No left-footers on our left…

4 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

Palmer's done nothing wrong

He nearly scored again today

Palmer was atrocious second half today !!

We had Johnson on the bench and in a game where the opposition offered very little in attacking threat not bringing him on was not a good move. In fact none of his subs were good moves. Gotta have a go. He didn’t 

• Like 2

It’s not a case of Palmer doing anything wrong,  but playing him as left back works into the hands of the opposition.

Wing backs are such a big part of football and it’s clear Moore wants us to strongly utilise these areas, but what he’s doing (seemingly without noticing) is inadvertently nullifying a lot of our potential down that left side by playing Palmer who is only effective by playing inside the defender 

Drop Hunt (who is not the player of before), stick Palmer RB, Brown LB and keep them there for a sustained period 

• Like 4

Palmer was very good first half (when the whole team was) but second half he looked every bit a right back playing on the wrong side and was running into trouble instead of making space for Shodipo.

Having a right footer as LB is fine for the odd game in an emergency but he shouldn’t be first choice there, especially since we have Brown and Johnson.

I’d like to see Palmer or Hunt at RB and Brown or Johnson at LB moving forward - full backs are very important to the success of 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 in terms of adding natural width and allowing the wide attackers tuck in to support the number 9, and playing them on their natural side will make the system look more balanced as a whole IMO

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sefton owl said:

He’s garbage, and I think the reason he gets more slack than most because he’s ‘one of our own’

My old man, who is usually so supportive and never gets on the teams back, actually said the same thing yesterday. He’s capable of a decent showing here and there, but his Wednesday roots certainly do cloud a lot of judgements 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 2

Far too much is made of this for me. We had two left footed players (Brown and Johnson) on the left side at Morecambe and the performance was very similar to today, with a worse outcome.

Shodipo is right footed but put at least two great balls over in the first half with his left. 

Palmer does come inside a lot because it's natural for him but yesterday in the second half the 'touchline option' was very rarely on for him. Curring inside can also be very effective.

It's more to do with lack of mobility, movement off the ball and space creating than what someone's favoured foot it for god's sake.

Drives me up the wall.. 

At times managers have HAD to do it because of being skint or lack of depth.

Can we please Ban the bloody shoe horn snd simply play players on there natural side in their natural position.

We have 2 left backs who both look easily top end of this division, yet we still insist on shoe Horning  a right back in becouse we can't drop hunt or Palmer. 

Palmer was disappointing against Plymouth, lost the ball a few times when trying to cut inside and also had a few wayward passes. 

His decision making isn't good enough for him to be on the left either. He needs to be a right back.

How annoyed this makes me. Professional footballers on goodness knows how much a week, and we're talkig abot foght- and left-footed players.

I well remember my old man (bless his socks)  giving me my first pair of Footie Boots. When I came to put them on for the first time, and I will never forget his first words - ''Reight or left footed?' 'Reight.' 'Fair enough. Put this on thee reight foot.'he said, handing me a plimsol. 'Now put thee Left Boot on.' He then proceeded to keep throwing me a damp casey (the old yupr lrather ball) and had me use both feet. I quickly learbed that it didn't hurt as much on the left as the right When we finished the  session, he said 'Tha'll always remember that tha's got two feet. Tha'll always be better  on'treight, but tha'll always be able to use both feet, and don'tforget = thee left leg isn't just for standing on!'

It pains me today to see players so obviously one legged,

7 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

How annoyed this makes me. Professional footballers on goodness knows how much a week, and we're talkig abot foght- and left-footed players.

I well remember my old man (bless his socks)  giving me my first pair of Footie Boots. When I came to put them on for the first time, and I will never forget his first words - ''Reight or left footed?' 'Reight.' 'Fair enough. Put this on thee reight foot.'he said, handing me a plimsol. 'Now put thee Left Boot on.' He then proceeded to keep throwing me a damp casey (the old yupr lrather ball) and had me use both feet. I quickly learbed that it didn't hurt as much on the left as the right When we finished the  session, he said 'Tha'll always remember that tha's got two feet. Tha'll always be better  on'treight, but tha'll always be able to use both feet, and don'tforget = thee left leg isn't just for standing on!'

It pains me today to see players so obviously one legged,

Tbf Maradona, probably the greatest of all time was predominately left footed