Was it better….

On 19/09/2021 at 01:14, Ibbo48 said:

100% better back then .

You won, drew, lost,  went to the pub after a match talked about it ,laughed about it, enjoyed it or moaned about it.
The day after you just moved on to the next match.

No dissecting a match , calling players and slagging mates off that didn’t agree with you for days till it came round.

Social media has screwed the game just as much as it’s screwed modern day life.

To some people it is their life and they have none without it .

How can that be good , seriously ?.

Bl00dy spot on mate - brilliant post.

15 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Everything was better in the good old days...

Youre right mate obviously but don’t think for a minute you’ll get away with that sort of outrageous statement 😉

You weren’t whooshing me were you ?

On 19/09/2021 at 00:00, Basement Jack said:

…. 20 years ago Without social media or today with it?

Just made me think with Bannan apologizing for missing a penalty

Dunkley and Moore criticized  for the way they articulate in after match interviews

Training videos

Pre and post match interviews

Is it better now or when you hung on every word The Star  or The Green un said?

( sorry this may exclude many as they will not know a time before social media)

I think there is too much news these days with Social Media which is intrusive.  There is no hiding place these days and people (myself included) are stirred up into a frenzy and over reaction when things don’t go as planned.  The manager and players are damned if they post anything on social media and criticised when they don’t use it.  Total no win situation unless we are doing well.

There was something special at buying a newspaper for the sports news or logging on to Teletext,  waiting for the page to come on and forgetting to press the hold button before it went on to the next page!  With less news in say the 80’s and early 90’s I think there was more balance / tolerance.

• Like 1

It certainly seems like the past was better but I guess that’s because I’m old. I try to explain how it used to be better without social media to my kids but they just smile at me in that patronising way that I used to smile at my dad and grandad when they use to tell me that things were better before colour TV, chewing gum indoor toilets and and when houses were £500. 
My youngest summed it up nicely for me the other day. ‘If social media is that cràp Dad, then why is everyone on it all of the time?’  
I don’t have an answer to that, I guess I’ll have to Google it to find out…

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Utah Owl said:

pffftt!

Ceefax was were it was at mate!

Crikey Ceefax!!!

Remember staying up and watching England In Australia in the ashes on Ceefax....Half asleep took an hour to refresh, could hardly read it...Thought England were 364 before lunch!!..then did that thingy where you make the page bigger.....36/4..bloody daft Ceefax!!

Edited by asteener1867
  • Haha 2

Wednesday have always been a "secretive" club compared to most...

I recall ceefax when they started having a "page a club" news, us and dem Blades were always last pages ...

It was either blank ....

Some random ancient news or most often it would jump from Queens Park Rangers (the page before us) onto the first page Arsenal .....

Then another hour or so wait for it to come round again ....

Nothings changed that much really over the years though..

Whats that old saying ?

"NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS"....

:Chansiri:

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Youre right mate obviously but don’t think for a minute you’ll get away with that sort of outrageous statement 😉

You weren’t whooshing me were you ?

nah mate, my comment was to the OP about social media and the implicit demand for transparency permeating everything everywhere... I don't need Bannan to apologize for missing a penalty, neither should he even feel that he needs to go on social media to apologise for that... would that even have happened in football 20 years ago?

It's football, whatever happens on the pitch, happens and then you jeer them slightly for wasting an opportunity to bury the game, but once the full time whistle blows, I don't need the player to make a public statement how sorry he feels... You failed to hit the box, shrug it off, do better next time. Won't be last time you miss a penalty either.

This just being one example.. the comment was slightly in jest but at times I do actually miss how it was much simpler before.

/oldfart finished ranting lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Wednesday have always been a "secretive" club compared to most...

I recall ceefax when they started having a "page a club" news, us and dem Blades were always last pages ...

It was either blank ....

Some random ancient news or most often it would jump from Queens Park Rangers (the page before us) onto the first page Arsenal .....

Then another hour or so wait for it to come round again ....

Nothings changed that much really over the years though..

Whats that old saying ?

"NO NEWS IS GOOD NEWS"....

:Chansiri:

i remember when  the 'rents got a new telly and you could manually move through teletext pages.  It was like space travel.

10 minutes ago, acquiescefc said:

i remember when  the 'rents got a new telly and you could manually move through teletext pages.  It was like space travel.

Ah the "Hold" button !!!...

You could stop the page from moving on ...

Had to be quick mind ..

When that was invented the "Owls hating Ceefax page controller" in Bond villainesque style would only allow a split second before Arsenal re appeared ...

lol

On 20/09/2021 at 16:08, S72 Owl said:

I agree with this. Twitter seems to be the problem. I would back the club coming off Twitter because all you seem to see on there is abuse. 

Club should stick to putting important news on Facebook and any interviews/videos on Instagram. 

Quite like been able to talk about football throughout the week on Owlstalk though. 

The problem with Twitter is the amount of people who don’t use their own name and picture. 

Makes people alot more likely to post abuse.

The only way to stop it is to provide ID before signing up. 

On 19/09/2021 at 01:14, Ibbo48 said:

100% better back then .

You won, drew, lost,  went to the pub after a match talked about it ,laughed about it, enjoyed it or moaned about it.
The day after you just moved on to the next match.

No dissecting a match , calling players and slagging mates off that didn’t agree with you for days till it came round.

Social media has screwed the game just as much as it’s screwed modern day life.

To some people it is their life and they have none without it .

How can that be good , seriously ?.

Brilliant post. I agree with every word.And it really isn't to do with age.  Football has always been important to fans but it's just a game.  Nastiness and abuse have replaced  good old fashioned banter because of social media.  

• Like 1