Playing with one main striker

Well it's not really working is it? Struggled to create

chances all season, and what's the point of playing with two wide forwards when every time the ball is crossed Gregory is marked by two, sometimes three defenders?

I thought Moore had finally realised this when he brought Kamberi on to partner Gregory - or so I thought.  But no, he takes off the wide left forward, and then plays the extra centre forward... wide left

200.gif

Edited by alanharper
  • Like 7

we have we signed 6 wingers? when we only have an ageing 33 year old alone up front?  why sign kamberi who has a 1 in 5 goal ratio? 1 up front and playing sideways football is boring and will achieve nothing but failure .  its very sad that we can see this but darren cant and is too stubborn to do anything about it , sadly he will be sacked within weeks 

Gregory's made a career of dropping deep playing as a back to goal CF bringing the midfield and other forward players into play. He's currently isolated and fairly ineffective. When he does get the chance he's not quick enough or a good enough finisher. He's an honest enough player and has some good attributes but doesn't fit the system and isn't what we need if we persevere with it.

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Well it's not really working is it? Struggled to create

chances all season, and what's the point of playing with two wide forwards when every time the ball is crossed Gregory is marked by two, sometimes three defenders?

I thought Moore had finally realised this when he brought Kamberi on to partner Gregory - or so I thought.  But no, he takes off the wide left forward, and then plays the extra centre forward... wide left

200.gif

I really don't think he's up to the job. 

5 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

We definitely need to play 2 strikers . Kamberi on the left is embarrassing . Would like to know the stats on games Gregory as played in his career up front on his own . In my mind he always played with a partner. 

Gregory is such a poor striker. Depressing that this type of signing is where we are again 

53 minutes ago, Shetland Owl said:

No, no and thrice no. 

Need two strikers

also Paterson is far better than Kamberi

I hate this one striker nonsense - felt sorry for Kamberi today. He played him as a left winger and he isn’t, so had a stinker. Moore to blame for that.

• Like 1

Different strikers suit different formations and we never seem to realise this when recruiting them. Playing as a no. 9 in a 4-3-3 is a particularly complex role and the only striker we’ve had in recent years who really suited it was probably Lucas Joao.

Gregory’s spent years playing in a 4-4-2 at Millwall and Halifax. He did plenty right today in terms of winning headers, knockdowns and the like, but he needs somebody to play off him and feed off that, that would normally be a striking partner. 

He’s far from alone here, Kamberi put in a great cross for him in injury time but on no account is he a left winger, and Paterson playing on the right of the front three was enough to make my eyes bleed.

I’d still rather see us play a 3-5-2 with Hunt and Johnson as wing backs putting crosses into a proper strike pairing.