Jump to content

Sheff Wed 97/98 - Championship Manager


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:


Not hard to see where the problems were, is it. Can see a decent enough first team there - with Di Canio, Carbone and Alexanderson representing some actual quality - but then there’s absolutely nothing. 

 

Think you could look at Man Utd and say the same thing in the 1990s.

 

Clubs didn't carry anything like the ridiculously huge squads they do today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I seem to remember one CM around that time had Peterborough United with half a dozen brilliant youngsters that you could immediately poach for peanuts.

 

We subsequently bought a couple of them in real life and they were poo ..

Edited by owlinexile
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, owlinexile said:

 

Think you could look at Man Utd and say the same thing in the 1990s.

 

Clubs didn't carry anything like the ridiculously huge squads they do today.

 

Oh yeah definitely, that's kinda what I was aiming at but forgot to actually say so!

 

Amazing how a screenshot from a game like that can provide such a window into the past in many ways.. and not just because I played way too much of that game back in the day.. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Remember having on version from when Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy were both still at Crewe. 

 

Used to sign them in every save and they always did well. Clearly the designers already knew they had Prem potential when they made that game that year.

 

The scouting network the developers of these games have and use is incredible. Pretty sure quite a few clubs have a real life scouting partnership with them.. seem to recall Everton making a big deal of it a few years back. 

 

I used to play these games a ton. I can remember signing loads of players as 17/18 year olds on these games who have since retired as legends for club and country in real life.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Bruce was on the bench in the game at home to Derby, where I believe Nigel Clough also played for us.

 

we lost 5-2,  Paolo Wanchope absolutely tore us to pieces.  Blondeau eventually gave up trying to tackle him, and just got himself a red card, he looked pleased to walk off the pitch.  Wanchope looked the worlds best striker that night.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Leaping Lannys Perm said:

Remember having on version from when Neil Lennon and Danny Murphy were both still at Crewe. 

 

Used to sign them in every save and they always did well. Clearly the designers already knew they had Prem potential when they made that game that year.

So did I!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

 

Oh yeah definitely, that's kinda what I was aiming at but forgot to actually say so!

 

Amazing how a screenshot from a game like that can provide such a window into the past in many ways.. and not just because I played way too much of that game back in the day.. 

I played it too much as well. Even to the extent where I told the lady who would become the current Mrs B (we were still courting in them days) that I was busy and couldn't meet up with her....

 

She still ended up marrying me despite my appalling attitude.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

Bruce Grobbelaar was only ever an used sub for us on a couple of occasions.

Was a great goalkeeper for Liverpool but think the match fixing allegations make him a person I would have little time for.

I don't think anything in particular was proven but plenty of evidence he was up to no good.

A stain on our game.

Used to read the football results - on Friday night.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved that game, Guy Branston, Graham Lee and Darren Purse as my 3 first choice centre backs in 532 formation, with Richie Wellens and Dean Keates in the middle and a guy called James Flood from Stockport County upfront, world beaters the lot of them. 

Sadly was rather dissapointed with tje first 3 when the finally did turn up at Hillsborough lol

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...