Don’t believe the hype

1 hour ago, northeastowl said:

It’s the players who need to stop believing in their own hype. 

They're the ones coming out in interviews saying we are going to win the league and when we click we will batter teams.

Unfortunately lads when you can’t be arsed to put the effort in and have the right mental attitude then you won’t achieve anything.

I know they might argue it’s a one off but title winning teams don’t do that. They don’t go to mid table teams and get spanked 3-0 with little effort/fight. And in saying effort/fight i don’t mean the type like Hutchinson who gets a yellow but smashing someone 5 seconds after the whistle has gone because he’s lost his head. 

That’s pashun 

I’ve been realistic from the start so I’m not surprised in the slightest 

We are still in a much better position now without last seasons wasters on the payroll

Even though we’re a league lower we’re in better shape this season for sure

Still having nightmares about Reach, Brown etc 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

EH???

Fun and games in training is fine as long as it doesnt breed complacency. When athletes get too comfortable and start functioning on autopilot or in ‘La La Land,’ it puts them at risk of making more mind-not-on-task performance errors. We also see an increase in injuries due to complacency, too.

1 minute ago, Miffed said:

For me it’s the fans who have built up the hype and got carried away, not the players.

It feels like we signed a new team and all of a sudden people started losing their heads thinking we were going to walk the league. Expectations have completely overtaken reality and now we’ve had a couple of bad results it’s upset a few.

Maybe it’s the fans who need the reality check and not the players. 

Mid table would still be a good season as far as I’m concerned.

Completely agree, except the last point. With several bumps in the road, we can and should get promoted this year.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pieman said:

Completely agree, except the last point. With several bumps in the road, we can and should get promoted this year.

Possibly, but I’m just basing it on the last couple of seasons. There was a real threat at the end of last season that we could drop straight through this division and possibly into oblivion. Anything other than a relegation battle would be a positive season as far as I’m concerned. 

The rebuild is going to take time, the complete playing squad from top to bottom was a mess. At least Moore and his team appear to be addressing some of the issues, and not just with the first team.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, sacré bleu said:

Fun and games in training is fine as long as it doesnt breed complacency.  

fizz me

So let me just get this straight

You honestly seriously genuinely believe that Darren Moore and the coaching staff at SWFC are now just letting the players have 'fun and games' in training instead of planning properly for matches?

• Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Apparently not

A few of our fans have even called for a ban on any pics/videos of the players looking happy and positive 

lol

Unreal innit

The reaction has been insane...but predictable. Being realistic it was always going to take a few months to get things to gel. Maybe if we had a slower start and then started getting results the bed wetting wouldn’t have been too bad. Let’s see where we are in November before setting fire to ourselves eh?

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The reaction has been insane 

Let's just review just a few of the things the fans have said since yesterday's game/result

The videos of players being positive midweek should be banned

The players shouldn't be having fun at our club
We should play 4-4-2 as only winners do that (despite Plymouth playing with 3 at the back yesterday when they beat us)

Darren Moore should be sacked

Darren Moore should have kept us up last season despite being in hospital with Covid and Pneumonia

We've signed too many players

We should be top of the league because Darren Moore had a full pre-season without all his players being at the club
It's Chansiri's fault we lost

We lost because we were playing in a pink shirt
We should be attacking the players on their social media and making them feel pain

etc etc

I'm gonna keep a list and keep posting it once things have been added as we go so at some stage some of these absolute nutters can read it back and hopefully it will dawn on em that they're absolute fruitcakes

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Owlstalk Shop

8 minutes ago, Plonk said:

The reaction has been insane...but predictable. Being realistic it was always going to take a few months to get things to gel. Maybe if we had a slower start and then started getting results the bed wetting wouldn’t have been too bad. Let’s see where we are in November before setting fire to ourselves eh?

swag-fire.gif.9ed66811b3d61587153f5df5554c1d22.gif

31 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

fizz me

So let me just get this straight

You honestly seriously genuinely believe that Darren Moore and the coaching staff at SWFC are now just letting the players have 'fun and games' in training instead of planning properly for matches?

You might think that looking at some of the performances. Nice guys can be taken advantage of. You cant go upsetting millionaire footballers you know.

• Like 1

Talk about reading too much into a few training videos. It’s standard social media, every club does it 

I think Moore’s doing everything he can, it’s up to the players to implement it. 

If they are weak with their first touches, can’t find space etc, that’s on them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daavies; said:

If we go out with the same attitude as we did yesterday for the rest of the season, we'll do well to finish mid table. 3-0 to Plymouth actually flatters us. They battered us from the first minute until the last. Don't want to single any players out but don't think any of the team would get more than a 3/10. You've got to earn the right to play football with hard work and stability.  I'm not sure all these 3/4 changes a week are helping us, we looked like a team who had never played with each other before yesterday. We need to bounce back with a performance against Shrewsbury.

You know what I'm not entirely convinced the attitude was wrong, I can't read their minds.

What I think is that attitude correct or not, these players are not anywhere near as talented as the think they are...you are in L1 for a reason guys.

They lost yesterday because they were not good enough, and Plymouth were a far better side.

Each time they attacked I expected them to score or at least have a good attempt, when we attacked I expected it to fizzle to nothing, which it did.

So, we are simply not the team and are not as talented as some (and they) think. If anyone saw yesterday's game thinking they were seeing a top 6 side, then that may be true but they played in green

39 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Let's just review just a few of the things the fans have said since yesterday's game/result

The videos of players being positive midweek should be banned

The players shouldn't be having fun at our club
We should play 4-4-2 as only winners do that (despite Plymouth playing with 3 at the back yesterday when they beat us)

Darren Moore should be sacked

Darren Moore should have kept us up last season despite being in hospital with Covid and Pneumonia

We've signed too many players

We should be top of the league because Darren Moore had a full pre-season without all his players being at the club
It's Chansiri's fault we lost

We lost because we were playing in a pink shirt
We should be attacking the players on their social media and making them feel pain

etc etc

I'm gonna keep a list and keep posting it once things have been added as we go so at some stage some of these absolute nutters can read it back and hopefully it will dawn on em that they're absolute fruitcakes

People are just getting their emotions the better of them..It's not as if football is a logical pastime. As fans we've been sh@t on as bad as the fans of the some of the worse run clubs.  Give us  a glimmer of hope then kick us back down again.

I stay out of these arguments cos a lot of the fans are flouncing nearly as good as a Morrissey rant.  But then again I was counting my blessings that I didn't have to travel back from the other side of the country.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, northeastowl said:

It’s the players who need to stop believing in their own hype. 

They're the ones coming out in interviews saying we are going to win the league and when we click we will batter teams.

Unfortunately lads when you can’t be arsed to put the effort in and have the right mental attitude then you won’t achieve anything.

I know they might argue it’s a one off but title winning teams don’t do that. They don’t go to mid table teams and get spanked 3-0 with little effort/fight. And in saying effort/fight i don’t mean the type like Hutchinson who gets a yellow but smashing someone 5 seconds after the whistle has gone because he’s lost his head. 

To be fair to him he hasn't done it much for quite a while. He's much steadier as a defender. That 'tackle' was a shocker though, if it had connected it would have been a straight red and deservedly so.

Good teams are the ones who can grind out results when they have an off day and find a way to win most times.

We haven't been like that for a long time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devonstrix said:

Bannan certainly deserves more than 3/10 for me. I had him on course for a 9 until he missed that straight forward header, so I’d give him a 7/8. 

I was sat in with Argyle fans who were all saying that he was brilliant but had little support. 

And they were right..