Are we the biggest underachievers in the country?

United also had a number of managers before stumbling across Wilder. 

This league is not just about having the best players as we keep hearing. You need hard working players who will graft and fight for 90 mins and keep going and going. For me, that often wins out over ability. If you can pass a side off the park, have movement off the ball and leave your opposition wondering what the hell is going on then that's ok. But we are a million miles from that that and seem incapable of the basics at times. Therefore, a side that is hard working etc is going to get the better of us every time.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

6 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Id swap any day.

Enormous potential, but, like us, trophy winners back in the black and white days, although they were big in the mid 50s, there only trophy of note in the 70 years since was the fairs cup.

They are a fixture in the top division, but apart from time under Keegan havent really troubled the trophy engravers.

17 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

Same as everyone, i am sick to the back teeth of this club failing miserably.

I was hopeful this season, but so far we are nothing more than a mid table 3rd division team.

Is there any club, that has underachieved more than us in the country, over the last quarter of a century?  I cant think of anyone that comes close.

Given the fanbase, location, history etc no one is as bad as SWFC

Yes, without a doubt.  That's at least one prize we win.  Don't tell anyone else though, they might not notice as we're so far below the radar...

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

That award is surely Newcastles

Newcastle finished in the top 6 of the premier League and played in Europe quiet a few times in the last 25 years ...... Wednesday haven't done either and have spent 5 seasons in league one , Newcastle have never been there .

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MSN SYSOP said:

6 years and not won major trophy in 100 years 

We struggling at the moment but they have that around their necks and been in division 4

Some record that won nothing in 100 years , 6 years in league 1. At this present time ive no confidence within 6 years we will go up . I had optimism earlier in the season but seriously d moore has us playing dreadful football we are in the bottom 4 clubs in england for scoring goals , and the stats for touches in the box chances etc are bottom 4 . Totally unaceptable from a man what knows this league . If he wants this job he needs to get it sorted and now . 

• Like 2

I see it underachieving in relation to fan expectation from the ground up.

The whole setup is 3rd division.

The momentum and force required to lift this beast will be a big one.

We're talking someone coming in with a revolutionary mindset, who gets it. Gets the people.

Ultimately, I think moving away from Hillsborough, into a stadium that isn't too big for us, is needed.

We need identity.  

Forged in steel etc etc United are playing the game way above us at the minute, in most departments.

2 hours ago, Eastern said:

This is the longest period outside of top flight in our history.

Am I right in thinking we’ve had 15 top flight seasons in the last 50?

15 seasons out of 51 to be precise and counting of course , it's an embarrassing stat tbh .....no so called big club will have a worse record I wouldn't imagine , maybe our neighbours have , just shows you how poor both Sheffield teams have faired .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Kopparberg said:

Forest due to their European Cups. 

Then us. 

Not sure Forest have been in league one 5 times in the last 14 seasons , we have , before that we spent 5 seasons in div.3 in our entire history , these stats alone show how far we have fallen.

Forest were also pushing at the top of the championship regularly before their slump , unlike us who've had 2 good seasons in that league since 2000 !

3 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

In the last 25 years theyve been in pl 23. The 2 stints in the second tier resulted in instant promotion.

Theyve also been in the champions league 3 times, so sorry, i dont think they compare anywhere near as bad as us

Point taken. You're right. Thing is they've fallen from a pretty high level to being hopeless in the Prem  - we've basically never been there, well not for over 20 years anyway. A whole generation of fans rate us a poor club in a big City.

• Like 1

Over the last 20 years i'd say we have been the biggest under achievers.

We've been out of the premier league probably longer than most clubs of a similar stature. We've spent too many seasons in the third tier and we've only been a top 6 championship side twice.

Forest have been in the top flight more recently and always seem to be in with a shout of promotion even if they fail. Sunderland were a top flight team more recently and currently looking good.

At this moment we are the poorest "big club" i reckon.

• Like 1

Biggest under achievers based on population and potential must be 

Bradford City, Plymouth Argyle, Bristol City or even non league Notts County.

Biggest under achievers based on previous success

Since the war Sheff Utd…never even reached a cup final 

Since the turn of the century Sheff Wed or maybe Sunderland 

Its quite a disgrace really how Sheffield as a city…the originators of football have been so crap (apart from Ron Atkinson years) for 50 years.

Don’t really agree about Forest under achieving.

They are historical no more than a lower medium sized club…their support has historically been decent but never impressive.

even in their own city it’s Notts County that still hold the best average attendance.

they massively over achieved when they won the European cups.

• Like 3

Wednesday are the 13th biggest club in England based on all-time average attendance… above us Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds are from one club cities. 

We’re 14th based on competitive honours won and 18th based on debate, argument and conjecture (90 mins magazine). 23rd based on 8 categories: Crowds, Global Fanbase, Major Trophies, Recent Major Trophies, League Finishes, Player Quality and Commercial Revenue (the Athletic)
We are massive underachievers. We have punched so far below our weight since the 90’s that it is both tragic and embarrassing. 

Richards, Allen & Chansiri should hang their heads in shame. If it was up to me Satan would chew each of them for all eternity in one of his 3 mouths in the Ninth Circle of Hell.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Wednesday are the 13th biggest club in England based on all-time average attendance… above us Newcastle, Sunderland, Leeds are from one club cities. 

We’re 14th based on competitive honours won and 18th based on debate, argument and conjecture (90 mins magazine). 23rd based on 8 categories: Crowds, Global Fanbase, Major Trophies, Recent Major Trophies, League Finishes, Player Quality and Commercial Revenue (the Athletic)
We are massive underachievers. We have punched so far below our weight since the 90’s that it is both tragic and embarrassing. 

Richards, Allen & Chansiri should hang their heads in shame. If it was up to me Satan would chew each of them for all eternity in one of his 3 mouths in the Ninth Circle of Hell.

One of the best ever posts!  Without any question at all we are the biggest under achievers. Definitely in the top 20 British clubs by any measure. 21 years out of the top flight, mostly dire in that time yet still average 20,000 home and unlimited away. Best fans in the country let down by owners, chairmen, managers and players for many years. Twice we had the chance to join the elite, under Howard then Ron and blew it. With proper management we could still be Aston Villa or Everton, or at the very least West Brom or Burnley. We are a million miles away, and, in the great George Harrisons words "Isn't it a pity".

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

We're also 15th for all-time seasons in the top flight (down from 12th the last time we were there).

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Sova said:

We're also 15th for all-time seasons in the top flight (down from 12th the last time we were there).

And sadly we will keep dropping down that league , a very sad state of affairs and seemingly without little hope of ever getting back in the top tier.