If 4-3-3 is going to work

433 just looks messy and disjointed.

We have plenty of the ball in the middle of the park, at the back and can play it around in front of the opposites, but rarely do we look remotely dangerous and get in behind. 

Time after time the full backs run into the wingers, who don't seem to know where to go, drop back in to cover the full back, who them stops, turns back and plays the ball backwards to the winger on the  half way, the ball then invariably played inside and eventually to a CB, leaving Gregory isolated on his own. 

We need to get players in and around the box (not ours!)

I'm still a little confused that throughout his managerial career Moore played 4231 and looked good. However despite having players to fit, persist with a clumsy version of 433, which often looks like 451.

2 minutes ago, striker said:

433 just looks messy and disjointed.

We have plenty of the ball in the middle of the park, at the back and can play it around in front of the opposites, but rarely do we look remotely dangerous and get in behind. 

Time after time the full backs run into the wingers, who don't seem to know where to go, drop back in to cover the full back, who them stops, turns back and plays the ball backwards to the winger on the  half way, the ball then invariably played inside and eventually to a CB, leaving Gregory isolated on his own. 

We need to get players in and around the box (not ours!)

I'm still a little confused that throughout his managerial career Moore played 4231 and looked good. However despite having players to fit, persist with a clumsy version of 433, which often looks like 451.

BPF

Hunt Iorfa Hutch Brown 

Dennis Wing 

Berahino Bannan Shodipo 

Gregory 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

If our wingers are just going to play wide and like traditional wingers then we are going to struggle scoring all season, as it usually just ends up with the main striker isolated

The two wide forwards need to play high and be able to cut in and link up with the striker. We really want a left footer on the right and vice versa. Shodipo on the left works, but I can't see Saido on the right working. He doesn't look comfortable there and isn't a traditional "beat your man and get a cross in" winger.

That's the only way we'll find some regular goals in this team. That and having a midfield man regularly breaking forward from midfield. It should be Wing based on how he did in that role for Rotherham, he's been playing deep so far and no suprise has been ineffective. Need to make the formation a 4-2-3-1.

Exactly what I said a couple of games ago,spot on..

12 hours ago, room0035 said:

Simple answer NO, not with a midfield three including Bannan and Wing. The attacking 3 should be two wingers with a central striker. Instead we play strikers in the wing and leave the wingers on the bench.

I am starting to get annoy with yet another manager putting square pegs in round holes.

We have one of the strongest squads in the league, but don't seem to have a ******** clue how to play them. We keep picking the same under performing players then giving other no chances.

Spot on deja vue,Monk all over again...

52 minutes ago, WendyOK said:

BPF

Hunt Iorfa Hutch Brown 

Dennis Wing 

Berahino Bannan Shodipo 

Gregory 

Are you saying this is what we want? Because it's pretty much what we've had (with different personnel in places) for at least the last two matches.

v Shrewsbury we learned that Hutch struggled in front of the back 4

v Ipswich Bannan had his worst match ever, maybe because he doesn't suit that role

I think DM is trying to produce what you're after but it's still not working (so few attempts on goal all season). I'm not sure why or what the answer is and neither does DM.

2 hours ago, striker said:

Is that true? I didn't know much about Moore's style before he came here. Assumed it must have been 4-3-3 but that's curious if it wasn't.

Would make you wonder why aren't we playing an advanced midfielder then? We have options, could be Bannan, Wing, or even Saido behind the striker (would like to see that honestly).

He needs to make that change if he doesn't want his job in jeopardy, because this 4-5-1 system is never going to work.

Edited by swfc-dan

1 hour ago, swfc-dan said:

Is that true? I didn't know much about Moore's style before he came here. Assumed it must have been 4-3-3 but that's curious if it wasn't.

Would make you wonder why aren't we playing an advanced midfielder then? We have options, could be Bannan, Wing, or even Saido behind the striker (would like to see that honestly).

He needs to make that change if he doesn't want his job in jeopardy, because this 4-5-1 system is never going to work.

I'm sure he played 4231 at West Brom and Doncaster, hence assumed that's how we'd be lining up. 

I'm all for change but not if it doesn't work. Our attacking play has been woeful for the most part. At the moment our two supposed wide attacking players are ineffective, caught in no mans land between attack and defence, leaving the full backs exposed and the striker isolated.

This is where 4231 makes sense for the players he's recruited, the two sitting midfielders can fill in and cover the space behind the full backs and the attacking players can stay high up the pitch.