Knowing Me, Knowing Yew Tree - Steve Coogan to play Jimmy Savile in BBC One drama

mirodo

20 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Coogan will have the voice spot on, unlike everybody at school in the 80s who thought they did a brilliant impersonation, but I just can't see him as Savile. Then again I couldn't see him as Stan Laurel either but he was great in that. 

He did him for Spitting Image, but it’s obviously an exaggerated version. 

On 31/12/2021 at 07:28, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

This really feels like a bad idea, doesn't it?

I know on set they've had victims of JS visting quite a lot through the production. 

It's a horrible subject but it's important to know the reality. I don't believe in censoring or avoiding these subjects in the hope they go away. 

We will see how the drama is received once out but I wouldn't rule it out on subject matter alone. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

I know on set they've had victims of JS visting quite a lot through the production. 

It's a horrible subject but it's important to know the reality. I don't believe in censoring or avoiding these subjects in the hope they go away. 

We will see how the drama is received once out but I wouldn't rule it out on subject matter alone. 

That's good to know, and I agree with what you say re: not censoring the subject.

It's just that Saville was such a bizarre personality with such out-there mannerisms that any attempt to portray him might come across as a parody.

We'll have to wait and see, but it has the potential to be car-crash television.

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's good to know, and I agree with what you say re: not censoring the subject.

It's just that Saville was such a bizarre personality with such out-there mannerisms that any attempt to portray him might come across as a parody.

We'll have to wait and see, but it has the potential to be car-crash television.

With Coogan involved it's not going to be a parody, no chance. 

15 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

My worry is that anyone playing Saville is in danger of coming across as a parody...he was a parody of himself.

I'm confident that won't happen with him involved. 

However the wider issue is that this is a BBC programme. It's such a weird thing for the BBC to choose make to be honest.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2021 at 16:39, alanharper said:

Coogan will have the voice spot on, unlike everybody at school in the 80s who thought they did a brilliant impersonation, but I just can't see him as Savile. Then again I couldn't see him as Stan Laurel either but he was great in that. 

I could never do the tarzan  cry  after he said  how's about that then