Moore

Jim

Some wallop here.

moore was the second coming a few weeks ago with recruitment and retention rated 10 out of 10 !!

keeper made a howler and captain missed a pen , otherwise that’s 3 points. Won’t happen every week.

will be a bumpy season but I do think we will defend and clean sheet our way to play offs at least. 

• Like 1

Although Chansiri can be quite patient indeed may be over patient at times with underperforming Managers, e.g the hapless Monk but I thought this post from Blue and White was spot on:

I think the very minimum Chansiri is expecting is top 6 given the level of backing he has given Moore. I would surmise that if we are off the pace come Christmas Moore will be no Moore

Plan A will work if we move the ball quicker and have runners.

Having a centre half who can pass helps with the above.

Plenty of movement off the ball helps with the above.

The ability to pass the ball in front of a player helps with the above.

We need to cut that extra pass, touch, flicks down.

Pass it easy, then  move into space to become an option for the receiving player.

The players need to realise that it is more physical in this division.

We had more ability than Shrewsbury, they had more heart and won a lot of the second balls in the second half.

We should have really been out of sight after 25 minutes. It felt as though the players found it easy and took their foot of the gas, then could not re-apply it.

I'll accept yesterday's performance this early on, however if it is still happening by the time December then some questions will really need answering.

Yesterday's team selection would have been fine for an away fixture, strong and decent counterattacking options. However at home when we need to force the issue we need more creativity

Lastly most  people's idea of a plan B is, 

"Gerrit in Mixer"

• Like 2

Managers get so little time. 

Moore's said before that we're on a journey here. I think that speaks quite accurately to our set up at the minute.

He's under scrutiny a bit now though. Which I think is the nature of the footy beast.

I gets a bit daft. Look at our history of manager in / outs. Its crackers.

I like Moore. I'd like us to give the guy time to make and learn from mistakes. Mistakes are lead indicators of growth. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Managers get so little time. 

Moore's said before that we're on a journey here. I think that speaks quite accurately to our set up at the minute.

He's under scrutiny a bit now though. Which I think is the nature of the footy beast.

I gets a bit daft. Look at our history of manager in / outs. Its crackers.

I like Moore. I'd like us to give the guy time to make and learn from mistakes. Mistakes are lead indicators of growth. 

Most of our squad are either on a one year deal, on loan or are out of contract at the end of the season.

Football management at this level isn’t generally a long term job

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Playing it around the defence just allows teams to have more time to organize themselves behind the ball. We are making it easy for them to defend against us as evidenced by our lack of goals. No amount of pirouettes, step overs and showboating excuses our lack of pressure on their keeper who might as well have rolled his beach towel out in that second half.

We’ve got to be less predictable and mix up our game and get in opponent’s faces. It was shocking yesterday that we were on the ropes and looked knackered after 70 minutes. Other teams we have played don’t so what’s all that about? 

Serious questions about tactics and character - once they weathered the storm, they looked much more likely to score than we did - no disrespect but it was Shrewsbury, who have lost every away game this season and are regarded as one of the weaker teams in the league.

We looked like a confused bunch of strangers after our decent start yesterday, nobody settled things down, nobody seemed to know what their roles were and we lost shape time after time. The subs had zero impact and it became a bit of a shambles how quickly the wheels fell off.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Daz said:

Playing it around the defence just allows teams to have more time to organize themselves behind the ball. We are making it easy for them to defend against us as evidenced by our lack of goals. No amount of pirouettes, step overs and showboating excuses our lack of pressure on their keeper who might as well have rolled his beach towel out in that second half.

We’ve got to be less predictable and mix up our game and get in opponent’s faces. It was shocking yesterday that we were on the ropes and looked knackered after 70 minutes. Other teams we have played don’t so what’s all that about? 

Serious questions about tactics and character - once they weathered the storm, they looked much more likely to score than we did - no disrespect but it was Shrewsbury, who have lost every away game this season and are regarded as one of the weaker teams in the league.

We looked like a confused bunch of strangers after our decent start yesterday, nobody settled things down, nobody seemed to know what their roles were and we lost shape time after time. The subs had zero impact and it became a bit of a shambles how quickly the wheels fell off.

Ide like to say good post but got ticked off by some on here for giving the thumbs up about one similar, anyway good post.

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat
On 19/09/2021 at 09:12, Buck Rogers said:

On evidence so far, Moore seems to be a great recruiter and coach.

But would be better leaving the decisions on tactics, formation and style of play to someone else.

You mean a proper manager?

We are in a mess of the chairmans making and now DM is having to rebuild from top to bottom. Some people's expectations of instant results is staggering, its almost they have forgotten the size of the job ahead  A little perspective wouldn't go a miss.

Edited by Big Jack
  • Like 2

Moore will be here for the whole season IMO. I think we will make top six which will probably keep him in role for the next season. 
My assumption is that he will sort out who our strongest 14 players are and get the system he’s playing working a bit more like the first 30 mins of the game on Saturday with a bit more direct stuff in the mix for when things aren’t working out. 
If my assumption is wrong and we are bottom half at Christmas he’ll be a gonner. But I think he will sort it because he’s a bit inexperienced, not totally stupid. 

17 hours ago, SwellOwl said:

It’s going to take time with signing 14 new players. Will be bumpy but the good start may have been misleading to the big rebuild that’s ongoing.

Fans asking for change are being hysterical.

5 minutes ago, Asio otus said:

We are in a mess of the chairmans making and now DM is having to rebuild from top to bottom. Some people's expectations of instant results is staggering, its almost they have forgotten the size of the job ahead  A little perspective wouldn't go a miss.

It makes you wonder what kind of parents these people are 

I mean when their son Jonny comes home from junior school and says he scored 6 out of 10 on his spelling test do these people just boot him out into the street to fend for himself and then just breed another one?

People are mad aren't they

Owlstalk Shop

11 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It makes you wonder what kind of parents these people are 

I mean when their son Jonny comes home from junior school and says he scored 6 out of 10 on his spelling test do these people just boot him out into the street to fend for himself and then just breed another one?

People are mad aren't they

It was only the end of last season where there were genuine and legitimate concerns about the future viability of the club. Now people are doing there nut because we aren’t top of the league and destroying all comers week in week out. 
Of course Moore needs to work on things and get us playing better and picking up more points. But surely there must be a tiny bit of patience while we give him a chance? There are no guarantees Moore is the right man for this job, but I can guarantee firing him before we find out won’t help us one bit!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

47 minutes ago, CircleSeven said:

It was only the end of last season where there were genuine and legitimate concerns about the future viability of the club. Now people are doing there nut because we aren’t top of the league and destroying all comers week in week out. 
Of course Moore needs to work on things and get us playing better and picking up more points. But surely there must be a tiny bit of patience while we give him a chance? There are no guarantees Moore is the right man for this job, but I can guarantee firing him before we find out won’t help us one bit!

Apparently not, you are mad to suggest time and patience.

On 19/09/2021 at 11:06, @owlstalk said:

Even if it wasn't it should have been

The football under Megson towards the end was Jos Luhukay eye bleeding levels of horrifically dull

This. The football was turgid, and with the same group of players, Jones came in, played wingers instead of James O'Connor and took the shackles off and we finally showed our quality on the front foot. Same needs to happen now. No reason why Moore can't do this but he needs to not do what Monk and Jos did and be too pig headed to change it. The formation and the system doesn't suit our players. In time it might but now it doesn't. We need to assert ourselves quickly, and get running at teams to stop them having the time to get 11 behind the ball. We've got the players to do it now. In fact it's embarrassing how many players we've got capable of doing it now given we're not.

Note: Wilder started at United with a flat back 4. They were bottom of the league. Changed the system to 3 at the back and walked through two divisions. Ironically not changing his system through stubbornness and vanity in the prem cost him his job and sent them on a spiral.

Moore could quite easily be better than Wilder. The fact that he can spot and attract talent to play below the level they should be playing at can't be underestimated. This season we seemed to sign every player we went after. There have been numerous summers when we've been after loads of players who have gone to other clubs, and we've ended up with a Van Aken, a George Boyd, or a Joey Pelupessy.

On 19/09/2021 at 09:02, hasthagotanycheese said:

Just taken a look at Moore's win ratio with Wednesday. It currently stands at just 30.4%. The hapless Garry Monk achieved 31%.

Darren needs to find an effective line up and a way of winning football matches very quickly otherwise the knives will be out for him. With Ipswich and Wigan to come things could  turn nasty unless results improve.

It's the Wednesday way, we'll probably beat both... Then lose to whomever is in the bottom two the next game. 

The easier the game should be on paper the harder we seem to make it. lol

Guest Jack the Hat
20 hours ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

Plan A will work if we move the ball quicker and have runners.

Having a centre half who can pass helps with the above.

Plenty of movement off the ball helps with the above.

The ability to pass the ball in front of a player helps with the above.

We need to cut that extra pass, touch, flicks down.

Pass it easy, then  move into space to become an option for the receiving player.

The players need to realise that it is more physical in this division.

We had more ability than Shrewsbury, they had more heart and won a lot of the second balls in the second half.

We should have really been out of sight after 25 minutes. It felt as though the players found it easy and took their foot of the gas, then could not re-apply it.

I'll accept yesterday's performance this early on, however if it is still happening by the time December then some questions will really need answering.

Yesterday's team selection would have been fine for an away fixture, strong and decent counterattacking options. However at home when we need to force the issue we need more creativity

Lastly most  people's idea of a plan B is, 

"Gerrit in Mixer"

I disagree with this. I don't think Plan A will work, the build up is too slow and empowers the opposition defence to set up and skim the newspapers while they wait for us to get there (with or without the extra passes). By the time we finally get there the only way through is a super intricate ball through the defence which only Bannan seems capable and willing to attempt. So we are back to being over reliant on a player who the opposition often mark out of the game.

Plan B isn't gerrit in the mixer, its breaking with pace down the wing and crossing to the two forwards. Berinho's header was good on Saturday and Gregory can head - and we aren't short of wingers. When we were good in the 90's we usually went down the wings. If you watch us back then, just see how quick we get it into the box from the wings - none of this d1cking around with it.

We have the players to do this but the problem is Moore. I'd call him a one trick pony if the trick ever worked but it doesn't. And he doesn't seem to want / be capable of change.