is it a moronic thread? Are all threads you don’t agree with moronic or just this one. Moore has been in charge for the equivalent of almost half a season and has done nothing to suggest he is anything other than a tactical Pygmy. Are us morons supposed to stare into space in a state of somnamulatory abstraction and just hope things get better?

4 minutes ago, 0114 said:

It’s all a little bit of a mess.

I think we do need to become a little bit more of a direct team, same as you I’m saying we can be direct & attacking and not direct & defensive like Pulis.

Or even mix it up a little, he’s so incessant on the ball being played out that teams have worked out you can press us very high. 

The last month, Wigan aside has been a tough watch. 

They can press us so high because we insist on the keeper passing to a player stood two yards away, playing their entire team onside in the process… it’s mad. We must be so easy to play against. I’d love to see us play higher up the pitch, win first and second balls, and take the game to the opposites. We’ve got a decent set of players for this division, they’re capable of better results and performances than what we’ve produced so far. 

• Like 3

For a club at our level, as much as anything it is indeed about constantly chopping and changing, and there are good reasons for it.

Firstly, although there are definitely managers who flourish wherever they go, managers of that ilk are unlikely to ever come here.

We fall into the same category as most clubs, in that you keep trying different ones until one eventually clicks.

There are so many things that can potentially go wrong at a club, that it's extremely difficult to predict who'll do well and who won't.

Take Tufty over the road; he did alright at his previous clubs, but there was nothing to suggest that he would play the blinder that he did at the Lane.

It just clicked, that's all.

They were lucky.

And for those who'll name clubs at our level who've flourished at our sort of level, often it's because of the set-up they have; a set-up we don't have, and frankly Mr. Shankly have never had. 

Secondly, bringing in a new manager who plays a different way keeps the opposition guessing, which matters if your players are relatively bobbar, as ours often are.

People always used to cite Fergie as a reason for keeping a manager long-term at a club, but that happened at Man Utd, whose players were better than those of the opposition at the time, or they had more of them.

And they'd sometimes bring in a new, world-class player to stymie their opponents.

In Moore's case he doesn't know what he's doing - he can't even explain it on camera - and he's playing a variety of football which is out-of-place at this level and hurting us more than our opponents.

Time to go.

In the last 12 months, Bullen, Monk, Thompson, Pulis, Thompson again then Moore.

We can’t go on chopping and changing managers, coaches and style of play every few months. 
It’s dire at the moment but give the man a couple more months to see if he can get a settled team and pattern of play. They won’t gel as a team if players change every week. They won’t gel as a team if players are out of their best position.  

If no improvement in the next 8 weeks then sadly he must depart. Give someone else like Ryan Lowe a go before the next transfer window.