Are we the biggest underachievers in the country?

14 hours ago, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Biggest club underachieving in last 21 years 100%
bolton n Pompey went to league 2 ok but both had success .

Sunderland in prem for years

forest haven’t spent as much time as us in league 1

100% us. We are cursed lol 

Absolutely. If you think of it since 2000 then we have been the biggest underachievers in England comparative to our club size. 

We have arguably only had 4 decent seasons out of 21. That is dreadful. 

Clubs like Newcastle, Sunderland, Forest etc have had some grim times, but nothing on the scale we have had. It is a miracle we still get great support, but don't forget it is the likes of Liverpool, Newcastle and Leeds who have the 'most passionate' support with the SkySports love-in. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, flo said:

Port Vale, Swindon, Crewe, Wrexham. 

All them been crap forever

Wrexham have regularly beaten us over the years and probably do well in the Welsh FA Cup. Crewe have a poor reputation now, but used to be a gold mine of talent fed into the upper echelons.

Port Vale I’ll give you, and Swindon have done nothing since winning the league cup in the 60’s with Don Rogers in the team iirc.

We may have been out of the higher divisions than most sides over the years, but don't become down hearted because we will soon have an award that is uniquely ours.  We will be in the Guinness Book of Records as the team from all four divisions that has conceded most goals in added time than any other side, and what is more, we look likely to hold that record for years to come if we continue with our current form.

So there's always something good to look forward to.

• Haha 1

A club is for life  ,Always an Owl but yes we are under achievers , Football out of the window for me ,It is just the crack with mates a few pints etc. There is more chance of ending up in Division 2 than the premier with our owner .I have seen the good managers  ,But with all the new players that have arrived this year i thought would be consolidation .I must admit some of Moores team selections are strange , Chansiri  will pull the trigger if he fails ,I wont shout for his head results will seal his fate .

I don't think anybody has done as badly as us over the past 20 years that is a "big club".

When you consider in the mid to late 90's we were hunting around the top 6 with the big boys and getting into cup finals.

Since then though it's been like watching a Benny Hill rerun for 20 years

• Like 3

On 03/10/2021 at 20:06, 31Dec1966 said:

One of the best ever posts!  Without any question at all we are the biggest under achievers. Definitely in the top 20 British clubs by any measure. 21 years out of the top flight, mostly dire in that time yet still average 20,000 home and unlimited away. Best fans in the country let down by owners, chairmen, managers and players for many years. Twice we had the chance to join the elite, under Howard then Ron and blew it. With proper management we could still be Aston Villa or Everton, or at the very least West Brom or Burnley. We are a million miles away, and, in the great George Harrisons words "Isn't it a pity".

It could make you cry thinking about it. I’ll too pick a song to sum it up by the late great quiet Beatle “Wah wah” 😢 

39 minutes ago, Roscoe P. Coltrane said:

Time to face facts 

Some of us will be long gone by the time we get back to the highest division 

Judging by your comments, I would put you, at what, say in your mid 20’s ? 🤣

Edited by Baldrick
Typo
  • Haha 3

I think opinions on this will differ, depending on when you start your comparison.

If you’re old, like me, you may remember wondering what on earth Albert Quixall saw in Manchester United that would make him want to leave Wednesday, or why Harry Catterick would leave us for Everton.

You will always remember Keith Ellis scoring a hat-trick as we thumped Man U 7-2 at Old Trafford.

You remember finishing second in the league to the great double-winning Spurs team and thinking we wuz robbed.

You remember expecting to beat the likes of Roma and Barcelona at Hillsborough, because you expected to beat everybody.

Now if you start from there, the present state of play is a huge come down.

But if you start in the last twenty odd years, it’s just par for the course. You remember being here before, you’re hardly surprised to be here again. Not doing a Notts County looks like an achievement; so does not following Bury into limbo. And in what sense are Derby, champions more recently than us, doing a whole lot better?

The north in general has struggled economically for decades, while former also-ran clubs from the now much richer south have replaced northern outfits in the football elite. I mean Crystal Palace, Watford? You’re having a laugh, aren’t you?

But we can come again as long as we don’t lose the will and the heart needed for the struggle.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2021 at 23:16, legendaryswan said:

That award is surely Newcastles

Beat me to it!

According to their fans they should have won the Premier League at least ten times and the Champions League 5 times, not to mention the World Cup and Euros!!!

• Haha 1

We are a joke from top to bottom, have been for a while and don't see that changing any time soon.

Lucky for Wednesday that football is something that you can't shake because if we were  the club would not exist. I was thinking at the weekend my life wouldn't be any different if we went under, maybe its time for me to just sling my hook as my grandfather used to say.