The Kop 1991

A packed Hillsborough Kop is one of the finest sights and sounds in English football, but it's now strange to think that it was only covered back in 1986. Before then it was that uniquely shaped end terrace, known as the East Bank, with no roof and a massive slope from one side of it to the other, making it look almost triangular in appearance.

When Wednesday eventually decided to save their supporters from regular soakings and build a roof for it, they also had to make the thing level, subsequently creating a phenomenal stand that held 22500, which at the time made it the largest covered end terrace in Europe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 31Dec1966 said:

Biggest standing area in UK wasn't it?  Might have been Europe ? Anyway, that first game against Everton was a fantastic atmosphere.

I believe the largest standing area in this country was at the Valley ( side terrace), I also believe that the Holt end at Villa had a larger end terrace capacity. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mickjj said:

Digging through some old photos and came across this one that I took the week before the League Cup Final.

The Kop 19910002.jpg

Looks much much better than it does now , no Chansiri banner and no seats , the atmosphere , the getting together with your mates and the noise was and always will be better than it is now .

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Grandad said:

What a massively missed opportunity to fill in the corner that was. 

for me It was the best place to watch wednesday

I always wanted us to be unique in the fact that I wanted the rest of the ground to be one continuous cantilever stand from the north round the west and to the south with all your exec boxes and such like, but to leave the Kop totally separate

one big intimidating wall of noise rolling down on to the pitch like against Chelsea in the semi or Kaiserslautern but that was in the days before it was all seated and probably long gone in these sanitised non swearing inoffensive tourist encouraging modern stadiums that have to be used every day of the week rather than just for football