I couldn't, could you?

20 minutes ago, Daniele Giovanni said:

Turn your backs on Wednesday and get on with your life? I'm 62 followed the Owls since August 68 Owls v man utd 5-4 win, lived in italy From 72 till 76 always got my cousin to call me with results, he used to send me Green un when Wednesday won, used to go weeks without receiving them!!! Back in Sheffield till 86 then back to Italy, travelled all the way from there to go to Wembley for Rumbelows Cup final, we've had loads of setbacks, but I couldn't just Abandon them, they are in my blood, and will be till I die, Premier league or National league I LOVE YOU WEDNESDAY

Only a bit. I left England in Feb 2020, totally disillusioned with the club, and life in general. But then as soon as football restarted I signed up for iFollow so I could still watch the games. Still read owlstalk first thing every morning over my coffee.

Do I miss it? Yes. Do I miss it enough to come back to England? No.

having said that if we make the play offs I will probably find an excuse to come back.

Dont think being a wednesdayite ever leaves you.

• Thanks 2

Sitting with my 19 year old grandson on Saturday. ‘I was given a ticket for the Leeds v Liverpool game last week cos my uni meet couldn’t go.’

I nodded and asked him what he thought. 
‘It was ok. But I didn’t  really care about it like I do for Wednesday!’

Sums up supporting Wednesday (and every other fan’s local team) I guess. 

• Like 4

For me to get emotionally involved in a game I need to care about one of the teams, that means Wednesday have to be involved.

If I watch a top of the Premeir League clash I really wouldn't be bothered who won, goals don't matter much. One of the teams score, so what? I can look at it and think that was a nice move or a nice shot but that's it.

When Wednesday score or concede it matters to me.

I'm generally quite disillusioned with football these days, I don't watch much. Maybe the England games in the Euros or world cup. That's about it.

• Like 4

I follow the Premier League (mostly for Fantasy Football) and I keep an eye on general results across the sport, but other than Wednesday and the World Cup/Euros I very, very rarely watch a match (or even match highlights). I've definitely fallen out of love with the game in recent years - but I just can't see a time when I stop watching our matches. Old habits and all that...

• Like 1

People get too caught up in the financial side of the game and let it effect them. How can you be falling out of love of football when the talent has never been better and we have the best league in the world? The England team hasn’t been as good in decades, the drama, the competition, it’s as good as it’s ever been IMO

Edited by FreshOwl

I fell out of closely following Wednesday for a few years when I was around 15-18.

I think the combination of being relegated from the Premiership, hanging around with a group of mates who weren't into football, and discovering girls and nightclubs made it more of a passing interest rather than something I wanted to be really involved in.

I think I probably went to 5 games or so a season back then, and it just didn't feel like the club I'd fallen in love with as a youngster.

When I went away to uni, I started to get back into following our fortunes more closely, discovered Owlstalk, and started going to games with my dad a bit more regularly. 

I can't imagine walking away from the club now, but for a few years in my late teens, they barely registered with me.

• Like 1

I had a sheltered and boring childhood in Fulwood, and watching Wednesday (first game a 6-1 thrashing of Chelsea with a John Ritchie hat-trick in December '66) provided some of the best moments. Then I went to Nottingham Uni and discovered grown-up stuff like beer and girls, and decided football was childish. Then one Saturday my brother came and we watched Wednesday at Notts County – a 3-3 draw when Ian Scanlon scored a 3-minute hat-trick for them, in 1974. I realised that Wednesday were totally under my skin and it was an addiction for life.

I moved to London, I watch a few home games every season and the games around London (going to Ipswich). I watch some non-Wednesday games, but that's a totally different experience, more like going to an art gallery as others have said.

• Like 1