Tom Lees

42 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

But he’s not a fine defender in today’s world, is he?

Depends what you define as good I suppose, for a lower league club maybe hoofing into row z is all that’s required 

But he’s horrendous with the ball at his feet, awful passer, poor anticipation, could easily get turned and rinsed 

Agree with all of this… truly was scared to death when the ball came to his feet

He was an expensive luxury at this level so I understand why we got rid. My heart is a lot steadier now but I still wake up in a cold sweat dreaming of him with the ball at his feet.

I've gor a lot of time for him as a pure defender though and wish him well.

Lees is OK while ever there is someone around him to talk to him and be vocal as soon as he's the one in charge and having to talk to others and be a leader he struggles 

It was noticeable he picked up with (loovens,  Hector )were alongside talking to him same with Westwood in net talking to him all time , that his game improved 

When he's got to be the main voice ie when iorfa started there or palmer had to play alongside him and we had one of wildsmith or Dawson in net he looked bag average if not poor 

Thats the big problem with him and always has been 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, westy365owl said:

Lees is OK while ever there is someone around him to talk to him and be vocal as soon as he's the one in charge and having to talk to others and be a leader he struggles 

It was noticeable he picked up with (loovens,  Hector )were alongside talking to him same with Westwood in net talking to him all time , that his game improved 

When he's got to be the main voice ie when iorfa started there or palmer had to play alongside him and we had one of wildsmith or Dawson in net he looked bag average if not poor 

Thats the big problem with him and always has been 

the blokes played over 500 games with probably 350 without loovens or hector alongside him.......you cant play 350 games at championship level by being bang average or poor .

• Like 5

In my very humble opinion, if you have a player who defends brilliantly, but is a liability bringing the ball out, you play to his strengths.

Much in the same way that if you have Hector and tell him to hoof it out you’ve wasted an true asset.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

32 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In my very humble opinion, if you have a player who defends brilliantly, but is a liability bringing the ball out, you play to his strengths.

Much in the same way that if you have Hector and tell him to hoof it out you’ve wasted an true asset.

Would agree with this 100% mate 

Owlstalk Shop

46 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

But one limited defender shouldn't dictate the whole team strategy. 

3 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

But one limited defender shouldn't dictate the whole team strategy. 

The manager dictates the strategy. End of.

But, the manager should look at the tools and decide how best to use them. Later, once he’s had a dabble in the transfer market, he can mould a squad to fit his vision of how to play. 

• Like 1

Just now, Holmowl said:

The manager dictates the strategy. End of.

But, the manager should look at the tools and decide how best to use them. Later, once he’s had a dabble in the transfer market, he can mould a squad to fit his vision of how to play. 

Spot on, not Tom Lees.

A manager with a passing philosophy isn't going to change that because Tom Lees can't trap a bag of sand, he'd be replaced in no time.

23 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

I'm one who gave him a lot of stick last season, I thought he (paid or not) was f*cking abysmal barring one or two games, the move has probably done him the world of good. Having the armband never helped him, not being alongside a Loovens or Hector never helped either.

He was one of our better players last season.

• Haha 1