Baffled by Moore - Does he know what he is doing?

1 hour ago, CourteenerOwl said:

I think he got us relegated tbh.

All we had to do was beat Derby away, who were awful and he decided to play Dunkley who was at fault for the pen and played dreadfully throughout.

Not just played Dunkley, but played him after being out injured I think since February.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

We don’t want to go long from goal kicks, so we pass it to Dunkley who gets charged down and wallops the ball to wherever. 

Then repeat. 

WTF is the point - to avoid people saying we hoof it ?   If we want to hoof it, flipping hoof it 

We’re not Man City with a £200m back 4. 

Stop flipping about. 

Totally this.

If we had players capable of playing out from the back then of course it’s a perfectly good approach. However, unless you are blind or live under a stone it’s crystal clear that our players are incapable of making that work.

Moore must see that too. Mustn’t he?

• Like 1

A manager who tries to impose a style of play on a group of players that are not suited to it is not only doomed to fail, but an idiot too.

Asking Iorfa and Dunkley to play out from the back is like asking Barry Bannan to do a slam dunk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Totally this.

If we had players capable of playing out from the back then of course it’s a perfectly good approach. However, unless you are blind or live under a stone it’s crystal clear that our players are incapable of making that work.

Moore must see that too. Mustn’t he?

Remember an interview with Monk where he broke down the percentage of opportunities actually created at Championship level from playing it out of the back. It was a very low percentage and his argument was it’s pretty much pointless at this level. 

He was certainly no managerial genius but he was bang on for me here. It’s a stupid thing to do - and that was at Championship level. Let alone League One.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Remember an interview with Monk where he broke down the percentage of opportunities actually created at Championship level from playing it out of the back. It was a very low percentage and his argument was it’s pretty much pointless at this level. 

He was certainly no managerial genius but he was bang on for me here. It’s a stupid thing to do - and that was at Championship level. Let alone League One.

Seems so obvious that we should go a bit more direct and get at teams.

Not advocating hoofing it, but get it out wide and get crosses into the box. 

Why sign Sow, Kamberri and Corbeau when none of them ever play? The money spent on their wages would have been better used signing a midfield hatchet man, a nasty git to give us some presence in midfield. We are a soft touch, and our opponents know it. 

• Like 8

We've had 18 months where we have been utter sh*te.

Even now, with a new manager, fourteen new players, we are still a bit crap and the same old frailties are present.

We still have no defined style of play, we are still a soft touch and we still make stupid mistakes that a pub team would be embarrassed by.

I knew we would lose against Oxford on Saturday. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

A manager who tries to impose a style of play on a group of players that are not suited to it is not only doomed to fail, but an idiot too.

Asking Iorfa and Dunkley to play out from the back is like asking Barry Bannan to do a slam dunk.

Or play right wing... 

Iorfa should be a beast in this league, has terrific covering pace and perfect for us to play a high back line and press teams.

10 minutes ago, SiJ said:

We've had 18 months where we have been utter sh*te.

Even now, with a new manager, fourteen new players, we are still a bit crap and the same old frailties are present.

We still have no defined style of play, we are still a soft touch and we still make stupid mistakes that a pub team would be embarrassed by.

I knew we would lose against Oxford on Saturday. 

And one thing has remained constant. 

There’s something structurally about the club in my opinion. Something in how we operate behind the scenes which puts a negative cloud over things and the performances.

I think we are gradually moving away from it. Recruitment has improved and the day to day operations seemingly have got better. But perhaps it will take time to rebuild and remove old habits.

1 minute ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

Or play right wing... 

Iorfa should be a beast in this league, has terrific covering pace and perfect for us to play a high back line and press teams.

To play a high back line you need to move their back line, otherwise it just gets congested, and they bang them over the top.

1 minute ago, Tewkesbury said:

To play a high back line you need to move their back line, otherwise it just gets congested, and they bang them over the top.

Which is why we should be much more aggressive and press teams more.   We have the squad to take a similar approach in this league to what WBA are doing in championship.

On Saturday numerous times we played it short for dunkley / Iorfa to then boot it forward with it inevitably coming straight back, but when it did there was acres between out back line and midfield that Oxford broke on us at will.

I hate to use this as an example but just look at what Wilderbeast did to them lot across the city. Brought in players who were familiar with the division, got them super fit and used that to his advantage, using the channels and constantly packing the opposition box, getting the ball into the box quickly. He used pretty much the same team week in, week out, not constantly tinkering with the side. 

We will never have this whilst Moore continually changes things, and not for the better. Makes you wonder if some of them have appearance clause money in their contracts. The style is clueless, as others have said the opposition know exactly what to do...

Press high around our penalty area and we crumble in possession. I'm sorry but for the nice guy Darren is he hasn't shown anything remotely to justify been in the job and the man to take us back into the Championship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SallyCinnamon said:

And one thing has remained constant. 

There’s something structurally about the club in my opinion. Something in how we operate behind the scenes which puts a negative cloud over things and the performances.

I think we are gradually moving away from it. Recruitment has improved and the day to day operations seemingly have got better. But perhaps it will take time to rebuild and remove old habits.

Or we cannot pick a decent manager for toffee?

Look at Mark Robins at Cov or Wilder at pigs. A decent manager can change the fortunes on the pitch despite what is happening in the boardroom. 

Sisu compared to Chansiri? The difference was Robins the manager.

20 minutes ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Or we cannot pick a decent manager for toffee?

Look at Mark Robins at Cov or Wilder at pigs. A decent manager can change the fortunes on the pitch despite what is happening in the boardroom. 

Sisu compared to Chansiri? The difference was Robins the manager.

Coventry City finished 8th in their first season back in League One.

Are you really writing Moore off already? I think he needs the season. It’s a tough league and we came down with a lot of issues and baggage. 

Look I am questioning some of his decisions but rather give him time to get it right than just get rid. Sacking managers ended up with us being relegated. 

We are steady mid table at the moment. Plenty to play for.

Yes it's a tactical omnishambles but what's happening on the coaching side?

• Moore has taken players performing at a decent level for other teams last season - Lewis Wing and Shodipo (10 goals for Oxford last season) - and somehow made them completely ineffective. 
  • So many players - BPF, Hunt, Wing, Bannan - have gone way out of form from the start of the season.
  • A team stuffed with attacking players and barely able to create a chance
  • The loser mentality is still alive and well.
  • THEYRE FEKKIN TIRED!!!!

Time for the excuses to end - we need 5 good performances on the bounce.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Nero said:

Yes it's a tactical omnishambles but what's happening on the coaching side?

• Moore has taken players performing at a decent level for other teams last season - Lewis Wing and Shodipo (10 goals for Oxford last season) - and somehow made them completely ineffective. 
  • So many players - BPF, Hunt, Wing, Bannan - have gone way out of form from the start of the season.
  • A team stuffed with attacking players and barely able to create a chance
  • The loser mentality is still alive and well.
  • THEYRE FEKKIN TIRED!!!!

Time for the excuses to end - we need 5 good performances on the bounce.

One performance would be a start

His Wednesday career so far reads like this.

Joined Wednesday in March 2021, caught Coronavirus, poor results and performances contributed to relegation.

On paper signed some decent players in pre-season, somehow made the team even more boring and negative, poor performances, poor results and poor man-management, outplayed several teams already this season, worries all the time about the opposition, sticks square pegs in round holes, one up front.

Not too impressive so far.