Paterson and Gregory

Just now, Ash77 said:

Thought pato was immense individually and for how the team dynamic changed with him central.

Gregory grafts but not clinical so would be interesting to see how berahino fares with pato if given a chance, with windas left and brown lb to break lower placed teams down.

I’d have liked to see 20 mins from Berahino along side Paterson last night. I like Gregory but it’s not fair to make him run his nads of for the full 90 at his age! 

12 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Apart from that sitter, absolutely ran their balls off and caused some mayhem up top - allowed us to go long too and not rely on playing out from the back, which if we did tonight we would’ve been in trouble - Wigan looked hot on us coming forward but ran out of steam. 

Surely these two must have cemented their place in side up top? 

Yep.

Both cause issues for defences, with their physicality and their willingness to run the channels and chase lost balls.

Moore has to find a way of playing with these two at the point of attack.

Whether that's in a 4-4-2 or a 3-5-2, a 3-4-1-2 I dunno. But, I think that has to be the way forward.

Personally I'd like to see us go with something like this...

-------------------------------BPF-------------------------------

--------------Iorfa------Dunkley------Hutchinson-----

-------------------Adeniran------Bannan---------Johnson

Shodipo------------------Berahino---------------------------

---------------------Gregory-----------Paterson---------------

That's an offensive formation, with Shodipo playing as a winger with Iorfa & Adeniran's pace covering the space left behind him. I look at how Rotherham use Ogbene and see no reason why Shodipo's energy shouldn't be an asset in that position. This system allows us to use players in the natural position. Wing is a replacement of Berhaino in certain games. Hunt for Shodipo. Palmer could slot into the back three. Byers is suited sitting deep. Brown & Johnson equally adept at left wing back.

I don't think for a minute we'll go with that...but I just feel that shape gives us our best chance to get our most talented players on the pitch, in positions where they could do some damage.

18 minutes ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Is everybody on drugs???

They did ok together.Fato Pato made a difference for sure.

Gregory not sold on him at all,if thats our front 2 promotion then rest of team better start chipping in...

UTO

Completely agree about getting more goals in the team , for me  we had 3 players who’d maybe score last night ( Gregory , Paterson and aderinan) and there hardly prolific. Hopefully Windass coming back and getting shodipo in the team would help . Iorfa really needs to start chipping in as well . The amount of players we have who simply rarely or never score is scary. 

We need someone faster up top.

There were a few times when a through ball was on and we passed it sideways because Gregory was a couple of yards inside their defence.

He always seems to be half a yard short, either getting to passes or crosses. He's just missed or glanced 5-6  crosses so far off the top of my head.

We play better putting in balls behind, with the opposition facing their own goal. Gregory, although he had his best game for us yesterday, isn't the man for that role.

The assist was because the player being chased thought he had enough time to stop the ball and turn before Gregory got there. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Probably would, away at the team top of the league.

But at home to Oxford they shouldn't, their quality should come through.

Paterson and Gregory great for a battle, not if you want to see some football being played.

I’ll take Paterson and Gregory right now. 

We need to grind out results. F@@k football right now. 

Winning/aggressive mentality much more important. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RichSheffWeds said:

I’ll take Paterson and Gregory right now. 

We need to grind out results. F@@k football right now. 

Winning/aggressive mentality much more important. 

Agree. gregory hit the bar and battled for the ball to get the cross in for the goal. Paterson could easily have had a hat trick and has that aggressive mentality that other fans and teams hate. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Apart from that sitter, absolutely ran their balls off and caused some mayhem up top - allowed us to go long too and not rely on playing out from the back, which if we did tonight we would’ve been in trouble - Wigan looked hot on us coming forward but ran out of steam. 

100% in this league thats whats required , at millwall gregory had morrison up top with him and it was some double act not pleasing on the eye but effective . playing tappy sideways football from the back with bannan goes nowhere . last night much better and works . wigan are a very decent team and will go up either top 2 or playoffs , if we finish above them we will be going up. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, TodwickOwl said:

Are they legends already.

10 hours ago, DIPPS_S.W.F.C said:

Is everybody on drugs???

They did ok together.Fato Pato made a difference for sure.

Gregory not sold on him at all,if thats our front 2 promotion then rest of team better start chipping in...

UTO

It’s strange.

Im far from sold on Gregory, but his contribution has been quite effective.

583 minutes

2 goals

2 proper assists 

10 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

It’s strange.

Im far from sold on Gregory, but his contribution has been quite effective.

583 minutes

2 goals

2 proper assists 

Id class him as doing "ok so far" without pulling up many trees.

Hopefully he keeps on improving and showing us what he is capable of.

If we're going to play a 4231 then Paterson is the outstanding candidate to play in the 10 role. Bannan clearly isn't suited to it, and in my opinion neither is Wing. I think Moore has to be brave now and stick with Pato behind Gregory and therefore leave out Bannan or Wing in centre midfield, i suppose that's if he sticks with Hutch in there and Dunkley at centre back. We're obviously too light in midfield if we play a 2 so playing Paterson in the 10 is ideal as he can easily drop back in and pick up in centre midfield. Would be very disappointed to see one of him or Gregory left out on Saturday now

BPF

Palmer                Iorfa                Dunks          Brown

Hutch

Adeniran

Shodipo            Pato              Bannan

Berahino

Would be my starting 11 on Sat.  If Luongo is fit it would be same but Hutch for Dunkley and Luongo lining up alongside Adeniran at the heart of midfield.