Baffled by Moore - Does he know what he is doing?

Guest Derby owl
57 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

He tinkers way too much.

Look no further than the vital matches at the end of last season. 

As we know, we needed wins.In the 43rd match we won, beating Blackburn. So, for the vital 44th match, needing to win again, does he keep the winning Xl intact? Course not - 3 changes in the midfield/attack.

If he chopped and changed a winning side at that crucial stage of the season why is anyone surprised when he does it early season?

I think he chopps and changes his team every week to make out he's some sort of tactical genius and prove to everyone he knows what he's doing!

Proof is painfully obvious he hasn't got clue, and the fans know it!

I’m sorry, I really like the bloke and have tried to give him time to see his way of doing things 

But I honestly don’t believe he has one clue. He’s not a football manager 

40 coaching sessions with this group and we look just as bad (if not worse) than before he took over, and that group hadn’t been paid! 

He’s got no track record or anything else to suggest he’ll turn this around 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Having read through social media today and listening to fans at the ground, strangely most seem unanimous in their bafflement of some of the decisions today.

We went to Wigan and beat the league leaders on their own patch. In the process, we looked the most creative we have all season as we played as close to a 4-4-2 as we have all season. Patterson was very close to Gregory all game.

To my amazement Darren Moore, saw this, and for Oxford at home reverts back to the tactics that have started the apathy amongst the fan base, the tactics that have been getting us defeats whilst looking void of any creation. That alone was a joke not playing the same tactics as the last game, when we won!! We were more attacking away at Wigan then at home to Oxford!

Next on my list, Barry Bannan. What on earth was he doing there! That is almost as bad as when Monk played FF at left wing back. It's comical at times, watching Iorfa and especially Dunkley try and play out from the back, hitting the stands whilst Bannan was out on the wing somewhere. The most bizarre decision of the day.

BPF constantly playing out the back to Dunkley. What is this all about. Embarrassing. If I was the opposition watching a video of how we play, it is clear who to press in our team!

Why wait till second half to change? It was clear our tactics were not working. Why was Moore just stood there, looking like he was wondering why he forgot his umbrella. He could have changed the tactics after 15 minutes! Put Bannan into the CM straight away! But no, he has to waste 30 minutes of nothing football.

Taking Gregory off! Leave him on, we are at home! Stick two upfront and put Patterson in behind. No he leave Saido upfront on his own, the exact reason why Gregory was substituted.

The man management of Jaden Brown. What is going on there?

Could go on and on.

It is obvious we are going no where under Moore. He has the lowest win percentage of any Wednesday manager from the same amount of games (needs checking, but sure he does).

History is repeating itself from the Turner/Sturrock era. It was clear Turner improved the squad but had no idea how to manage it and get it functioning. In came Sturrock and we all know the rest. It was around this time.

Chairman over to you. No one would care if Moore went tomorrow. He has had enough time.  

Bang on the money 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

He tinkers way too much.

Look no further than the vital matches at the end of last season. 

As we know, we needed wins.In the 43rd match we won, beating Blackburn. So, for the vital 44th match, needing to win again, does he keep the winning Xl intact? Course not - 3 changes in the midfield/attack.

If he chopped and changed a winning side at that crucial stage of the season why is anyone surprised when he does it early season?

Agree with this.

At the end of last season we needed a more pragmatic approach to try to get the points to stay up. Then make the changes to play the style that Darren wants to play.

This season I gave him a clean slate and I have waited to pass comment on him until 10 games in.

So far it's been pretty poor stuff, in most games we have been second best. I don't think he is getting anything like the best out of the players at his disposal with style and tactics he is trying to deploy.

All I want to see are signs of improvement but I just don't see it at the moment. Most weeks he has been out Thought by the opponents manager.

One of the things I was hoping to see was an improvement on our dead balls as this can be practiced on the training ground, but there are no new ideas in that area.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, A E Neuman NYowl said:

Most weeks he has been out Thought by the opponents manager.

I actually don’t think being out-thought has anything to do with it. We’re so easy to play against—press us quickly and we’ll make mistakes. Every game. No thought required. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

56 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Everyone said ‘Great summer recruitment’ when no one had even seen them play a game! Same every year.

I always find this tendency amongst the fan base a little annoying, along with the assumption we have the best squad in the division, made without any real knowledge of other teams in the league.  We’ve certainly gone for quantity over quality when it comes to recruitment.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Derby owl said:

I think he chopps and changes his team every week to make out he's some sort of tactical genius and prove to everyone he knows what he's doing!

Proof is painfully obvious he hasn't got clue, and the fans know it!

Rod made for his own back by bringing in so many players. He has to switch things up to keep them happy.

I don't know the tipping point where we went from the right number of players to way too many, but it can't help having so many in. 

• Like 2

It's been said somewhere before but if his instructions on the training pitch are as errm uninspiring as errm his press conferences then errm the players will errm fall asleep while errm listening to what he errm has to errm say. 

Just errm saying. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, vulva said:

He deserves more time. But he needs a big result and quick. I thought Wigan was that result. Obviously not. I’m convinced the squad is good enough. I’m not convinced we have the tactical nouse to get up. 

And although a cliche, other teams are raining their game. Proper cup final stuff for some and we need to counter it. First goal is crucial and we don’t come out of the traps quick enough. In this league I’m a big fan of method football. Stop fannying around on our own 6 yard box. Play the channels, box em in, loads of crosses. Nail set pieces. This lot look over coached at the minute. 

He doesn't deserve anything mate,its the fans who are the only ones who deserve that..(with respect)

he needs to earn himself more time by doing whats required to entertain supporters paying a lot of money,to watch his dire defensive,unproductive ,possession style football.

With this squad of players,we should be top of the league and scoring goals and making chances for fun.

We are not doing that and rather than doing something about it,our manager is sticking to one striker up front,and rolling the ball out at the back,leaving opposing managers to just tell there side to high press.

We know what follows when that happens,it isnt going to improve,not working across the City,& not working either in Barnsley...

If he doesn't change(he wont) he has to go,because if he doesn't we may not even make the play offs...

Guest Andy W
6 hours ago, scilly owl said:

To answer your thread title,  no , he doesn’t know what he’s doing… and his post match interviews are utterly baffling, just like his tactics. 

And again re: the thread title, no-one at the club has the faintest clue either

It actually funny to see the post match stuff, things to work on in the week etc

Then same crap same crap next game

Rudderless shambles

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

NO

NO HE DID NOT

The chairman got us relegated

Totally agree mate the Chairman and his advisors(ultimately) have to take overall responsibility for our demise,and of course that includes managerial appointments People still however lay the blame at GM door,even after all we know,and after all this time!!!!!!

DM in my view however wasnt blameless mate,who in their right way of thinking,with a disjointed squad,would come into the Club and decide that a relegation battle was the time to adopt a 'new' style of play?

What was the point when the majority of the squad would be leaving at the season end?...a few more points would have seen us remain as a Championship Club,GM i feel would have got them,Thommo even i think could have managed it, so in that context I do think DM played a part in our relegation

15 hours ago, CourteenerOwl said:

Having read through social media today and listening to fans at the ground, strangely most seem unanimous in their bafflement of some of the decisions today.

We went to Wigan and beat the league leaders on their own patch. In the process, we looked the most creative we have all season as we played as close to a 4-4-2 as we have all season. Patterson was very close to Gregory all game.

To my amazement Darren Moore, saw this, and for Oxford at home reverts back to the tactics that have started the apathy amongst the fan base, the tactics that have been getting us defeats whilst looking void of any creation. That alone was a joke not playing the same tactics as the last game, when we won!! We were more attacking away at Wigan then at home to Oxford!

Next on my list, Barry Bannan. What on earth was he doing there! That is almost as bad as when Monk played FF at left wing back. It's comical at times, watching Iorfa and especially Dunkley try and play out from the back, hitting the stands whilst Bannan was out on the wing somewhere. The most bizarre decision of the day.

BPF constantly playing out the back to Dunkley. What is this all about. Embarrassing. If I was the opposition watching a video of how we play, it is clear who to press in our team!

Why wait till second half to change? It was clear our tactics were not working. Why was Moore just stood there, looking like he was wondering why he forgot his umbrella. He could have changed the tactics after 15 minutes! Put Bannan into the CM straight away! But no, he has to waste 30 minutes of nothing football.

Taking Gregory off! Leave him on, we are at home! Stick two upfront and put Patterson in behind. No he leave Saido upfront on his own, the exact reason why Gregory was substituted.

The man management of Jaden Brown. What is going on there?

Could go on and on.

It is obvious we are going no where under Moore. He has the lowest win percentage of any Wednesday manager from the same amount of games (needs checking, but sure he does).

History is repeating itself from the Turner/Sturrock era. It was clear Turner improved the squad but had no idea how to manage it and get it functioning. In came Sturrock and we all know the rest. It was around this time.

Chairman over to you. No one would care if Moore went tomorrow. He has had enough time.  

He's not helped himself by bringing in too many players - how can he develop a winning team when there's so much choice - and so far whatever combination he's tried, hasn't worked.  We showed some cohesion vs Newcastle U21s, but that's about it.  He has to look at himself regarding the sheer number of loans/buys in such a short time.  He can't keep everyone happy.  Some lazy moments out there yesterday which need sorting - too many leggy players...

6 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

We did go 4-4-2 in the second half. But he’s narrowed the pitch so we don’t play with wingers. Which is annoying.

Needs to narrow it another 20 feet on either side and they might get closer to the striker...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3