Jonson Clarke-Harris: banned and fined

Kopparberg

Peterborough United striker Jonson Clarke-Harris has been given a four-match ban and fined £5,300 by the FA over historical social media posts.

The 27-year-old was 18 at the time of the comments, which he made between 27 October 2012 and 6 March 2013. 

As well as the ban and fine, Clarke-Harris is required to complete a face-to-face education programme. 

"The comments were insulting, abusive, improper and brought the game into disrepute," said an FA statement.

Clarke-Harris admitted six breaches of FA rule E3. His comments constituted an 'aggravated breach' of FA Rule E3.2, as they included reference to sexual orientation. 

Clarke-Harris was a Peterborough player at the time of the posts, although he did not play a senior game in his first spell at the club.

He returned to Posh at the start of last season and has subsequently scored 35 goals in 57 matches.

• Haha 1

Education course, okay, but a fine and four match ban for something long before he signed his contract is outrageous.

It seems a more severe penalty than someone being actually homophobic (or racist) on the pitch in the present.

Basically, if you want to be a professional footballer, don’t ever use social media. In fact, parents, if your child might become a professional sportsperson, ban them from social media.

• Like 1

The question has also occurred to me is, where is the PFA in all of this? They’re meant to be a trade union, surely they should challenge the unfairness and stupidity of this.

Or are the only interested in making sure premier league players never have to take a pay cut during a pandemic when the taps are turned off?

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Education course, okay, but a fine and four match ban for something long before he signed his contract is outrageous.

It seems a more severe penalty than someone being actually homophobic (or racist) on the pitch in the present.

Basically, if you want to be a professional footballer, don’t ever use social media. In fact, parents, if your child might become a professional sportsperson, ban them from social media.

Rather than being banned from social media, just don’t be a massive racist perhaps? Seems a lot easier. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dore Owl said:

Rather than being banned from social media, just don’t be a massive racist perhaps? Seems a lot easier. 

I think he called a friend a homophobic name 9 years ago when a teenager.

I am sure we have all said and done things when a teenager which don't reflect us a person when an adult.

You will now how loads of people probably mostly journalists spending hours trawling through any footballers social media posts from years ago trying to find something to embarrass a player and for a cheap story. Just comes across as a witch hunt to me.

• Love 1

2 minutes ago, CalmJimmers said:

Have you ever done anything when you were 18 that you cringe about now? Illegal or morally questionable?

Nah, it's really not that hard to behave like a decent human being.

At 18 years old, you're an adult.  With that comes responsibility and consequences.

The real question for me, in this particular situation, is - why the hell has it taken 9 years for this issue to be dealt with?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Westfield Owl said:

Nah, it's really not that hard to behave like a decent human being.

At 18 years old, you're an adult.  With that comes responsibility and consequences.

The real question for me, in this particular situation, is - why the hell has it taken 9 years for this issue to be dealt with?

Fair play, you must be a modern day Saint then.

Not sure if I believe you like but if you say so.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PeteG_1984 said:

The question has also occurred to me is, where is the PFA in all of this? They’re meant to be a trade union, surely they should challenge the unfairness and stupidity of this.

Or are the only interested in making sure premier league players never have to take a pay cut during a pandemic when the taps are turned off?

Firstly - is he a member of the PFA?

Lots of players aren't

Secondly it creates a bit of a bind for the pfa - on the one hand they have a member to defend - on the other hand they are against the "isms" which use slurs against the protected characteristics

So, defending somebody against actions they also disapprove of

Just now, CalmJimmers said:

Fair play, you must be a modern day Saint then.

Not sure if I believe you like but if you say so.

You don't need to be a modern day saint to know that bigoted slurs are a no-no, whether it's in real life or on the internet.

I'm baffled at how many are decrying this bloke getting his comeuppance.