New retail park approved for the old Wednesdayite carpark

2 hours ago, BlueandWhiteOwl said:

Largely unimaginative development – in my opinion Hillsborough is crying out for some more interesting places to eat and drink, and some innovative event spaces, rather than more generic shops – but at least it will be used for something, and presumably all the companies moving in see it as a good prospect or they would look elsewhere.

However, it's a bizarre missed opportunity to get developers to pay for better walking and cycling infrastructure that would improve links with the city centre. The reasons the Council gave for not ensuring this was the case are absolutely bizarre (apparently Penistone Road is not a "Strategic Cycle Route"... err, well, it should be?!). You can read more about it here. It's a pretty disgraceful failure of planning, to be honest.

Tend to agree but the area is fairly isolated, not near any residential other than across the very busy road. I think it is as good as they can get. Jaguar have a good record on this size of development.

I agree about the cycle route classification - we are miles behind other cities in cycle lane design. I was in London last week and it's widespread and very obvious - they are clearly spending vast amounts of money on cycle lanes and green spaces. Our industrial and limited resources background tends to push these issue to one side.

4 hours ago, BIG D said:

It'll definitely smarten the area up. People always complain about the extra traffic, like they did with the new Aldi at the bottom of Stannington Rd - made absolutely no difference.

No one will go to there when there is a match on unless it's fans going into a coffee shop/similar.

They'll probably be shut on match day.

I'm always surprised when that sandwich shop (Lilys?) on Penistone Road is always closed when I go past it on match days. The one day where they have a load of passing trade yet they don't bother opening.

As an S6 resident, I for one welcome a new supermarket.

Within walking distance we only have; Tesco at Upperthorpe

Aldi and Iceland at old mecca bingo site

Lidl at Malin Bridge

Morrisons, Iceland, Heron foods, Fultons and Little Asda in Hillsborough 

Tesco express at Wisewood

Sainsburys at Wadsley Bridge 

Jack's at Kilner Way 

Lidl on Halifax Road

Asda and Farmfoods on cross

It's a wonder how I've not starved.

In all seriousness though, it's only the business of whoever puts the money in.

Needed developing.

Just a shame the club (presumably) never sought to buy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Dutch McLovin said:

Is this not an old piece ?? 

I know this got approved a few years ago when Jaguar bought the land but I thought with covid this had been scrapped and the land was back up for lease ?,

No brand new

The land got snapped up and planning put in but has only just been sorted 

• Like 1

Owlstalk Shop

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Will there be a Frankie and Bennies? 

Nandos? 

Had the worst breakfast I've ever had in my life at a Frankie and Beans once. 

11 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

OK I'll pick up the Baton.. Whay the f##k hasthis got to do with Wednesdayite?. They never owned the land. They mearly leased it from those who did, and attempted, rather successfuly, to provide parjing space for fellow supporters. Pity the Club didn't buy the land , and come upmwith a plan for parking on matchdays with mulyi use units around and above. 

You need a spellchecker  pal 

and maybe a stiff drink 

lol

Viva Las Vegas 

• Haha 1

So many amazing independents cooking real quality food at great prices. There's absolutely no need to eat at these mass produced manufactured places at all. 

I despair when I see people going to Miller and Carter for a 'special occasion'

47 minutes ago, Grandad said:

Had the worst breakfast I've ever had in my life at a Frankie and Beans once. 

9 minutes ago, Grandad said:

So many amazing independents cooking real quality food at great prices. There's absolutely no need to eat at these mass produced manufactured places at all. 

I despair when I see people going to Miller and Carter for a 'special occasion'

The best meals I have ever had have also been in  owner ran  restaurants.

Except for Breakfast where I think the american style buffett breakfasts offered in this country by Marriott , Hilton etc are on another level 

20 minutes ago, soldierboyblue said:

The land has been in the possession of Tescos for the past 10 years or so. They were going to build a huge TA Centre there but it fell through.

Jaguar estates bought it approx 5 yrs ago. It was offered to the club first

I believe it went for £2m