Are we the biggest underachievers in the country?

29 minutes ago, MSN SYSOP said:

6 years and not won major trophy in 100 years 

We struggling at the moment but they have that around their necks and been in division 4

Sad state of affairs in sheffield, when the biggest rivals for biggest underachiever in the country is the blavdes

36 minutes ago, wakefieldowl said:

Sad state of affairs in sheffield, when the biggest rivals for biggest underachiever in the country is the blavdes

No its great rs was all over it and some rs crew saying this is it...think Liverpool spending but it turned out hartlepool spending....got no time for s2 mob at all and I'll make no apology for this....if they went bust it would not bother me 1 bit.

10 hours ago, wakefieldowl said:

Same as everyone, i am sick to the back teeth of this club failing miserably.

I was hopeful this season, but so far we are nothing more than a mid table 3rd division team.

Is there any club, that has underachieved more than us in the country, over the last quarter of a century?  I cant think of anyone that comes close.

Given the fanbase, location, history etc no one is as bad as SWFC

Unfortunately I'm inclined to agree with you.  I had serious doubts about Moore before the season started, then when it did start i thought maybe i was wrong, but now after having lost to teams like morecombe, relative newcomers to the football league, who we, the oldest club in the country "hope to learn from", its clear that we are a mediocre third tier team with no strategy or clue that anyone can fathom. Losing at home to crappy oxford after winning away to wigan kinda proves the point. Very disappointed!!

There's probably still a novelty to this league for Sunderland, they were in the prem as recent as 2017, they probably still see this as their bottoming out.

Whereas we've pretty much been rubbish now for 21 years and in our third stint in this league.

We're a championship, league one yo-yo club

Hard to see the next 20 years being anything other than the same

• Like 4

There are thousands of Wednesday fans who have grown up supporting a lower league club. To these being lower league is what they are used to and what they have come to expect.

Given that we are a lower league club and have been for a long time we are not underachieving at all. We are performing to expectations. I have even seen comments from some on here who don't want us ever to be premier league. What on earth has become of us?

We need to overachieve consistently to get back in the big time. We are not going to even challenge in the third tier when we can't attack with pace and penetration. Sadly things are what they are, Sheffield Wednesday are a lower league outfit and are where they deserve to be.

It makes me weep to have to acknowledge this truth.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nickswfc said:

Hard to see the next 20 years being anything other than the same

Can never say that for sure, plenty of clubs have been traditionally small and/or long term lower league or Championship level at best but turned it around quite quickly when they got owners/managers who knew what they were doing and made to the PL - Hull, Bournemouth, Wigan, Brighton, Burnley, Stoke, Fulham, even Leeds for the best part of 20 years etc.

Sadly this just seems to be something that happens to other clubs, even when we finally got an owner with money to throw at the team we ended up worse than when he started... 

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313

It’s definitely us with a mention for Notts Forest. Sunderland were top flight 5 years ago and have been awful since, but if we’re talking 20 years they’ve not been as bad as us.

Can’f understand Newcastle.. they have no history of winning things. Big club, but not bigger than Man Utd, Liverpool or Arsenal. And now the likes of Spurs and West Ham have new stadiums, plus Chelsea and Man City with the rich owners.. what would their baseline be if they got took over. They’d be looking at 4th-8th every year with the odd title challenge. Therefore finishing 12th-15th most seasons isn’t an underperformance of the same magnitude as SWFC.

We’re basically a full 2 divisions below where we should be based on the size of the club.