That can’t happen again.

Excellent post - spot on. 

Tactics and approach is predictable in which teams will know how to play against us pressing us high up the pitch!

Passing out of the back is a tough ask and certainty not working away from home. At home on our huge pitch maybe but not as these smaller away grounds.
It usually leads to our midfield being bypassed as we hit it long to the front 3 who are then isolated chasing lost causes. 

I really want Moore to succeed however it concerns me that fans of his previous clubs all said he never had a plan B when it came to tactics. Hopefully he’ll get assistance as OP states. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The players all think that they are at a big club, and they are right - we are compared with many in this league. At this level, big support, large stadium, higher wages, strong media profile, notable history. The players all say we are a big club in their interviews and buy into the ‘massive’ narrative - and there is nothing too much wrong in that.

BUT - they have to understand that: we are no great shakes as a team yet; that other teams will fight harder against us; that opponents want to beat us more than others; that we have to have not only ability but tactical nouse; that we must leave everything in the pitch - every game. Yesterday was the first time this season the players didn’t seem to do the latter parts - even though we haven’t been that brilliant so far.

• Like 2

The performance was not half as bad as what people are making out here. 

1. Plymouth were the better side and won fairly. They did not win because we were rubbish, that is just disrespectful to them and arrogant. 

2. We created chances we should have scored from, it's not like we sat back and didn't look like we were trying to create anything.

3. The players never gave up 

4. People saying teams have sussed out how we are going to play. But without Denis or luongo in the middle we can't. We don't have anyone athletic enough to play that role. They're the missing piece, and what makes us a top six side in this league.

5. We do have players who are good enough to play out from the back. Our defenders are quick, calm and composed. The problem is transitioning in the middle of the park. We can do it, just give it time.

6. A couple of individual errors cost us. But from the games I've seen this season (all of them) it does not happen often. At least we have players who take responsibility when they make mistakes. It's clear from DM interviews that he bring them down to earth, and make sure they do not hide away.

I think as the season progresses we will have more than one way of playing. It just needs time and games.

The only criticism I have is players trying to walk it into the net.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We all said let’s judge Moore and his new team after 10 games.
It’s looking bang average after 6 and there were worrying signs yesterday that the early promise is faltering. BUT let’s withhold judgement a little longer yet. The last two games should be a major wake up call. If this hastily put together squad can learn from experience they can recover some places in the table and some credibility with fans. 
The lessons:-

1. Thinking you are so good you don’t have to fight for every ball won’t cut it in this league.

2. Tactics like playing out from the back must be allowed to change when not working.

3. Without Adeniran and Luongo central midfield is pitifully weak. With the players available yesterday it could have been rectified by an early substitution. Dunkley on for Byers and Hutchinson into holding midfield. It didn’t happen. The subs were all like for like and didn’t influence the outcome.

Reality is sinking in now so please no more self congratulation and talk of the wonderful team spirit until it’s demonstrated on the pitch.

Much to think about by manager and players before the next game.

• Like 3

Nailed it OP - great post and exactly how we saw the game unfold.

This is management and coaching issue and Moore has got it wrong again, including not changing it as soon as we went 2-0 down by bringing Byers off and providing some support to Jack Hunt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great OP.

I do think (and hope) that we should look at yesterdays game, and the one against Morecambe, in isolation. Yesterday we were second best across the park: in our recations, physicality, thought, thoughness and determination. That's not to say we didn't have our chances, we just weren't fluid, or clever enough, to break down a well organised and hard-working Plymouth.

Morecambe was almost the polar opposite. We were quick, tough and moved the ball well. The final ball and/or final touch too often let us down however. We conceded a bit of a freak own-goal.

Two losses; two completely different games and performances. Are either acceptable to a team who has openly admitted promotion is the main target? Not at all. Will we have more games like these two this season? Most likely, but I would hope only a handful.

After the Morecambe game, a copper said to me on the way out "You should have beaten that lot". My reply was we have no divine right to beat anyone. He held out his fist for a bump because I think he was slightly shocked by my response. But that's the truth. We have no divine right to beat anyone in this league. We will only do so by matching opposites work rate and tenacity, and adding flair and skill.

Without making excuses for Moore, he probably hasn't had what he considers his best team available in every game. The same as every other manager up and down the country. We have a settled back line, and midfield that could almost pick itself, but up front we've chopped and changed and perhaps missed the likes of Windass and Shodipo, who will add greater pace out wide. But that's for the manager to sort out and get the right bodies in to do the right job.

We need to work on our transition from midfield to attack. It's not good enough. We aren't playing between the lines enough and nobody is making clever runs. I do think it will click, but if we get any more performances like yesterday, or woeful finishing like against Morecambe, then more questions will be asked.

It's early days. We've played 6 league games so far. Win our game in hand and we are suddenly third (based on today's table). Get close to 20 points from our first 10 games and I would say, perfomances aside, that's a good return. I guess we'll see soon enough.

UTO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The main problems I saw yesterday, were certain defenders not reacting fast enough to loose balls. The midfield being closed down and pressurised to stifle passing out from the back. The wings not being used effectively until Corbeanu came on and very little overlapping or even lateral support for most of the game. Byers being asked to do a job that he clearly doesn't have the confidence or physical presence for. Bannan trying to run the show single handed and getting understandably frustrated. Generally, very little composure in front of goal and more worryingly a lack of determination to put a mark on the game and physically compete with the opposition. We didn't look like a team, we looked like a bunch of isolated, frustrated individuals with very little belief in the cause.

• Like 1

Tactics, our main problem…my god. This was always my biggest concern around Moore. He’s clearly a good man manager but he needs some assistance tactically IMO. How are we trying to play? We don’t really do anything well, we just look like a pub team sent out to just play football, no intent, no evident style or tactical approach. Several games in and the only real patterns to our play that I can clearly identify are negative ones I’d want to change

This is my main concern. 

That talent is there but DM needs to have a game plan because its very obvious there isn't one and everybody is just doing what they want.

2 hours ago, Blatter said:

We all said let’s judge Moore and his new team after 10 games.
It’s looking bang average after 6 and there were worrying signs yesterday that the early promise is faltering. BUT let’s withhold judgement a little longer yet. The last two games should be a major wake up call. If this hastily put together squad can learn from experience they can recover some places in the table and some credibility with fans. 
The lessons:-

1. Thinking you are so good you don’t have to fight for every ball won’t cut it in this league.

2. Tactics like playing out from the back must be allowed to change when not working.

3. Without Adeniran and Luongo central midfield is pitifully weak. With the players available yesterday it could have been rectified by an early substitution. Dunkley on for Byers and Hutchinson into holding midfield. It didn’t happen. The subs were all like for like and didn’t influence the outcome.

Reality is sinking in now so please no more self congratulation and talk of the wonderful team spirit until it’s demonstrated on the pitch.

Much to think about by manager and players before the next game.

I thought for a second that you wrote ‘ Hutchinson into holding midfield ‘ as the great tactical master stroke , but then dismissed it as a spell check error.  No one would deliberately write that after last season. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mcmigo said:

I thought for a second that you wrote ‘ Hutchinson into holding midfield ‘ as the great tactical master stroke , but then dismissed it as a spell check error.  No one would deliberately write that after last season. 

No error and not even a tactical master stroke Mac. Chey Dunkley would have provided more physicality and leadership in defence. Also if Hutchinson isn’t capable of a positional switch during a game you have to question his value to the squad. We had two holding midfielders missing yesterday and it showed. Hutch has played most of the last four seasons as a holding midfielder and could easily have managed another 70 minutes there yesterday to break up Plymouth’s attacks.

Bearing in mind the players available, do you have a suggestion of your own as to how Moore could have stemmed the tide of Plymouth attacks coming our way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manwë said:

We've had loads of our team on international duties all around the globe whereas Plymouth hadn't.

It was a case of freshness and Wednesday should sue FIFA because of it 

"Already in the works, mate"

:Chansiri:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1