European Football 2021-22

2 minutes ago, Birstall Owl said:

Yep

Can see him in the MLS soon

Probably. 

His number have dropped off hugely from last season. We are talking about Messi here, so it's hard to believe he's suddenly become a less effective/impactful player. Yes, he's getting on a bit but...you just watch him and there just isn't the intensity anymore, no real spark. 

He looks like a guy who has joined the Harlem Globetrotters and doesn't really know what's going off. 

Shame as he is the GOAT for me. 

This certainly was the season where Messi and Ronaldo ended up feeling a bit more like normal humans. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Probably. 

His number have dropped off hugely from last season. We are talking about Messi here, so it's hard to believe he's suddenly become a less effective/impactful player. Yes, he's getting on a bit but...you just watch him and there just isn't the intensity anymore, no real spark. 

He looks like a guy who has joined the Harlem Globetrotters and doesn't really know what's going off. 

Shame as he is the GOAT for me. 

This certainly was the season where Messi and Ronaldo ended up feeling a bit more like normal humans. 

Could also say the same a out Ronny at utd

Just now, Burnsie said:

I think he's having similar issues. 

Ronaldo is probably a bit more driven than Messi. That's not a knock on Messi, I just get the sense that Ronaldo is almost a bit borderline psychotic with trying to be the best whilst it has always come a bit more naturally to Lionel. 

However, Ronaldo is now finding himself at 37 playing in a very, very average team (by his standards) and he knows that they're crap and he's not going to be able to make them any better. 

• Like 1

Was sort of expecting Ronaldo to drop off before Messi, just because his game is (IMO) built more around his domineering physicality and athleticism. I know he has adjusted his game brilliantly over the years, but he still seemed more reliant on his physical dominance for success than Messi. And whilst the guy is obsessive about the management of his fitness, there is obviously a natural slowing process that has to occur at some stage. 

But Messi’s game has dropped off so far at the same time. He was just drifting and ambling for the most part tonight, and he’s put in plenty of other performances like that this season too. 

As you say SiJ, definitely the turning season for both of them, and the season where the likes of Salah and Mbappe replaced them as the players most capable of influencing the big games. 

1 minute ago, owls maniac said:

There goes Poch’s chances of being in the Old Trafford dugout next season. 

Total bridesmaid of a manager.

Oh, I don't know. 

Reckon he would fit in perfectly with the current Man Yoo set up :duntmatter:

9 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

Was sort of expecting Ronaldo to drop off before Messi, just because his game is (IMO) built more around his domineering physicality and athleticism. I know he has adjusted his game brilliantly over the years, but he still seemed more reliant on his physical dominance for success than Messi. And whilst the guy is obsessive about the management of his fitness, there is obviously a natural slowing process that has to occur at some stage. 

But Messi’s game has dropped off so far at the same time. He was just drifting and ambling for the most part tonight, and he’s put in plenty of other performances like that this season too. 

As you say SiJ, definitely the turning season for both of them, and the season where the likes of Salah and Mbappe replaced them as the players most capable of influencing the big games. 

I feel like Messi has just lost the love for the game since he left Barca.

On paper he should, event at his age be coasting in the French League. He looks uninterested.

That PSG team look bang average too.

Ronaldo is still trying, you can see in his face how much he wants it to work for him at Man Utd, but other than the odd goal here and there he has been nothing special.

This is the end of the road for both players I feel in terms of their dominance. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, owls maniac said:

There goes Poch’s chances of being in the Old Trafford dugout next season. 

Total bridesmaid of a manager.

I'd say the total opposite now . Man U have a better chance of getting him now PSG are out of the champions league, that's PSG's holy grail & another season goes by without it.

My prediction is he will be out of PSG and In Old Trafford by the summer.

4 minutes ago, Mr Mercury said:

I'd say the total opposite now . Man U have a better chance of getting him now PSG are out of the champions league, that's PSG's holy grail & another season goes by without it.

My prediction is he will be out of PSG and In Old Trafford by the summer.

Great. Another manager who’s won fizz all. He should go back to Spurs when Conte inevitably walks in the summer 

Edited by owls maniac
  • Like 1

Whole thing's a waste of time. 

They've conceded what should be Europe's biggest one horse race to Monaco and Lille since this whole "project" started and still done absolutely nothing in the CL. Likewise with Messi. Messi's individual numbers don't really matter. He was signed to win them the CL, and if they're not doing that then he may as well not be there. 

13 hours ago, Burnsie said:

Yes and no. The "why is he there" sentiment is the same but for slightly different reasons. The reason for PSG wanting Messi is far more straight forward and obvious, with an actual tangible goal at the end of it (that they've failed on achieving). 

Ronaldo is at Man U based on sentiment and to stop him going to City. They weren't signing Ronaldo away from winning the PL or CL when he signed and aren't any closer now he's there. 

Neither move looks particularly sparking, but they're both in their 30's now. This season is probably just the first real reminder that we're at the end of their dominance of the game.

Problem with PSG is at this level, you can't defend with 3 players stood on the half way line. Domestically they'll get away with it, because of the standard of opposition so defending with 7 players is probably still doable against the standard of players in the league, but in the champions league defending with Messi, Neymar and Mbappe strolling around the half way line, not pressing centre backs, not tracking opposition full backs etc you get crucified and it's absolute suicide really. 

At barce it would so well for Messi because he'd be playing in a front 3 with Suarez, Pedro, Griezmann, Sanchez, Villa, Eto'o and the rest, and they'd all muck in defensively to allow Messi to stand up front, you just can't get away with 3 players not tracking back and defending at elite level 

• Thanks 1