Playing out from the back…

The number of goals conceded by teams as a direct result of playing out from the back is high, yet few goals can be directly attributed to doing so. I personally think coaches adopt it because by not doing so they are seen as football dinosaurs but it’s another example in life of the emperor’s new clothes. 

We are particularly poor at it, but there are many others.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, Mcguigan said:

As soon as he could, much like Pep and Klopp, Bielsa changed his goalie to adapt better to his style of play. Recognising that whilst they were good goalkeepers, their ability to also play as a last defender was poor. 

Ironically it was BPF who he replaced because of this. 

For us to play the way DM wants requires a keeper confident with the ball at his feet and with accurate distribution. You don't often get that, as well as being a good shot stopper at Lg1 level. 

It's a fair point but I'd argue we swapped keepers because BPF kept letting daft goals in and making mistakes.... and Burnley offered good money relatively speaking. 

He was a poor shot stopper....but that's a few years ago now I accept. 

6 hours ago, Orlando_Trustful said:

We aren’t good enough. It worked once yesterday I think when Bannan managed to make space and surge forward. We mostly play it between Hutch, Iorfa and Byers and then eventually due to their pressing we end up either losing it or hoofing it. 

Very true, OT..

At this level, or in the Champ as we saw with Jostling Jos, opponents will simply harry and pressurize you and force mistakes.

In the Third you play football where it hurts the opposition, not where it hurts you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The problem that we have is that we don't have players who are comfortable with playing out from the back. Pulis tried this, remember

Also playing a long goal kick we only have one forward with no one supporting him, if he manages to flick it on who is there? we need two up front

Either way we need to sort it out

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scram said:

No disrespect but it looks like you have swallowed the FA coaching manual

Angle of support in itself is totally meaningless - just an FA buzz phrase

No disrespect but it’s easy to understand and to teach and to observe that Owls players will struggle to play out from the back whilst Bannan and Byers continue to receive the ball moving towards our defence chest on. 

Many on here are eulogising Ryan Lowe and I think DM could learn a few lessons from him at this level. Lowe was in receipt of a fair amount of criticism from many Argyle fans last season and even in their promotion season, for his tippy tippy, playing out from the back style. The addition of Ryan Broom has been key and people are questioning Danny Mayor's place in the team once he returns from injury. 

This season, as two thousand Wednesdayites witnessed first hand yesterday, Lowe has mixed it up a lot more and they play a very rapid counter attacking style at times. They also get stuck in, which our boys failed to do sufficiently yesterday with one or two exceptions. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Btw 

Our players are plenty good enough to play like this - Byers, Bannan, Wing and Adeniran are more than comfortable receiving the ball in tight spaces 

We just need to have the confidence to do it sharper and faster. Our issue is back 4 wanting to take 3,4,5 touches before releasing it

Totally agree. Your last sentence about touches taken is a repeat of what Argyle fans used to say before Lowe changed his style slightly. We can’t expect DM to get it right overnight with a new side, but there is a huge expectation quite rightly, so he and his staff will be putting in the work behind the scenes to get the balance right I’m sure. 

I know it sounds crazy to say it, but yesterday’s performance has made  Shrewsbury a must win game. Three defeats on the bounce is unthinkable. Thankfully, I feel sure we will bounce back with a strong performance to settle the early season nerves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Devonstrix said:

Totally agree. Your last sentence about touches taken is a repeat of what Argyle fans used to say before Lowe changed his style slightly. We can’t expect DM to get it right overnight with a new side, but there is a huge expectation quite rightly, so he and his staff will be putting in the work behind the scenes to get the balance right I’m sure. 

I know it sounds crazy to say it, but yesterday’s performance has made  Shrewsbury a must win game. Three defeats on the bounce is unthinkable. Thankfully, I feel sure we will bounce back with a strong performance to settle the early season nerves. 

A big part of playing out from the back is not playing players on their wrong side 

Palmer shouldn’t be at left back and I’d have Hutch on notice at LCB if we are planning to continue playing this way

Edited by McRightSide

16 hours ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

… is a fad created by the current voices in coaching but how many managers understand why & how to play that way?There are 3 fundamentals to playing out from the back. 1. Angles of support (also called playing between the lines). 2. Receiving the ball on the half turn. 3. Recognising when to break the press and responding accordingly. Don’t see any evidence of these fundamentals atm with Wednesday. Begging the question, do we understand how to play out from the back or are we actually just playing around at the back

pretty much  -   I could simplify it further we are crap at it and the opposition know it 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Owls2k said:

Not at all - you just have to be good enough at it compared with the opposing team are at combatting it. Like any tactic.

But you also have to bear in mind that it’s an easier job to coach a team to be be competently skilled at high pressing than it is to be skilled at playing out from the back. The former takes a degree of organisation and a high level of physical fitness, whilst the latter also requires advanced technical ability. 
At this level, high grade technical ability is a rare commodity, so most teams will concentrate on the things which they can do well, eg ‘the press’.

I fear we will face this problem repeatedly this season.

• Like 5

Got no problem playing out from the back, but yesterday it was far to slow, Iorfa and Hutchinson were far too deep.

BPF plus the defenders need to move the ball quicker, plus Iorfa and Hutch need to bring the ball into midfield when opportunity arises!

• Like 2

We can pass around from the back and go past their defending forwards, with a series of passes.

HOWEVER, once we've done that we are too slow moving forward, and what happens is their 2 forwards come back into play and can defend again.

To look at it from Plymouth's view, their forwards were nearly always defending and they had 10 outfield players between the ball and their goal.

Corbeanu seemed to move things a bit quicker.

I would have thought that playing from the back was to draw opponents towards you and create space for our others further forward.

We'll also struggle with 3 in midfield if the wide forwards are not prepared to assist them and defend, and yesterday we were too lightweight.