Jonson Clarke-Harris: banned and fined

Kopparberg

I kinda agree with Westfield Owl to an extent.

Hopefully he isn't the same person now as he was when he was 18, as others have said, we change as we grow up. It's a shame that they've had to go back 9 years to do this, but at the end of the day he was still in the wrong so should take it on the chin

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

What's to stop someone from trawling through the social media of rival club's players to try and bring up this sort of ***?

I'm not condoning racist, homophobic or other bigoted behaviour, but I can't see how these punishments are legal?

Presumably if it's still on his social media page, no matter how long ago it was, then they can punish for it?

8 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

What's to stop someone from trawling through the social media of rival club's players to try and bring up this sort of ***?

I'm not condoning racist, homophobic or other bigoted behaviour, but I can't see how these punishments are legal?

Things are certainly heading in that direction, more of it to come, more revenue for the FA to collect.  

11 minutes ago, Westfield Owl said:

You don't need to be a modern day saint to know that bigoted slurs are a no-no, whether it's in real life or on the internet.

I'm baffled at how many are decrying this bloke getting his comeuppance.

Of course they aren't ok - nobody is debating that I don't think.

I think what most are questioning is why is it being brought up almost a decade later, when they were 18, as I'd hazard a guess that 95% of people have done stuff so stupid in the past when they didn't know better/were arrogant.

Of course that doesn't count for you because you have never done anything morally questionable, so judge away.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Of course they aren't ok - nobody is debating that I don't think.

I think what most are questioning is why is it being brought up almost a decade later, when they were 18, as I'd hazard a guess that 95% of people have done stuff so stupid in the past when they didn't know better/were arrogant.

Of course that doesn't count for you because you have never done anything morally questionable, so judge away.

I agree to an extent.

Just to play devil's advocate though, what would be the cut off for how long someone has to be, or how long ago the post, for us to say it doesn't matter now as they were a different person back then. 

• Like 1

Just now, markg said:

I agree to an extent.

Just to play devil's advocate though, what would be the cut off for how long someone has to be, or how long ago the post, for us to say it doesn't matter now as they were a different person back then. 

That's a great question, and one I don't think I can really give a firm answer to.

I guess it'd depend on a number of things - remorse, actions since then etc. Would guess it'd be a judgement call every time.

9 years to me seems ridiculous. Do they have hearings for these types of cases where the person can put forward their side?

• Like 1

I think that there is a huge difference between a one off abusive comment as a young man and a series of comments.

Anyone making isolated comments should be dealt with carefully and proportionately. A carefully worded apology and a bit of appropriate voluntary work should be enough.

If the comments form part of a pattern of concerning behaviour, then, by all means throw the book at them.

47 minutes ago, Screen Door Slams said:

Is it journalists that are trawling through these old accounts/tweets , or just sad , desperate f***ers desperate to get their daily "offended" fix ?

Said it before - academy players get some training and advice about SM - i sat in on one delivered by a guy who manages twitter accounts for some world famous clients in sport and film/music

He said that around 30% of a young players followers (unknown academy players) will be journalists who will screenshot and save "questionable" posts and drag them up for stories if/when the player attains some level of fame

23 hours ago, scram said:

Said it before - academy players get some training and advice about SM - i sat in on one delivered by a guy who manages twitter accounts for some world famous clients in sport and film/music

He said that around 30% of a young players followers (unknown academy players) will be journalists who will screenshot and save "questionable" posts and drag them up for stories if/when the player attains some level of fame

Kin ell , that`s bleak.

Just seen that the Boro defender Bola has also been charged for a "homophobic" social media post that he made when he was 14.

A brave stand against homophobia must be maintained, so the FA can get back to prepping for the World Cup in Qatar, where being gay is illegal. 

• Like 6

On 23/09/2021 at 20:50, Kopparberg said:

Peterborough United striker Jonson Clarke-Harris has been given a four-match ban and fined £5,300 by the FA over historical social media posts.

The 27-year-old was 18 at the time of the comments, which he made between 27 October 2012 and 6 March 2013. 

As well as the ban and fine, Clarke-Harris is required to complete a face-to-face education programme. 

"The comments were insulting, abusive, improper and brought the game into disrepute," said an FA statement.

Clarke-Harris admitted six breaches of FA rule E3. His comments constituted an 'aggravated breach' of FA Rule E3.2, as they included reference to sexual orientation. 

Clarke-Harris was a Peterborough player at the time of the posts, although he did not play a senior game in his first spell at the club.

He returned to Posh at the start of last season and has subsequently scored 35 goals in 57 matches.

Pathetic from the FA, utterly pathetic. 

On 23/09/2021 at 21:20, matthefish2002 said:

Think we should have some sort of statute of limitations of these type of things otherwise it opening up a can of worms.

Along the lines of anything made more 5 years ago when a teenager with no evidence since then an apology should be enough and maybe  a small donation to charity.

Or maybe the FA just stick to matters on the field, which is what they are there for, and butt out of anything else.