Don’t believe the hype

A new team is very brittle and confidence can disappear very quickly. 

The players will be getting this drilled into them all week from DM. They are good enough to win this league. But only if we all put 100% from the very first second of every game to the last. The reaction from the morecambe game is not what we needed. 

I hope DM is telling them that nobody is expecting free flowing expansive football. Don't get me wrong I would love to see that. But what we all expect and deserve to see is 100% effort 100% of the time. Not what Hutchison did 5 seconds after whistle. But aggressive play at the right moment in the right way. 

Nobody wins anything at football playing anything below 95% effort not even the best teams against lower opposition. In no way is the team good enough to win and not put 100% effort in. 

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, hirstys_achilles said:

A new team is very brittle and confidence can disappear very quickly. 

The players will be getting this drilled into them all week from DM. They are good enough to win this league. But only if we all put 100% from the very first second of every game to the last. The reaction from the morecambe game is not what we needed. 

I hope DM is telling them that nobody is expecting free flowing expansive football. Don't get me wrong I would love to see that. But what we all expect and deserve to see is 100% effort 100% of the time. Not what Hutchison did 5 seconds after whistle. But aggressive play at the right moment in the right way. 

Nobody wins anything at football playing anything below 95% effort not even the best teams against lower opposition. In no way is the team good enough to win and not put 100% effort in. 

Agreed 

Great post 

Owlstalk Shop

On 12/09/2021 at 13:02, northeastowl said:

It’s the players who need to stop believing in their own hype. 

They're the ones coming out in interviews saying we are going to win the league and when we click we will batter teams.

Unfortunately lads when you can’t be arsed to put the effort in and have the right mental attitude then you won’t achieve anything.

I know they might argue it’s a one off but title winning teams don’t do that. They don’t go to mid table teams and get spanked 3-0 with little effort/fight. And in saying effort/fight i don’t mean the type like Hutchinson who gets a yellow but smashing someone 5 seconds after the whistle has gone because he’s lost his head. 

So how many teams can you name that go unbeaten for a season?

• Love 1

5 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Is it genuine embarrassment that folk feel after a defeat?

I've wondered for a bit, about saying it's embarrassing.

I don't think its true. Its disappointing but never embarrassing.

Surely!

It depends on the performance. I thought we played well for most of the Morecambe game and lost,  not happy that we didn't win but these things happen. The performance in the first half a Plymouth was dreadful, almost embarrassing for the players. After shooting their mouths off about winning the league with our squad. they should be embarrassed.

The Atlantic suggested our players were intimidated by the noise the Plymouth fans made...that would be really embarrassing if true.

It's in the past now let's move on.

• Thanks 1

We're still a big name with a big ground dropping down into this division, add to that we've signed some big names and quality that we're wanted by championship clubs, you wouldn't have thought wouldn't have come to play in this division. It's a bit cliche, but for a lot of teams here we're a big draw a big incentive to come out and treat us like a cup final.

Teams are really going to bust a gut to beat us, so if we want to finish top two and get promoted we're going to have to match that commitment for every game otherwise we won't. 

On 12/09/2021 at 13:02, northeastowl said:

It’s the players who need to stop believing in their own hype. 

They're the ones coming out in interviews saying we are going to win the league and when we click we will batter teams.

Unfortunately lads when you can’t be arsed to put the effort in and have the right mental attitude then you won’t achieve anything.

I know they might argue it’s a one off but title winning teams don’t do that. They don’t go to mid table teams and get spanked 3-0 with little effort/fight. And in saying effort/fight i don’t mean the type like Hutchinson who gets a yellow but smashing someone 5 seconds after the whistle has gone because he’s lost his head. 

There is no excuse for not trying, you can be the best player in the world but you are no good with out the ball.

As soon as the team loses the ball every player is a defender and must do their upmost to win the ball back as son as possible.

What make's you think we are a title winning team?, we are still a w.i.p, maybe this time next season we will be in a better position to challenge.

On 12/09/2021 at 13:21, Barnsleyowl1996 said:

Hard work beats talent if talent doesn’t work hard .

everytime we go on the pitch we’ve got to win second balls, work hard , win tackles , win our duels and only then can we start to show our quality and skill . 

True.

You have to win the right to play football, and that only come's with hard work.

46 minutes ago, adelphi1867 said:

There is no excuse for not trying, you can be the best player in the world but you are no good with out the ball.

As soon as the team loses the ball every player is a defender and must do their upmost to win the ball back as son as possible.

What make's you think we are a title winning team?, we are still a w.i.p, maybe this time next season we will be in a better position to challenge.

The players are telling us they’re a title winning team, nothing to do with my opinion. You’re not a title winning team unless you’re willing to work as hard as the opposition, on Saturday we didn’t. 

We have a massive squad of very good league 1 level players. Will DM be able to get them to gel into a team is the question. It’s early days but he’s struggling so far. 

On 14/09/2021 at 05:22, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Is it genuine embarrassment that folk feel after a defeat?

I've wondered for a bit, about saying it's embarrassing.

I don't think its true. Its disappointing but never embarrassing.

Surely!

The morecambe defeat, you could chalk up as one of those games, we had plenty of chances to win it let alone get a draw and we're much the better side over 90mins. 

I do understand using the word embarasing, but not becouse of defeat. I'd say the performance or lack of was more embarrassing. 

The lack of effort, coordination and cohesion was the point of embarasment. Having trained all week on shape /formation etc... Then on matchday look like 11 Sunday league players thrown together for the first hour or so.