New retail park approved for the old Wednesdayite carpark

7 minutes ago, Grandad said:

While we're covering stuff like this - can I just add that wednesdayite and their directors have never (not once) had an all expenses paid trip to Vegas.

Not ALL expenses. Hookers were a purely personal choice

Rugby hookers?

In my experience no matter what is developed anywhere on unused land someone will say the proposals are the wrong ones. Whether it be business,retail or leisure,all creating employment hopefully, the local economy will not be any worse off.  In a way it's the same with proposed housing developments of varying densities when people object,not because they don't wish to see development,but because it's perhaps too near their own property. When reading objections to planning applications it's interesting to to see the reasons  some objectors(domestic and business) cite for opposing the proposed development.

• Like 3

Just now, nevthelodgemoorowl said:

What you mean annual trip ? Blue Goggles has a mansion there lol 

I'm not staying there again. 

Last time I did he jumped out while I was reversing the hire car

Largely unimaginative development – in my opinion Hillsborough is crying out for some more interesting places to eat and drink, and some innovative event spaces, rather than more generic shops – but at least it will be used for something, and presumably all the companies moving in see it as a good prospect or they would look elsewhere.

However, it's a bizarre missed opportunity to get developers to pay for better walking and cycling infrastructure that would improve links with the city centre. The reasons the Council gave for not ensuring this was the case are absolutely bizarre (apparently Penistone Road is not a "Strategic Cycle Route"... err, well, it should be?!). You can read more about it here. It's a pretty disgraceful failure of planning, to be honest.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Steelman said:

Good to see, it's an eyesore that needed some investment. It will improve the area.

And unless it's already been stated elsewhere what the exact units are going to be, how do we know there aren't going to be a couple of food outlets or a bar??

For those that are old enough to remember there were steel works and cutlery factories surrounding Hillsborough not to mention Bramalls Gold Rooms and scrap yard, Kwik Fit and the like. This for me added to the feel of going to the match as the stadium is part of the community and should remain so. 

Shame the club wasn't in a position to buy the land and create a 'Wednesdayland'. The club shop could move over there, could have Wednesday themed pub/restaurant. Museum, a 5aside pitch. Make a killing on matchdays and wouldn't do too bad during the week I would imagine. And to top it all a blue and white lit up bridge over Penistone Road into the ground. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, markg said:

Where are they going to get their signage from for their shop when their shop isn't open yet to sell them the signage?

Look at the picture... they've already got them. You can see 3 big ones in the photo. They might have another branch somewhere but I couldn't find it in a Google search.

Looks like they have a lot of competition though, there's loads of companies out there doing signs.