Are we the biggest underachievers in the country?

On 03/10/2021 at 20:44, sheffsteel said:

Biggest under achievers based on population and potential must be 

Bradford City, Plymouth Argyle, Bristol City or even non league Notts County.

Biggest under achievers based on previous success

Since the war Sheff Utd…never even reached a cup final 

Since the turn of the century Sheff Wed or maybe Sunderland 

Its quite a disgrace really how Sheffield as a city…the originators of football have been so crap (apart from Ron Atkinson years) for 50 years.

Don’t really agree about Forest under achieving.

They are historical no more than a lower medium sized club…their support has historically been decent but never impressive.

even in their own city it’s Notts County that still hold the best average attendance.

they massively over achieved when they won the European cups.

There’s no way Notts County have a higher historical average attendance than Forest. Happy to be proved wrong, but I really can’t see it. Forests all time average is 18k. Notts County can’t have hit more than 10k for the last 20 years. 

• Like 1

Guest Mcguigan

I think the OP is mistaking what we perceive our status as, as a club is over the last quarter of a century, rather than whether we’ve underachieved.

Underachieving, for me, can only be judged on your own personal expectations and it’s more about the team on the pitch underachieving than the club itself.

I can probably think of maybe 5 or 6 times in the last quarter of century where I think we’ve underachieved. There’s a couple where I think we’ve actually overachieved, 15/16 for example.

The vast majority of seasons in the last 25 years have probably been what I expected based on what we have had available to us, player wise.

On 03/10/2021 at 12:06, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s definitely us with a mention for Notts Forest. Sunderland were top flight 5 years ago and have been awful since, but if we’re talking 20 years they’ve not been as bad as us.

Can’f understand Newcastle.. they have no history of winning things. Big club, but not bigger than Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. And now the likes of Spurs and West Ham have new stadiums, plus Chelsea and Man City with the rich owners.. what would their baseline be if they got took over. They’d be looking at 4th-8th every year with the odd title challenge. Therefore finishing 12th-15th most seasons isn’t an underperformance of the same magnitude as SWFC.

• We’re basically a full 2 divisions below where we should be based on the size supporter base of the club.

10 hours ago, Mcguigan said:

I think the OP is mistaking what we perceive our status as, as a club is over the last quarter of a century, rather than whether we’ve underachieved.

Underachieving, for me, can only be judged on your own personal expectations and it’s more about the team on the pitch underachieving than the club itself.

I can probably think of maybe 5 or 6 times in the last quarter of century where I think we’ve underachieved. There’s a couple where I think we’ve actually overachieved, 15/16 for example.

The vast majority of seasons in the last 25 years have probably been what I expected based on what we have had available to us, player wise.

I think though if you compare us to similar size clubs,what we've had to spend,look at clubs with less history and smaller crowds in one horse towns that have been doing better than us for a number of years,you have to say we have gone wrong somewhere.

Championship playoffs twice in over 20 years has got to be under achieving for a club of our stature.

Utd have had the better of us for a long time during those 20 years. They were in the premier league more recently twice. Been in the playoffs a stack of times. Only really that spell in the pub league have we had the better of them really.

Outside of the top six or the smaller clubs in the championship and league one, i can't think of many who have been as bad for such a long period.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, owls maniac said:

There’s no way Notts County have a higher historical average attendance than Forest. Happy to be proved wrong, but I really can’t see it. Forests all time average is 18k. Notts County can’t have hit more than 10k for the last 20 years. 

I see what you mean….of course through out history Forest have nearly always had higher attendances. 

My point was 

Nottingham Forest highest ever average attendance is 32,715 in thr 1967-68 season.

Forest have only averaged over 30K on FOUR occasions in their entire history.

Where as Notts County highest ever average is 35,176 in the 1949-50 seasons

County have averaged over 30K on THREE occasions in their entire history.

7 hours ago, sheffsteel said:

I see what you mean….of course through out history Forest have nearly always had higher attendances. 

My point was 

Nottingham Forest highest ever average attendance is 32,715 in thr 1967-68 season.

Forest have only averaged over 30K on FOUR occasions in their entire history.

Where as Notts County highest ever average is 35,176 in the 1949-50 seasons

County have averaged over 30K on THREE occasions in their entire history.

Ahh ok got ya, that’s really interesting. I think Forest were a bit of a nothing club until Clough arrived. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Ahh ok got ya, that’s really interesting. I think Forest were a bit of a nothing club until Clough arrived. 

That’s the point regards Forest, brilliant history with Clough making them deservedly a special club.

Decent gates since Clough left, steady 22K to 24K most seasons.

However for most of their history before Clough arrived…they were a very underwhelming, a lower middle sized club.

Leeds United were the same before Revie arrived.

Neutrals talk about Leeds having a great history…but really they are talking about the start of the TV era 1965 to 1975 when they were great.

For decades Huddersfield Town were the number 1 club in West Yorkshire not Leeds United.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2021 at 03:43, eightbelow said:

We are a joke from top to bottom, have been for a while and don't see that changing any time soon.

Lucky for Wednesday that football is something that you can't shake because if we were  the club would not exist. I was thinking at the weekend my life wouldn't be any different if we went under, maybe its time for me to just sling my hook as my grandfather used to say.

I think this is a real interesting post and one that maybe underlines the thinking of more fans than we realise

We have been appalling for decades. The fans deserve so much better. The thing is you become apathetic and accepting that things will never change

When you have endured it for so long and the football reaches the point that even that doesn’t entertain you you start asking the question that eightbelow asks

Ive asked it and for me that would have been Unthinkable a few years ago

Ive already started missing the odd game because being frank I can’t be bothered. When I look on here after the game when I’ve not been I think I’ve made a good decision. Often the frustration in the posts is plain to see. Entertaining sometimes but very sad

But thats football I guess. I still love the game despite hating the money and politics around it  and hating the fact that nobody knows what formation we have played for donkeys years🤔

• Thanks 1