Seasons Stats so Far

Just some key stats of our season so far - I’ll try to update this every 10 games or so for those interested (I’ve grabbed them off a few sites).

Worth noting we’ve played 1 game less than some teams. 

- XG (Expected Goals per Game) = 0.87 = 21st in the League

- Average Total Goals per match = 1.37 = Least in the League 

- Shots Total = 78 = 23rd

- Shots on Target = 24 = Joint 23rd

- Crosses per game = 21 = 6th

- XGA (Ex Goals Against) = 1.01 = 6th in the League

- Clean Sheets = 4 = Joint 1st

- Average Possession = 55% - 6th

- Attacking Sides % = Left 32, Centre 24, Right 44

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 6

28 minutes ago, flash said:

Just some key stats of our season so far - I’ll try to update this every 10 games or so for those interested (I’ve grabbed them off a few sites).

Worth noting we’ve played 1 game less than some teams. 

- XG (Expected Goals per Game) = 0.87 = 21st in the League

- Average Total Goals per match = 1.37 = Least in the League 

- Shots Total = 78 = 23rd

- Shots on Target = 24 = Joint 23rd

- Crosses per game = 21 = 6th

- XGA (Ex Goals Against) = 1.01 = 6th in the League

- Clean Sheets = 4 = Joint 1st

- Average Possession = 55% - 6th

- Attacking Sides % = Left 32, Centre 24, Right 44

Those stats in the main do support what we are seeing. We do have enough of the ball but don't get players into threatening positions often enough to make the most of it. 

There's no point having the 6th best possession stats in the division if we don't turn possession of the ball into shots on goal.   

It worried me after the Morecambe game when Moore said we don't have to try and force the issue and should just keep playing our game. Our game under these tactics is not getting enough players into goal scoring areas. 

Crazy that a team with Bannan and Wing at its disposal creates so little. I’m truly baffled by how little we create. Yesterday we scored from a nothing ball into the box being not dealt with rather than good build up. Maybe we need some more nothing balls and fight for scraps. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, flash said:

Linked to this Morecombe’s top scorer has scored more than our whole team. 

47 year old (ok maybe he’s only 39???) Wes Hoolahan, has as many assists for the mighty Cambridge as all of our players combined. 

• Like 1

I saw something the other day that suggested our squad value is highest in the league.  I am also aware that for the past 40 seasons generally speaking you finish roughly where your wage bill ranks. There have been exceptions, Leicester is an obvious example, but generally speaking it tends to be very much the way of the world. Those who out perform their wage bill are generally over achieving and those falling well short are underperforming. A lot of credit goes to Moore for  the squad he’s put together, but we aren’t the only team that has had a large turnover, so the expected goals and average goals scored are not just worrying but putting a question mark againstMoore and his style of play. One thing he has preached is a better balanced squad, but at this moment in time it looks like he’s still not solved the out and out big strong no 9 issue (which makes playing 4-4-2 trickier) and he seems to have brought in a left back, but isn’t playing him as a left back (Brown), plus he’s not yet resolved the imbalance in midfield, 

Attack needs a lot of work. Windass coming back will make a huge difference, but in the meantime Darren has to figure out how this side can score goals.

(It is worth pointing out that we have played only 3 games at home so far this season, and if we'd played more I think we would have had a better start)

When sides in this league play most other sides, they attack them to try and win the game. When most sides play us, they pack the defense and sit back. Result, we get more possession and score fewer goals. We know we have to overcome this this with sharper, more incisive play. It will come..

• Like 2

We're poor, way beyond the "we need to gel" stage. The stats were telling us this after the first 4 games, we had rode our luck, now its balancing out.

Tactically its all wrong, pedestrian, predictable totally ineffective in both a defensive and offensive sense. 

There are times when the closest pass a player has is 30 yards away, we need to be more compact and certainly 4-4-2 would assist with this. 

I know one thing, we do not improve with this formation. Something has to change. 

We've already reached the point where all the good work that was done in and around the atmosphere at the club has been undermined by nothing more than DM's tactical ineptitude. I'm not saying we need to sack him, he brings clear and obvious benefits, we just need his right hand man to be the tactician......and him to be pragmatic in his approach. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1