Footballs black pioneers

Just come across an ad for this book online.

It gives a mini-biography for the first black player at each of the current 92 league clubs. 

Here's the list 

https://footballs-black-pioneers.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/FOOTBALLS-BLACK-PIONEERS-ANNEX-1.pdf

The Blades had their first black player in 1895. The Owls were quite a lot later with....?

Guesses below, without following the link of course!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, alfonso123 said:

Charlie Williams who played for Donny, and Charlie Williams the comedian, were one and the same bloke. I'd completely forgotten about that.

Used to watch Charlie at Donny when I was a kid. Harry Gregg in goal and Alick Jeffrey up front. Years later I was talking to Charlie about those days and he came out with a couple of good ones.

1. I were never a good player but I could stop them that were.

2.When maximum wage were lifted we were on 100 quid a week at Donny but Alick Jeffrey got 90 of it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Pughies Jockstrap said:

Used to watch Charlie at Donny when I was a kid. Harry Gregg in goal and Alick Jeffrey up front. Years later I was talking to Charlie about those days and he came out with a couple of good ones.

1. I were never a good player but I could stop them that were.

2.When maximum wage were lifted we were on 100 quid a week at Donny but Alick Jeffrey got 90 of it.

Arthur Wharton played for Doncaster Rivers and into recently was buried in an unmarked grave in Edlington a memorial as now been erected ,I think Mark Lawrenson  got hold of the story and I believe a Match of the Day film was made

How times changed. Dont recall that name but sad anyway. Names that do spring to mind are Colin Grainger, Len Graham, Francis Callan, Reece Nicholson and Johnny Mooney. Virtually all the players in those days travelled to the ground on the local buses. Started going when I was about 6/7 from Bolton on Dearne  and these players instilled in me the love Ive had for the game for longer than I care to remember. We moved to Worksop and my Uncle Harry brought me to Hillsborough for the first time cos he worked on the railway and got free travel. First game v Ipswich in the days of Alf Ramsey Ally Mcleod Ray Crawford. Think wed lost 4-0 but that was it I was hooked. Uncle bloody Harry its all his fault.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, akbuk said:

Arthur Wharton played for Doncaster Rivers and into recently was buried in an unmarked grave in Edlington a memorial as now been erected ,I think Mark Lawrenson  got hold of the story and I believe a Match of the Day film was made

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/opinion/columnists/18824376.one-mans-mission-led-todays-unveiling-darlington-mural-worlds-first-black-professional-footballer/

3 hours ago, akbuk said:

Arthur Wharton died in New Edlington on 13th of December 1930, he was buried in an unmarked grave 

Aye,

I used to work with the bloke in the article (Shaun) -top top bloke he was also instrumental in the ‘grave’ memorial ‘rectification 

https://arthurwhartonfoundation.org/2020/12/12/arthur-kwame-wharton-90-year-commemorations/amp/

I remember Albert Johanneson playing for Leeds, think he was one of first high profile black players.  I remember Viv Anderson playing for Forest at Hillsborough in the seventies when it was really unusual to see a black player. As for Wednesday's first, could well be Cunningham.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ursa Minor said:

I remember Albert Johanneson playing for Leeds, think he was one of first high profile black players.  I remember Viv Anderson playing for Forest at Hillsborough in the seventies when it was really unusual to see a black player. As for Wednesday's first, could well be Cunningham.

Albert Johannson was the first black player I ever saw, at leeds in a cup replay, he was dynamite for about half an hour but quickly faded after that, scored after about 8 minutes.

Saw a programme a few years back all about his life and battle with drink, it was a really good watch, milti talented player but he didnt handle all the adulation very well  and fell into a bottle battle, there wasnt much support around for that kind of thing back then, real shame sounded a lovely guy.

4 hours ago, Ursa Minor said:

Remember the game Viv Anderson played at Hillsborough for Forest think he was only about 17 at the time. Some of the stuff that was shouted at him by grown men around us on the kop would have had people locked up these days. Different times.

• Like 1