Not another bannan thread

2 hours ago, Avon barksdale said:

Certainly not a bannan hater and he’s clearly our best player but does that mean we’re just to accept bad results and turgid performances at home . Why not try something else for a change . Why not give wing the chance to become our best player , shodipo ? Aderinan or someone else . Do we simply just have to accept Bannans is our best player whilst going further and further down the leagues . The minute I saw hutch and bannan in the middle I didn’t think we’d win , I don’t know why ,it was just the feeling I got . I’d like to see Byers wing and Dennis together see what they’ve got . If it doesn’t work we can always go back to Bannan. 

Thanks for at least a considered response about why we should drop Bannan. I still disagree. You say 'he's clearly our best player' and yet you suggest we drop him. I repeat: if either the penalty had gone in or the Shodipo goal had been ruled correctly we'd have won that match thanks to Bannan's match-winning performance.

I take your point that it's possible that a midfield without Bannan might somehow have a better balance but it seems a long-shot. Meanwhile I'd rather keep our most likely match-winner on the pitch.

5 hours ago, Westfield Owl said:

Bannan isn’t to blame for yesterday’s result.

I’ve no idea why he’s taking penalties when we had experienced goal-scorers like Gregory and Berahinio available to take it instead.

Neither of them are experienced goalscorers. Gregory’s best season was 17 in league 1 about 5 years ago ffs.

As for Berahino, he hasn’t hit double figures at any of the six clubs he’s been at apart from West Brom, where he got 20 in 100 odd games 

Edited by FreshOwl

I'm not sure you can play Bannan in the attacking midfield role,he never runs in behind the opposition defence . In fact nobody runs beyond Gregory we must be so easy to play against. Bannan can only play in a deeper midfield role with someone with a bit of muscle. Our wingers don't help by staying out wide and wanting ball to feet all the time. 

20 minutes ago, BIG D said:

To say that Bannan is our best player but then suggest we drop him makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

It’d be a lot better if other players could raise their game once in a  while.

The problem is as good as Bannan is, he costs us in terms of the overall strength of our midfield. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

21 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

The problem is as good as Bannan is, he costs us in terms of the overall strength of our midfield. 

He's not a centre mid.

He's a busy bee with a cracking short pass on him.

HE'S NOT A F*CKING CENTRE MID. HE NEVER HAS BEEN.

PUT HIM IN AN ADVANCED POSITION AND THREATEN HIM WITH THE SACK IF HE DOESN'T DO WHAT HE'S TOLD!!!!!

FFS..FFS

• Like 2

Looking back to Saturday, Bannan got two assists, an assists of an assist and missed a pen.

Corner, obviously. His pass to the pen (should go down as an assist if we had a competent pen taker), and it was his pass which was the crucial pass of the disallowed goal (assist of an assist). Plus other key passes which others didnt make the best of. 

Play him forward and he will create chance - good/excellent chances. Let him ping it in from deep and it will be meat and drink to large centre halves.

10 hours ago, Rotherham Owl said:

Play him forward and he will create chance - good/excellent chances. Let him ping it in from deep and it will be meat and drink to large centre halves.

I agree. So its up to DM to make him do this. Fine him or sub him if he continually drops too deep. He will soon stop doing it.

12 minutes ago, BIG D said:

I'm sure he started further up the pitch on Saturday, the more we struggled to get up the pitch he went back looking for the ball.

Exactly this.

He took up an offensive position first half, but as we struggled to retain the ball second half he dropped deeper 

And this is our supposed midfield who people expect to create without Bannan in the side?

but who couldn’t retain the ball or create anything against bloody Shrewsbury? 

:laugh:

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

I'm. In the thinking that for this system/style Moore is trying to implement. It dosent suit bazza, he's got a cracking range of passing, but he too often slows our play down taking extra touches or wanting the ball back. 

For the way we're trying to play we need quick, passes zipping the ball about and getting wingers down the channels into space.its Not just bannan,  others do it too, but he's been doing this for years now, we miss that quick forward ball into space by messing about and release it after the space has been closed down and the door shut. 

Struggle to see how dropping Bannan is the answer

We have a lethargic, unfit defence and a keeper dropping howlers

Bannan is the predominant midfielder who seeks possession, I’m more worried about the players in our starting 11 that just pass him the ball and stop to watch him to do something with it

A few plodders in this squad are more than happy to hide in his shadow 

On 19/09/2021 at 21:16, Costello 77 said:

He's not a centre mid.

He's a busy bee with a cracking short pass on him.

HE'S NOT A F*CKING CENTRE MID. HE NEVER HAS BEEN.

PUT HIM IN AN ADVANCED POSITION AND THREATEN HIM WITH THE SACK IF HE DOESN'T DO WHAT HE'S TOLD!!!!!

FFS..FFS

Agree

He has great vision and his defence splitting short passes are excellent. Wide left attacking midfield for me.

Totally wasted playing as quarterback, it only sort of worked  for a short while when we had Fletcher leading the line and he had someone to aim at.

• Like 1

On 18/09/2021 at 12:43, Sefton owl said:

I’m his biggest fan, and can cut open defences like he did when we got the penalty. 

knew straight away it wasn’t going in, and was similar to one he tool against Bristol city at home that somehow snuck in. 

Penalty aside though, he had a very off day today. Someone sat near us on the Kop said moore will never sub him off and he’s right, but how much harm will it if we actually tried to play without him for a few games? Just something different. 

I said a few weeks ago that Bannon couldn't hit a barn door from 10ft. Why he takes pens is beyond me.