So come on… what’s causing the lack of success?

For those being critical of playing out from the back, tactics etc.  again we do not have a forward currently fit who gives any defender a problem pace wise hence we are pushed up the park and squeezed .  We therefore have to try and somehow pull the opposition around a bit and bend them out of shape to create space and passing chances further up the pitch.  That means playing from the back and taking some defensive risks.  

if we didn’t do this we would be even more inept as we were many times in the last 3 years in the championship, aimlessly walloping balls up to Rhodes, Nuhiu  etc etc with no pace at all to trouble a defender. Replace those names with Gregory and we are no different if we go more direct.

Without pace up front , which means Windass fit and Berahino properly fit, we have a long season ahead where we will be relying on clean sheets for points not goals . No different to us under Jos, Bruce or Monk in fact, or the second Carlos season.  

3 minutes ago, mcmigo said:

For those being critical of playing out from the back, tactics etc.  again we do not have a forward currently fit who gives any defender a problem pace wise hence we are pushed up the park and squeezed .  We therefore have to try and somehow pull the opposition around a bit and bend them out of shape to create space and passing chances further up the pitch.  That means playing from the back and taking some defensive risks.  

if we didn’t do this we would be even more inept as we were many times in the last 3 years in the championship, aimlessly walloping balls up to Rhodes, Nuhiu  etc etc with no pace at all to trouble a defender. Replace those names with Gregory and we are no different if we go more direct.

Without pace up front , which means Windass fit and Berahino properly fit, we have a long season ahead where we will be relying on clean sheets for points not goals . No different to us under Jos, Bruce or Monk in fact, or the second Carlos season.  

You don't need a striker with pace, you need a striker who can hold the ball up and bring the wingers and midfielders into play. It's not all about pace. 

A big, strong battering ram of a striker is what's needed. 

I think too many managers over complicate the game.  When I studied Psychology of Sport at uni, we looked a lot at how coaches and managers give instruction to individuals and teams.  Studies suggest that players either don't remember the vast majority of instruction, or they misremember it.  I reckon many of our managers in recent years have tried to be too clever.  

I also think we have a culture of apathy at the club, which comes from the fans and seeps into the club.  This goes back twenty years, where we were just happy to have a club.  We have been so accepting of the **** that has been served up, that many fans are still living off the "glory" of two failed play off campaigns under Carlos.  

There just doesn't seem to be any urgency at the club, at any level.  If there's no urgency, no hunger to win every battle in every game, then you see clubs our size lose to clubs like Oxford (no disrespect intended). 

12 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

You don't need a striker with pace, you need a striker who can hold the ball up and bring the wingers and midfielders into play. It's not all about pace. 

A big, strong battering ram of a striker is what's needed. 

Our forwards are getting the ball too far from the opponent goal.  Was same last two seasons. A big old unit wont change that.  Paterson, Nuhiu, Gregory - strong lads, but get pushed up the park by centre backs as defenders know they dont have the legs to skin you when one comes through or over the top.  You have a quicker forward, the centre halves arent as confident pushing you up the park as they know one lobbed over puts you in big trouble - so the CB's drop back as they want to be closer to their keeper so he can clean up ones coming over the top and through before a quick striker gets onto it.  Just the threat of pace gets you another 5/10 yards up the pitch vs what we do today.

Gregory. 

I like the bloke, however he doesn't fit this team.  He actively hampers it. 

He's static and slow. Always facing our own goal. His shooting has also been terrible. He's always a couple of yards inside their defence, clogging midfield. 

Kamberi and yesterday Berahino stretched their defence, turned the defenders. This made space for other players and opened up midfield. Palmer yesterday was running riot in the second half as the CBs were chasing Berahino all over and out of position. 

This is what other teams are doing to us, while their CBs pretty much ignore Gregory in the middle of the pitch and help cover the wingers as he's no threat whatsoever. 

1 minute ago, mcmigo said:

Our forwards are getting the ball too far from the opponent goal.  Was same last two seasons. A big old unit wont change that.  Paterson, Nuhiu, Gregory - strong lads, but get pushed up the park by centre backs as defenders know they dont have the legs to skin you when one comes through or over the top.  You have a quicker forward, the centre halves arent as confident pushing you up the park as they know one lobbed over puts you in big trouble - so the CB's drop back as they want to be closer to their keeper so he can clean up ones coming over the top and through before a quick striker gets onto it.  Just the threat of pace gets you another 5/10 yards up the pitch vs what we do today.

Of course what you want ideally is someone who has both - pace and a ram.  I will never forget Tammy Abrahams performance at Hillsborough as an 18 year old when he did exactly that and had Tom Lees and Sam Hutchinson retreating to our goalline whimpering like dogs on bonfire night.

3 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Gregory. 

I like the bloke, however he doesn't fit this team.  He actively hampers it. 

He's static and slow. Always facing our own goal. His shooting has also been terrible. He's always a couple of yards inside their defence, clogging midfield. 

Kamberi and yesterday Berahino stretched their defence, turned the defenders. This made space for other players and opened up midfield. Palmer yesterday was running riot in the second half as the CBs were chasing Berahino all over and out of position. 

This is what other teams are doing to us, while their CBs pretty much ignore Gregory in the middle of the pitch and help cover the wingers as he's no threat whatsoever. 

Completely agree.

Windass also cannot get fit quick enough.

missing a midfield battler, hope Luongo is fir soon. Also missing Windass, Paterson makes a difference but Gregory is not as good as i thought, doesn't win many headers. For all the wingers we have i think we need to give Theo a longer run out, hope he impresses on Tuesday

I am convinced that Moore doesn't know his best lineup, constantly changing all areas. He overthinks the opposition, picking a system for them rather than letting them worry about us. He is risk averse and wont play an attacking style of football. He is stubborn and wont change his attitude to playing it out from the back although it has cost us goals due to the pressure put on our defence.

• Like 2