Tony Toms

On 20/09/2021 at 15:40, S36 OWL said:

Completely gutted to hear this news. 

Met Tony on a few occasions when he was at Wednesday. He lived in Worrall, and was a regular in the Shoulder of Mutton, which was my local back in the day. He would always have a pint and chat with fans and had a fantastic sense of humour. Quite often you would wander in and find Jack Charlton propping up the bar with Tony. He used to tell dome reyt stories of his time in the Commando's.

Was once talking to him about the training methods at Wednesday  and how the players dealt with his sessions up on the moors, his reply was " my sessions are nothing complicated, I run them till they throw up, then i run them some more." 

Thoroughly nice bloke with a vice like grip of a handshake. 

RIP BIG MAN. 

I must know you chap as I'm a Worraller and The Shoulder was my local too - remember Tony very well as he lived in the little farm cottages just a minutes walk from the pub... Met the team and Jack in there quite a few times in the promotion season and also remember Tony and his mate playing tennis in the park and erm being quite vocal and colourful with their language which amused us... Haha! Rip Big Man!!

• Like 2

On 20/09/2021 at 18:15, Striggy said:

Seem to remember him coming into the Shoulder one night, there was 2" of snow on the ground yet he turned up in flip flops and shorts.  I have an image of him stood at the bar with a little dog cradled in one hand and a pint in the other.  RIP TT

Haha.. Yeah he usually had shorts on in all weather 😆 - I must know you too Striggy as well as S36 Owl... All Worrallers at the time!! 

10 hours ago, Prendo's boots said:

Haha.. Yeah he usually had shorts on in all weather 😆 - I must know you too Striggy as well as S36 Owl... All Worrallers at the time!! 

Had some good times in Worrall 1963 - 1980 ish.  Still go in Blue Ball when I can, although reside in Oxspring now.  

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"