So come on… what’s causing the lack of success?

The current obsession in football circles of playing out from the back.

If you play this way you have to have the right players and accept you will concede goals and have the courage and confidence to outscore the opposites.

We don't have the right players or any courage and confidence.  Square pegs in round holes.

• Like 4

Very noticable yesterday that teams are happy for Dunkley to be the defender playing the ball out - this often leads to dangerous loss of possession and rarely leads to a good pass forward.

Bannan gets no space as the opposition will always stay tight to him.

We have no defensive players playing in midfield so our defence is always getting overloaded.  

Opposition teams have worked out how to stop us playing and they are always playing to their max where as we are up and down in terms of energy, determination and mental strength.

• Like 3

A lot of incoming players in a very short space of time. 

Dunkley playing at centre back and not having anyone in the middle of the park who is capable of winning the first ball. 

Oh and a decent left back. Its shame Pudil didn’t bring his boots with him yesterday, never replaced him IMO. 

I think the expectation is too great. After relegation, the first year is to avoid a further relegation and stabilise, second season to rebuild and third to try for promotion.  Those expecting us to go straight backup are dreaming. Then bear in mind our financial predicament and our squad. Free transfers and loans from clubs which have better players in those positions and a few already here which others clubs would not  pay the going rate for. 
The club remains in serious trouble and the manager, whoever, can only do so much. My assessment is it will take a decade to really sort it out and there remains a risk that the club might not make it. We live in one of the socially and financially deprived areas, South Yorkshire. Prepare for a very long haul and people of my age will never see our club back in the top division in our lifetime. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, McRightSide said:

I would boil it down to one simple cliche

Putting the cart before the horse.

That is, being beholden to a style of play vs building one around the players you actually have

Nail on head.

The bizarre thing being. He's largely had a blank canvass to work from and, if reports are to be believed ,has had a large say in recruitment. 

All so bizarre.

• Like 1

Looks over complicated to me.

The GK & CB are constantly encouraged to play out which is causing more problems than solutions.

We focus on just being high up the pitch. But then we struggle to break anyone down. Then that leaves us vulnerable to a counter attack.

Out of position players isn’t helping either. We had Bannan on the right, then Adeniran I couldn’t understand why when in a losing position we didn’t throw Corbeanu down the right. We lost any bite in the middle moving Adeniran. 

I also don’t like the handling of Brown. He was excellent against Wigan and your reward is to be dropped? 

• Like 1

Yesterday in particular, our ball control and passing was appalling.  Oxford got the ball down and found their men with passes into runners both wide and down the channels.  Wednesday for some reason couldn't bring it down or find men in space.  Movement was severely lacking too, especially at throw-ins, where our players were like shop window mannekins.

9 minutes ago, 0114 said:

I also don’t like the handling of Brown. He was excellent against Wigan and your reward is to be dropped? 

Unless Brown has some long standing injury that needs managing week by week, that we don't know about the constant dropping of him makes little to zero sense. IMO

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Aingarth said:

I think the expectation is too great. After relegation, the first year is to avoid a further relegation and stabilise, second season to rebuild and third to try for promotion.  Those expecting us to go straight backup are dreaming. Then bear in mind our financial predicament and our squad. Free transfers and loans from clubs which have better players in those positions and a few already here which others clubs would not  pay the going rate for. 
The club remains in serious trouble and the manager, whoever, can only do so much. My assessment is it will take a decade to really sort it out and there remains a risk that the club might not make it. We live in one of the socially and financially deprived areas, South Yorkshire. Prepare for a very long haul and people of my age will never see our club back in the top division in our lifetime. 

Absolutely bang on.

We have no divine right to bounce straight back up. 

How long have Sunderland and Pompey been down here now?

35 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Nail on head.

The bizarre thing being. He's largely had a blank canvass to work from and, if reports are to be believed ,has had a large say in recruitment. 

All so bizarre.

I think we have a couple of key injuries that are hampering us 

Namely Byers and Luongo

What Moore needs to do is recognize that and adapt. AND he needs to play Johnson offensively not defensively.

I don’t think we’re a million miles away tbh.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Namely Byers and Luongo

What Moore needs to do is recognize that and adapt. AND he needs to play Johnson offensively not defensively.

I'm sure I saw a stat this week that said (before Wigan) Luongo was top of out midfield tackles won table. 

Which for a players who's played one game...

We certainly miss that type.

9 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Namely Byers and Luongo

Agree, with what you say, but we are a million miles away if Moore does not recognize it.

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Namely Byers and Luongo

Apparently Luongo is back sooner than we anticipated.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Owlinmad said:

The current obsession in football circles of playing out from the back.

If you play this way you have to have the right players and accept you will concede goals and have the courage and confidence to outscore the opposites.

We don't have the right players or any courage and confidence.  Square pegs in round holes.

Think it was Clough who said the keeper should get the ball as far up the field as possible every time because the further it is from your goal the further the opposition have to get to be able to score. Summat like that.

Edited by darra

5 minutes ago, Ever the pessimist said:

Apparently Luongo is back sooner than we anticipated.

What, next April 😀 seriously we shouldn’t rely on him because he’s injury prone. He plays a couple of matches then he’s out for 3 months. It’s a shame really because we are missing him. 

• Like 1

- Numerous chopping/changing of teams and tactics. 
- Playing players out of position - Brown on LW, Johnson at LB, Bannan on RW, Wing as a DM, Adeniran then moved to RW! 
- Systems that don’t work with the players we have - instructing Iorfa and Dunkley to play out the back is an absolute disaster! 
- Midfield with no backbone. Slow in the press and in a coma when going forward!

Genuinely believe we’ve the personnel to get out of this league but DMs just over complicating it whatever he’s trying to do! Have the players play in their proper positions and play more direct would be a good start. 

Guest Andy W
18 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Let’s not just say the manager or chairman or players or lack of mental strength

Someone tell me the actual reason these tactics and lineups aren’t working 

Don’t say Bannan either

Tell me what’s causing the lack of chances

The lack of creativity and goals 

Why are we stuttering and struggling to score and win?

You've ruled out my answer..players