Find our Front 3 asap

With a healthy squad our back 5 and middle 3 are sorted. That’s a great place to be. Moore is picking from a tiny pool of defenders and CMs. Only tweaks and injury will see the starting sheet changed.

However, he is picking from an ocean of forwards.

Here’s our front 3, starting with the Huddersfield game:

Shodipo Paterson Green

Brown Paterson Green

Johnson Kamberi Green

Johnson Gregory Adeniran 

Brown Kamberi Paterson

Brown Gregory Paterson

Johnson Gregory Sow

Still to start - Corbeanu, Berahino and Windass.

Its too many. We could be sponsored by Heinz 57.

Lets be honest, after 7 games, not one of the above has come close to nailing down a shirt. Post a thread on here and we fans would pick an array of front 3s. More importantly, so would Moore - he has!

Its normal and understandable that it takes time to find a settled attack, but it can’t be allowed to take much longer. I predict that we won’t have a settled front 3 for at least another month, probably two months, and possibly not all season. 

It’s early days. Maybe one, two or even three will shine so brightly that they become certain starters. Personally I have great hope for a Windass-Gregory-Berahino forward-line. What I desperately hope we avoid is a season-long, lucky-dip, pick-any-3-from-10 approach. It would not work.

• Like 4

I’m more worried about the midfield than the forwards right now. Maybe because both Luongo and Adeniran were both out we were forced into this weeks selection. But we shouldn’t be brushed aside that easy and it’s irrelevant who’s upfront if we lose that battle. 

• Like 9

Well I’m going to disagree with the first few repliers.

We’ve scored 5 in 7. We haven’t looked like adding to that. By contrast, only because Adeniran was injured did we get overrun (is Dele even close to being good enough?) on Saturday.

Its a forward-line we need. 

Brown, Johnson, Paterson can do a job, but too pragmatic and don't think we need to be so.

At the moment, for me, the greatest attacking threat is provided by Corbeanu and Shodipo either side of Gregory and that should be the starting front three.  Give them the ball to chase in the channels and opportunity run at the opposition. Pushes the opposition back and us further up the pitch 

It's a different dynamic when Windass fit, but for the time being, my pick 

Edited by striker

Windass and berahino are key to our season.

only players we have who can put the skids up a back 4 and get them on their heels. Without either we will be marched up the pitch especially away, Bannan will retreat to stand on hutchinsons toes and we will be back to where we were last season.

• Like 2

I feel like our tactical approach to games is more urgent than the players we choose in those positions. Our forwards are isolated, wide players running down blind alleys with no evidence of a tactical plan. It’s literally a tactical black hole that plays out from the back, badly……

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philb125 said:

I’m more worried about the midfield than the forwards right now. Maybe because both Luongo and Adeniran were both out we were forced into this weeks selection. But we shouldn’t be brushed aside that easy and it’s irrelevant who’s upfront if we lose that battle. 

Agree. I'd have rather seen Paterson in there making a nuisance of himself  for one of Byers or Wing.

Think he also gives us that extra aerial presence defending set pieces. 

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Yellowbelly said:

I’d go Windass Gregory Berahino to get some bodies in the box.

This is what i'm looking forward to seeing, with a midfield 3 of: Luongo, Adeniran and Bannan. That has legs, power, creativity and pace which will have the team sit higher up the pitch especially with how Adeniran and to an extent luongo can break forward with the ball but also protect the defence. 

I just hope Moore starts to show that he can influence games with his changes, because we didn't see any of that last season and the double substitution on 58 minutes Saturday was a hail mary abandonment of any tactics that we started with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Well I’m going to disagree with the first few repliers.

We’ve scored 5 in 7. We haven’t looked like adding to that. By contrast, only because Adeniran was injured did we get overrun (is Dele even close to being good enough?) on Saturday.

Its a forward-line we need. 

I agree with you on this. We didn’t get over run on Saturday, we had 62% of the possession. Add to the 67% possession we had at Morecambe and we still couldn’t score

The issue is clearly up front. Whoever is playing as the central striker becomes isolated very quickly due to the fact that neither wide man gets anywhere near to him. Then add in none of the midfield support the attack. We quickly end up with 1 up front

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

With a healthy squad our back 5 and middle 3 are sorted. That’s a great place to be. Moore is picking from a tiny pool of defenders and CMs. Only tweaks and injury will see the starting sheet changed.

Shodipo Paterson Green

Brown Paterson Green

Johnson Kamberi Green

Johnson Gregory Adeniran 

Brown Kamberi Paterson

Brown Gregory Paterson

Johnson Gregory Sow

Lets be honest, after 7 games, not one of the above has come close to nailing down a shirt. Post a thread on here and we fans would pick an array of front 3s. More importantly, so would Moore - he has!

Its normal and understandable that it takes time to find a settled attack, but it can’t be allowed to take much longer. I predict that we won’t have a settled front 3 for at least another month, probably two months, and possibly not all season. 

It’s early days. Maybe one, two or even three will shine so brightly that they become certain starters. Personally I have great hope for a Windass-Gregory-Berahino forward-line. What I desperately hope we avoid is a season-long, lucky-dip, pick-any-3-from-10 approach. It would not work.

I agree. It's the one part of the team we keep constantly changing. And the fact we have scored so little goals proves we need to pick 3 and go with it.

And also the fact we are desperate for Windass to be back. Who I think will be a more effective player for us than Bannan this season.

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Shodipo Paterson Green

Brown Paterson Green

Johnson Kamberi Green

Johnson Gregory Adeniran 

Brown Kamberi Paterson

Brown Gregory Paterson

Johnson Gregory Sow

No idea, but from what I’ve seen up to now I can’t imagine a front three being settled until Windass returns.