Is 5G reducing bandwidth for 4G coverage?

Neal M

Ok. This may be a moronic question. If so, apologies in advance. 

Is the roll out of 5G causing poorer mobile connectivity for 4G phones?

For context - My phone mainly uses AT&T and T-Mobile masts. Prior to the 5G roll out, connectivity was pretty good. Now, my 4G coverage is getting very patchy. Is 5G taking bandwidth from 4G? Or are they completely different parts of the spectrum?

I guess it’s possible that the companies are prioritizing work on 5G masts and putting 4G repairs on the back burner. But the poor coverage has been around for about 9 months now.

The owls are not what they seem.

Completely different parts of the spectrum and they require different masts. 

they MIGHT be removing 4g masts and replacing them with 5g masts (so they don’t have to have new masts/sites) or throttling your 4g - which I wouldn’t put past US networks. 

• Like 1

Interesting…

(LTE being US 4g) 

Spectrum Sharing

5G and LTE networks share LTE’s frequencies because 5G is not wholly and immediately replacing LTE. A network operator can use frequency division duplex (FDD) and time division duplex (TDD) technologies to share spectrum. FDD is where different bands of frequency are used by users; one for uplink and the other for downlink. TDD is where one frequency band will be used for uplink and downlink, switching between the two from moment to moment. According to an approved United States patent assigned to AT&T, bands can be dynamically allocated between LTE and 5G in tens of milliseconds.

• Like 1