The Kop 1991

1 minute ago, PARKOWL said:

for me It was the best place to watch wednesday

I always wanted us to be unique in the fact that I wanted the rest of the ground to be one continuous cantilever stand from the north round the west and to the south with all your exec boxes and such like, but to leave the Kop totally separate

one big intimidating wall of noise rolling down on to the pitch like against Chelsea in the semi or Kaiserslautern but that was in the days before it was all seated and probably long gone in these sanitised non swearing inoffensive tourist encouraging modern stadiums that have to be used every day of the week rather than just for football

I always wanted the SOuth to be the individual stand - with the Kop, North and West all lined up with a continuous cantilever roof

16 hours ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Who did we play that day? 

Definitely the last game with the uncovered Kop was Ipswich in May 1986.

A clue as to why that picture is not from the Ipswich game is that there were huge sink holes already dug in the Kop where the steel pillars to support the roof would be. These were cordoned  off with flimsy wooden picket type fencing. I think it was there already in the previous home evening fixture. Didn’t look too safe!

Also the game was notable for the recently great Ipswich side to be sadly relegated that afternoon. I can recall Terry Butcher leaving the field in tears as it was his last game in a great career there. He moved on that Summer. 

Sadly Wednesday had plateaued for the time being, the new roof was incredibly exciting, but the team was on the decline, waiting for Mr Atkinson....

• Like 2

Also it seems incredible now that there were only 7 years from the Kop being our beloved uncovered iconic terrace, to be becoming the plastic seated sanitised post Cup Final surrender to all seater requirements.

We only got to enjoy the biggest, maddest and best terrace in Europe for 7 short years. 

Can’t say they weren’t dramatic. I still honestly feel that the seated  Kop is synonymous with our decline, right from the moment Worthington was bamboozled at the near post and Ian Wright tapped in the winner for Arsenal in that 1st home game.

Something had died and the teams fortunes have reflected this ever since. My brother stopped coming to home games, Hirst put weight on and was now crocked, Warhurst wanted away, Pearson was finished, Andy Pearce arrived and the rest we know.

Although I’m sure we’ll be the last club to be allowed it back, but the  Hillsborough Kop with safe standing/ rail seating would be like Dortmund...seriously awesome and I bet you anything our fortunes would reverse. Any one else feel the same?

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grandad said:

This was Eric Taylors vision for Hillsborough - on show in 1963 

image.png.e80b356da7ccd3ed79028d925c9c4a08.png

remember it sitting in the town hall for  a while the man was light years ahead of his time 

What could have been if wed had that in the 60s 

16 minutes ago, PARKOWL said:

remember it sitting in the town hall for  a while the man was light years ahead of his time 

What could have been if wed had that in the 60s 

I agree however when Ron Atkinson took over the focus changed from stadium to team and so did the financing. I'm afraid that poor signings and management both on and off the field have resulted in where we are now with regards to the stadium and it's lack of investment since 1995

Football definitely changed once you couldn’t just rock up at the ground and find a place you fancied standing on that particular day. Now safe standing is on its way which is a good thing but it still isn’t the same on just arriving at the stadium and either fighting your way to the middle or standing on the edge if you were feeling a bit delicate.  As for being the part of a massive crowd surge, nothing in the modern footballing experience comes even close!

• Like 2
  • Love 1