We would be MUCH better without Bannan

9 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

You are so painfully blinkered when it comes to Barry Bannan.

Let's look at this at a macro scale. When Barry Bannan was unquestionably our main player and captain, the club got relegated. We will not get promoted with him playing for this club. 

His current stats for Sheffield Wednesday are:

Played 267

Assisted 40 (one every 6.5 ish games... he takes every set piece)

Scored 14 (one every 19 games)

He barely contributes defensively.

You are getting in arguments with fellow Wednesday fans when they point out that this mid-table League One midfielder, with one goal and one assist in 8 games, has flaws that are of detriment to the side. They're not saying he isn't good enough, they're just saying that he has habits that are not great that have been witnessed over 250+ games... and you're having a go at them for it.

Take a step back.

To be honest the vast majority of those jumping on the currently fashionable anti-Bannan bandwagon only started since he missed that penalty against Shrewsbury.

I don't recall many dissenters saying he shouldn't be in the team after the Doncaster game?  And I'm sure they'd be quiet today had that last minute shot yesterday been a few inches lower... 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

A lot of teams have a player in there who is given the role as ‘free roamer’

Do you not think tactics are implemented beforehand with that in mind? 

deary me 

Not us. We can’t cope when one of our players tries too hard and goes closing down. Instead of someone dropping in to cover they all have to stop in their positions and it leaves a gap. 
Deary me. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StudentOwl said:

You're kidding, right? Do you just close your eyes? He does it probably once every two games. Here's a stereotypical example of it, maybe the 1/10 times it does something effective, rather than leaving us a man short because he's cream crackered himself for the next 15 seconds out of position 

Are you for real , first of all he tries to shut the defender down which he did , then he carries on and tries to shut the keeper down 

So according to you he should have stayed in his own half and let the defender bring the ball forward unopposed ?

Ffs 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

A lot of teams have a player in there who is given the role as ‘free roamer’

Do you not think tactics are implemented beforehand with that in mind? 

deary me 

"Free roamer"????

Give over fresh...I mean i can cope with the number 10 in the hole behind the holding whateverthef.ook!!...but you've invented yer own fookwhittery there

Darren Moore

Errr..i'm playing a "free roamer", slightly behind a roving number 10 in the hole...behind the underlapping left half"!!!!

F.ook me..it gets complicated

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Are you for real , first of all he tries to shut the defender down which he did , then he carries on and tries to shut the keeper down 

So according to you he should have stayed in his own half and let the defender bring the ball forward unopposed ?

Ffs 

It is mind blowing 

2 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

"Free roamer"????

Give over fresh...I mean i can cope with the number 10 in the hole behind the holding whateverthef.ook!!...but you've invented yer own fookwhittery there

Darren Moore

Errr..i'm playing a "free roamer", slightly behind a roving number 10 in the hole...behind the underlapping left half"!!!!

F.ook me..it gets complicated

I bet you thought "free roamer" was a political campaign.

3 minutes ago, Mike Hunt said:

Ffs 

I didn't say he should or shouldn't do anything. 

You said you had never seen Barry Bannan close the goalkeeper down from the halfway line before. I shared a video which showed him doing just that. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Again.

For the last time from me(hurrah) .. it's not about his individual skillset.

It's about how he fits/contributes to our team.

That’s down to the Manager / coach 

Wing took some dead balls yesterday 

• Like 1

Just now, StudentOwl said:

I didn't say he should or shouldn't do anything. 

You said you had never seen Barry Bannan close the goalkeeper down from the halfway line before. I shared a video which showed him doing just that. 

He's a free roamer.

The rest of the midfield are supposed to cover.

22 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

You are so painfully blinkered when it comes to Barry Bannan.

Let's look at this at a macro scale. When Barry Bannan was unquestionably our main player and captain, the club got relegated. We will not get promoted with him playing for this club. 

His current stats for Sheffield Wednesday are:

Played 267

Assisted 40 (one every 6.5 ish games... he takes every set piece)

Scored 14 (one every 19 games)

He barely contributes defensively.

You are getting in arguments with fellow Wednesday fans when they point out that this mid-table League One midfielder, with one goal and one assist in 8 games, has flaws that are of detriment to the side. They're not saying he isn't good enough, they're just saying that he has habits that are not great that have been witnessed over 250+ games... and you're having a go at them for it.

Take a step back.

Here's Bannan's assist stats, with set pieces. Make of it what you will.

He has 35 non set piece assists in 253 games. (14 set piece assists in that time)

image.png.6f0a0675637de7f270c285adc183ea58.png

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Tewkesbury said:

Here's Bannan's assist stats, with set pieces. Make of it what you will.

He has 35 non set piece assists in 253 games. (14 set piece assists in that time)

image.png.6f0a0675637de7f270c285adc183ea58.png

Thanks but it doesn't show the amount of SPs taken.

I guested for a cricket team years ago and knocked a ton (112 not out) ...it doesn't mean I'm the best batsman at that club.

Again again he's a good player but not in this team imo.

8 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Thanks but it doesn't show the amount of SPs taken.

I guested for a cricket team years ago and knocked a ton (112 not out) ...it doesn't mean I'm the best batsman at that club.

Again again he's a good player but not in this team imo.

742 corners, 0.01%

739 free kicks, 0.01%

image.png.4cf4d2a200427875931843724d32dbe4.png

• Thanks 1

We moan that players need to take responsibility and then that Bannan takes too much responsibility.

We need all the others to match Bannans work rate and desire. Wing could move about a bit, Palmer break into a sprint now and again when he gets caught out up the pitch. Stuff like that. Hunt and Brown would improve this straight away.