Here's my main frustration

The 2nd half proves he's lost for ideas or struggles to adapt. Wants to play a system, and can't adjust when it doesn't work which is increasingly happening. Not sure if he has the players to adjust TBH, but something needs to give or we'll drift around mid-table and apathy will set in again across the club.

3 minutes ago, shez owl said:

Bannan misses pen and that was end of that. To miss the target is unforgivable, as an experienced pro you should know that you score that and the game is yours, smash it down the middle man!

That game was all down to the penalty 

There was over an hours worth of football left to play when he missed.

If we are only capable of playing for 23 minutes (and it looks like we might be) then we’re in big trouble (which we are) 

• Like 1

We are not difficult to play against. All you have to do is show our team onto the outside because:

1. We rarely cross the ball into the box, as we just play it back inside.

2. Our crosses are shocking and do not often find anyone. And when we don't win the first ball, we never win the second.

After twenty minutes our tempo drops, players stop making runs, and it's just static.

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

There was over an hours worth of football left to play when he missed.

If we are only capable of playing for 23 minutes (and it looks like we might be) then we’re in big trouble (which we are) 

Yep.

But the miss changed the game completely. They got confidence we got frustrated and our flow stopped dead.

2 minutes ago, NeonLeon said:

Chopping and changing every week, playing players out of their recognised positions & an absolute lack of intensity is a big concern for me from today. 

It's gonna get chopped and changed again next match
It's just so frustrating
We're not gonna know our best eleven until february

Owlstalk Shop

2 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

It's gonna get chopped and changed again next match
It's just so frustrating
We're not gonna know our best eleven until february

Multiple clean sheets with the back five & midfield that played the first 3 games, players in a system that looked like the future of this side going forward.

Since Rotherham he’s tinkered and changed that 8 over and above what was needed. And since then the performances have dropped and the results have gone with them. Injuries aside, just a really strange decision to make. 

52 minutes ago, Plonk said:

What I find frustrating is we were excellent for 30 mins. Any one of the three or four good chances go in and we are flying. Then we miss the pen and just turn to dog poo. What’s happening that we are so fragile?

It’s not fragility, it’s lack of effort 

It didn’t happen for us in the first 30 mins so they couldn’t be bothered to keep it up 

It was clear as day to see second half. A number of occasions I saw players walking around who could of got near the ball, lazy clearances, lazy passing 

Edited by FreshOwl
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, victorturner said:

When too many players are recruited, it is difficult to put out a settled team.  Mistake was to sign so many wing/ forward players 

Disagree. That front 3 is the only part of the team where you can change players in and out depending on opposition, for me. 

The only gripe I’ve got with the front 3 is the persistence with it being made up of two out and out strikers and an inverted winger. Kamberi coming on today to play wide left, Berahino playing right wing for 60minutes too, baffling. 

Just play two wide men and a striker. 

Edited by NeonLeon

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

We're into the new season now

We've had a couple of good results, some average ones and some bad ones

But forget the actual results for a moment. 

Let's have a look at the squad, the formation, tactics, approach, and the starting eleven

What is it?

I'm struggling to say what our style is (apart from playing from the back), I have no idea what our formation is, I don't know what our starting eleven should be.

That's my main concern/frustration

It's like we are into the season but playing around with the starting lineup and formations like it's the start of pre-season

That's the main frustration for me.

Not the results but the lack of understanding

And amazingly the lack of fitness; we looked knackered half way through the second half . 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

We have fair few problems that are becoming more obvious game after game.

We struggle whenever opposition put us under slightest pressure ?

Why we don't work harder off the ball ? When we are in possession most of our players just stand or walk instead of busting their guts to make themselves available for the pass.

Bannan is our best player, but as soon as we start struggling he drops deep creating huge space between our midfield and our forwards.

Starting Hutch in midfield is an old idea and one that stopped working for us years ago. Trying poor old ideas reeks of a manager who is panicking and doesn't have clue what to do.

And as original poster asked, what is the plan once we get ball in opponents 3'rth ? It doesn't look like we have anything agreed or that players know what to do and it all comes to crossing aimlessly to no one in particular or to Bannan's improvisations.

I don't think that we really outplayed anyone this season and last 3 games we looked more like a relegation fodder than promotion candidates.

• Like 4

I'm not worried yet. 5 months ago we thought we were going to the wall, thought that we would have no players and be playing kids in the team. We are in a better position than I dared hope.  Many of us, including me, got a tad carried away with all our signings and thought HMS PTL was a possibility, but it is the Wednesday way to hope! Our new striker scored today, we had chances to win the game and we will get better. It's a disappointing outcome today for sure, but let's not overreact. Changing manager after manager will get us nowhere, give it time and watch us have a much better second half of the season. 

• Like 4

It's the lack of identity whats puzzling me, considering we've had a pre season to prepare for this. At the moment it's playing it out from the back and then looking continually lost after that.

If its possession based then we've got it totally wrong because of the lack of urgency and willing to show for the ball from our players to support a team mate for the pass, the players run into brick walls and we lose possession so softly.

It can't be a direct style side because we simply dont have enough attacking options who are good in the air, Gregory and Paterson aside, and we don't press high enough to win the second balls. 

Wether this is a new team and yes it does take time for them gel, but we just don't seem to be getting the basics right such as sticking to a settled squad or having a plan B ( whatever plan A actually is) At the moment we are every opponents dream to play against because we are the only side who can have the ball in the final third/penalty box and it ends up back in our own defence in about 3 passes.

• Like 1