Moore

Jim

We’re too easy to play against, our plan A doesn’t work and never will at this level.  In the last 3 games, Morecambe, Plymouth and Shrewsbury yesterday simply sat 30 yards off us and packed out the midfield leaving us to our sideways passes around the back 5.

Plan B is none existent so Chuck in a few errors, missed penalties and Bobs no longer yer uncle. 

13 minutes ago, Buck Rogers said:

On evidence so far, Moore seems to be a great recruiter and coach.

But would be better leaving the decisions on tactics, formation and style of play to someone else.

He’s a Terry Burton, we need a manager to come in and take over the day before a game.

3 minutes ago, Andy W said:

With the resources we have, and the infrastructure of the club, no.manager has much of a chance here. Our players are poor, lets be honest.

DM seems OK, no more than that at the moment but why change?

We started on a long period of mediocrity a couple of years ago, it will last a long time

As  is the way with the Owls, hope for the best expect the worse

More important things in life..like life

The infrastructure is shocking. 

To criticise the resources we have, I’m not too sure is a fair argument for this league. I bet the wage bill is right at the top end of this division.

The training facilities are lacking but I don’t think Moore has done enough to overhaul the club from top to bottom.

There’s still an awful culture and too many square pegs in round holes. From playing staff to coaching staff. From 1st team to junior level.

It’s all too fractious. Glaringly.

9 minutes ago, Andy W said:

With the resources we have, and the infrastructure of the club, no.manager has much of a chance here. Our players are poor, lets be honest.

DM seems OK, no more than that at the moment but why change?

We started on a long period of mediocrity a couple of years ago, it will last a long time

As  is the way with the Owls, hope for the best expect the worse

More important things in life..like life

Our players are far from poor - there's championship and PL experience across the board.

It's the system and style that's the problem, and one or two players short in key areas.

We've got to press teams and apply our style to dominate and win games. Not sure Moore knows what our style is or how to apply it with the players at his disposal. 15/20 mins of good, and effective football per game is simply not good enough. The players were physically tiring after 70mins yesterday and that's also a concern .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Youth Hawker said:

The infrastructure is shocking. 

To criticise the resources we have, I’m not too sure is a fair argument for this league. I bet the wage bill is right at the top end of this division.

The training facilities are lacking but I don’t think Moore has done enough to overhaul the club from top to bottom.

There’s still an awful culture and too many square pegs in round holes. From playing staff to coaching staff. From 1st team to junior level.

It’s all too fractious. Glaringly.

Agreed, by resources really meant transfer budget, wages are probably top end which is a big reason players come to us..doesn't mean they are good though?

I believe we haven't reached the bottpm of our decline yet

2 minutes ago, Animis said:

Our players are far from poor - there's championship and PL experience across the board.

It's the system and style that's the problem, and one or two players short in key areas.

We've got to press teams and apply our style to dominate and win games. Not sure Moore knows what our style is or how to apply it with the players at his disposal. 15/20 mins of good, and effective football per game is simply not good enough. The players were physically tiring after 70mins yesterday and that's also a concern .

Respect your point of view, just don't agree. 

I think we have poor players and our final league position will show that

Just my opinion

1 hour ago, Manwë said:

I don't understand what Moore has done to have constant praise heaped upon him.  

I've nothing against him, but what has he actually accomplished so far?   What glimpses are people seeing that I'm not seeing that point to success?

This is true. I think he gets a lot of praise from players he’s been associated with as he seems a good bloke and very popular with those in the game, but he has achieved anything of note yet in his managerial career. He underperformed at WBA, was hit and miss at Donny, and IMO should have done better last season with the games he had. This season the start isn’t good.

He’s got a lot to do to improve things but has the squad in my view to be towards the top if this league. Having given him free rein to bring these players in, it’s fair to give him a bit more time, but he has to learn quickly as modern football is unforgiving for managers.

42 minutes ago, Kameron said:

He needs to come to terms with the level we’re now at as do the players, it’s more physical and the refs will let more go.  If he doesn’t change his ways then he may as well go now otherwise we’ll still be playing it our from the back in 5 years time listening to the same b@llocks excuses week in week out wondering why we’re still in L1.  

Playing it out from the back is fine if you've got the options to do it and people brave enough to make a telling pass.

We have people who knock it from side to side a bit and then either give it away or end up smashing it long out of panic, boredom etc.

Also, if you're playing 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1, you've got to have fullbacks providing the attacking width, willing to do overloads and get in and around the byline to put good balls in the box.

Atm, you've got Hunt who seems reluctant to do this and Palmer who always wants to come inside on his favoured foot. So we are condensing our play and making it very easy for the opposition to sit in and deny us space to create much of anything; outside of a speculative Bannan floaty ball.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PortlandOwl said:

If you look at this league, there shouldn't be too much to worry about on paper. Even Sunderland, as always the massive favourites, look flakey. With this group of players, we really should be challenging for a top 6 spot in my opinion. It's still very early days. 

It is early days but let’s be honest about this group of players. We’d never heard of half of them three months ago so it’s nigh on impossible to judge if they can become a top six side. They are a collection of free transfers and loans and we can only form an opinion by what we see on the pitch. At the moment the jury’s out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kameron said:

We’re too easy to play against, our plan A doesn’t work and never will at this level.  In the last 3 games, Morecambe, Plymouth and Shrewsbury yesterday simply sat 30 yards off us and packed out the midfield leaving us to our sideways passes around the back 5.

Plan B is none existent so Chuck in a few errors, missed penalties and Bobs no longer yer uncle. 

NO PLAN B.jpg

• Thanks 1

Owlstalk Shop

3 hours ago, Jim said:

This season may well be a bit bumpy. In fact the next couple could be.

This all follows a period where the club has been on a downward spiral due to having a group of players for a long period of time that basically overstayed their welcome. Just one of those things, it happens. It could’ve and should’ve been avoided but IMO a combination of the Chairman’s wishes/decisions/actions and some very inept managers we now find ourselves where we currently are?

Now Moore has come in to try and usher in a new era of playing staff and style while being expected to challenge for promotion straight back to the championship. Has expected the start has been mixed for a variety of reasons but it’s not been a bad start but it hasn’t been a good one. 

There's a couple of crucial statements there.

1. The downward spiral. Far too many of our fans seem to have forgotten about this, and simply assumed that the off field problems have basically been solved. Not only is that probably not true, but the general malaise will linger for a while. It's just not as simple as thinking that the finances, the infrastructure and the squad have been fixed so it's business as usual.

2. The expectation of promotion. Again, this partly comes down to the 'problems have gone away' mentality, but also to the jaw dropping sense of entitlement that some of our fans seem to possess. I really don't know why anyone assumed we would immediately challenge for promotion given the miserable season we had last season, the off field problems and the turnover in playing staff. You've only got to look at the other so-called 'big' clubs who have struggled to get out of L1 to see that it was never going to be a cakewalk.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Eventually, we may need a manager with promotions on the CV. And at this level, and above as a bonus. I hope it can turn good for DM but if it doesn't then we will need someone with a plan. Look at Cowley. He might be just a one club man, or can't work well above League Two. It's achievements at the level and higher which count. I think DM has just a few good past spells to his name. I hope it can turn soon and he can notch something down. 

2 hours ago, 4evaowl said:

This is true. I think he gets a lot of praise from players he’s been associated with as he seems a good bloke and very popular with those in the game, but he has achieved anything of note yet in his managerial career. He underperformed at WBA, was hit and miss at Donny, and IMO should have done better last season with the games he had. This season the start isn’t good.

He’s got a lot to do to improve things but has the squad in my view to be towards the top if this league. Having given him free rein to bring these players in, it’s fair to give him a bit more time, but he has to learn quickly as modern football is unforgiving for managers.

Given how the finances were reported a few months ago, DM is lucky that we suddenly seemed to be able to hire players other clubs at our level could not afford,  no doubt partly funded by the departures' salaries.

When he arrived late last season, he talked systems and tinkered constantly,  as well as making some weird selections and substitutions, and did not improve things, admittedly having to manage remotely for part of the time because he was ill. The wins at Barnsley and home to Cardiff showed what might have been possible.

He's popular but he has to do more on the field and, given the players he has,  he ought to be fine this season,  as I repeat he has been lucky to have so many players,  although I fear he has recruited too many to gel a team, esp with Windass to fit in eventually.