If 4-3-3 is going to work

If our wingers are just going to play wide and like traditional wingers then we are going to struggle scoring all season, as it usually just ends up with the main striker isolated

The two wide forwards need to play high and be able to cut in and link up with the striker. We really want a left footer on the right and vice versa. Shodipo on the left works, but I can't see Saido on the right working. He doesn't look comfortable there and isn't a traditional "beat your man and get a cross in" winger.

That's the only way we'll find some regular goals in this team. That and having a midfield man regularly breaking forward from midfield. It should be Wing based on how he did in that role for Rotherham, he's been playing deep so far and no suprise has been ineffective. Need to make the formation a 4-2-3-1.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

If our wingers are just going to play wide and like traditional wingers then we are going to struggle scoring all season, as it usually just ends up with the main striker isolated

The two wide forwards need to play high and be able to cut in and link up with the striker. We really want a left footer on the right and vice versa. Shodipo on the left works, but I can't see Saido on the right working. He doesn't look comfortable there and isn't a traditional "beat your man and get a cross in" winger.

That's the only way we'll find some regular goals in this team. That and having a midfield man regularly breaking forward from midfield. It should be Wing based on how he did in that role for Rotherham, he's been playing deep so far and no suprise has been ineffective. Need to make the formation a 4-2-3-1.

Corbeanu could definitely work in that role of inside forward on the right. He's either left footed or just as good with each. I think I remember reading an interview with him where he said he prefers dribbling with one foot and shooting with the other but is essentially two-footed

I agree with the original post that we need our 433 to be like a 4231. It can become a 451 without the ball.

The wide attackers must attack the spaces between their centre halves and fullbacks, and they need to be able to go either way – inside to link with the centre forward or round the outside, supported by our fullbacks.

There's still a question mark about whether Bazza should be the number 10 or one of the two deeper midfielders.

This formation is what we played at Ipswich, we looked a bit disjointed but I think it will come together.

• Like 1

The classic way to play 4-3-3 is for the wide man who is at the opposite side to the one where the attack is being developed, to come in off the line and support the centre forward.  That way there are at least two forwards in the box with the opportunity for midfield players also to attack the box.  It just won't work if both wide forwards stay wide as play develops.

2 hours ago, flo said:

I think we should play a combo of the diamond and the christmas tree but lets throw in a false 9 and a false 10, just to confuse our opposition, maybe even a false 5 as a plan b

Ever thought about playing the parallelogram system?

45 minutes ago, Kevan said:

The classic way to play 4-3-3 is for the wide man who is at the opposite side to the one where the attack is being developed, to come in off the line and support the centre forward.  That way there are at least two forwards in the box with the opportunity for midfield players also to attack the box.  It just won't work if both wide forwards stay wide as play develops.

Berahino seems to get in the box a lot, and during pre season Shodipo seemed to be on the end of everything from radio/highlights.

Hopefully they'll get some joy soon.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Manwë said:

Ever thought about playing the parallelogram system?

That’s a very old fashioned way to think about formations. I much prefer the Heisenberg formation. You then underpin your strategy with a quantum matrix and HMS PTL can set sail (or stay in the harbour. Or set sail and stay in the harbour at the same time). 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Simple answer NO, not with a midfield three including Bannan and Wing. The attacking 3 should be two wingers with a central striker. Instead we play strikers in the wing and leave the wingers on the bench.

I am starting to get annoy with yet another manager putting square pegs in round holes.

We have one of the strongest squads in the league, but don't seem to have a ******** clue how to play them. We keep picking the same under performing players then giving other no chances.

3 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

Corbeanu has been terrible.

I felt like I was the only person that thought this!!! Runs down blind alleys, tries to do way to much, feet working faster than his brain.

He needs way more work before you could justify giving him game time IMO. He may be better if we actually had a tactical plan though in fairness…….

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I felt like I was the only person that thought this!!! Runs down blind alleys, tries to do way to much, feet working faster than his brain.

He needs way more work before you could justify giving him game time IMO. He may be better if we actually had a tactical plan though in fairness…….

He is very direct and wants to beat his man. But no good if you lose the ball or give it away virtually everytime is it.

17 minutes ago, 4evaowl said:

4-3-3 (or 4-5-1 as DM plays it) hasn’t worked since he’s been here. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he knows how to change it to make it work. I hope he can prove me wrong as we are all desperate for him to succeed here.

Our full backs aren't attacking enough, we don't have a cm who can protect the centre backs and our inside forwards aren't great. But apart from that 433 suits us just fine.

lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, pazowl55 said:

He is very direct and wants to beat his man. But no good if you lose the ball or give it away virtually everytime is it.

He's played a total of 85 minutes and been disposessed 3 times. Can we give him a bit more of a chance before writing him off please?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, robswfc said:

He's played a total of 85 minutes and been disposessed 3 times. Can we give him a bit more of a chance before writing him off please?

Dispossessed 3 times. As in tackled by an opponent maybe. but he has wasted the ball when he has had it at least 20 times in that 85 mins. that's some going. When he came on against Shrewsbury he gave it away every single time. 

Yes he deserves more of a chance. But what I said was right. So far he has been terrible.