Paterson and Gregory

I rarely feel sorry for professional footballers but last night Gregory got a little sympathy from me. He was absolutely outstanding and deserved his goal, ran himself into the ground and his work for Patterson's goal is something we haven't had in the team for a number of years (O'Grady perhaps the last to do this sort of job?).

I honestly think if the ball had fell to him in the 60th minute he would put that away, maybe a bit of tired legs crept in. He almost had too much time rather instinctively finishing it. 

Last night was the type of performance i was hoping to see 3/4 games ago...the signs looked good last night as it had a bit of everything but the work rate and desire to run for each other was very good.

• Like 3

Fantastic to read some positivity on here after a great result last night, which I predicted.
Tbf, I predict a win every game so I’m bound to be right eventually!

Hoping we can put a good run together now and stop some of this sack Moore nonsense which has been gaining traction recently. Like others, I can’t wait for Windass to join the squad, as I think he will cause mayhem at this level. 

• Like 1

They worked so well together last night, Paterson especially was immense, what a finish for someone with "no footballing ability" hitting a half volley like that is one of the hardest skills going and he hit it perfectly. Gregory deserved a goal as well, he could do with getting another soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dutch McLovin said:

He was shattered. Still should put it away but you could see his legs didn’t work as quick as his head lol

In my opinion we should have took him off around the 75 min mark 

He was 8 yards out with only the keeper to beat - it was a woeful finish.

I will caveat this by saying he played well last night 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

He was 8 yards out with only the keeper to beat - it was a woeful finish.

I will caveat this by saying he played well last night 

I agree it was woeful.

But like I said I just don’t think he had the energy in his legs. Would have been better swinging 

Thought pato was immense individually and for how the team dynamic changed with him central.

Gregory grafts but not clinical so would be interesting to see how berahino fares with pato if given a chance, with windas left and brown lb to break lower placed teams down.

I thought Gregory looked a bit tired last night and wasn’t holding the ball up as well as in other games. But he still managed to hit the bar, make a goal for Paterson and give the defence headaches all night! He is 33 so Saturday then Tuesday is a tough schedule and I was surprised he didn’t get subbed with 20 mins to go. Paterson was also quite wasteful with his passing on occasion but he was absolutely horrible to the Wigan team last night. Right in their faces for the whole night. He is a big nasty bully who runs around all night, roughing up the opposition and causing absolute chaos. He also hit a crazy good volley earlier in the game and his strike for the goal was fantastic. We need him on the pitch if we want to win games. Also he looks like a badger. Which should be his nickname really. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, jonnyowl said:

Probably would, away at the team top of the league.

But at home to Oxford they shouldn't, their quality should come through.

Paterson and Gregory great for a battle, not if you want to see some football being played.

I want to see wins 

playing football doesn’t win you games have you watched us this year?

Plymouth our fought us 

Shrewsbury, Ipswich was ineffective 

play with your heart in your sleeves with a few s##tho uses in there and you’ll fight for a victory 

Patterson nearly scored two goals tonight that could have easily been a goal of the month contender he looked sharp and was very effective 

Gregory worked his socks off appearing in both boxes in open play snd if it wasn’t for his efforts chasing everything Patterson wouldn’t have got his goal 

both were fantastic tonight they helped us ground out and excellent away win at Wigan 

not many teams will do that this year