Playing out from the back…

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Exactly this

Unfortunate situation is, we're not great at it - as per your post. Maybe they are still learning?

You see it countless times with the top teams away from home in hostile grounds. They get hounded, the crowd are hyped and vocal, but 3 passes later they are out of the press and on the half way line with a third of the opponent's team long gone. 

I doubt we'll ever get to that period. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think you've also got to recognise when it's not quite working.

If teams are pressing you and you're getting caught, then perhaps you need to go a bit more direct to try and beat the press.

Likewise, if a team drops deep, you've got to be able to up the tempo, keep moving the ball and try to move them out of position.

Man City often do this brilliantly. They get hounded and Ederson plays a 70 yard 'pass' that's a through ball to a certain goal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Owls2k said:

Man City often do this brilliantly. They get hounded and Ederson plays a 70 yard 'pass' that's a through ball to a certain goal.

Yep. 

Liverpool did it brilliantly under Klopp too.

You've that pace up top, so why not ping it long and let Salah run onto it. Get it out wide and have those fullbacks hitting in cross after cross.

It's when you see teams try the same thing again and again when it is clearly not working.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Yep. 

Liverpool did it brilliantly under Klopp too.

You've that pace up top, so why not ping it long and let Salah run onto it. Get it out wide and have those fullbacks hitting in cross after cross.

It's when you see teams try the same thing again and again when it is clearly not working.

The thing is surprise too, that's what you get with the very best coaches. 

With the likes of Klopp, Pep, and to a lesser extent (or, maybe in defensive scenarios Jose) you get a continuous development of tactical ideas. The best coaches are incredible strategists and problem solvers. Not people who just got taught how to play through their training and have just carried it on. 

If you do your coaching badge and so did you mate, you both did the same badge. So how you gonna beat him?!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

i like to think i have some knowledge of football but i'm struggling to understand any of that .......whats angles of support mean ?

It’s all about where you receive the ball in relation to the press. Therefore you try to be “between the opposites defensive lines”. Also at an angle of 45 degrees or so from the ball player and side on to the ball player you are in a position to receive the ball and immediately attack the next line, disrupting the defensive organisation and creating an overload. 

19 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

The thing is surprise too, that's what you get with the very best coaches. 

With the likes of Klopp, Pep, and to a lesser extent (or, maybe in defensive scenarios Jose) you get a continuous development of tactical ideas. The best coaches are incredible strategists and problem solvers. Not people who just got taught how to play through their training and have just carried it on. 

If you do your coaching badge and so did you mate, you both did the same badge. So how you gonna beat him?!

Definitely a challenge. All I can say is, everyone knows how Klopp teams play,  and Pep. Everyone knew how Wilko’s teams played but knowing and stopping them is a different matter if they execute well and keep believing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

Definitely a challenge. All I can say is, everyone knows how Klopp teams play,  and Pep. Everyone knew how Wilko’s teams played but knowing and stopping them is a different matter if they execute well and keep believing. 

Spot on

Shall we get married, I think I love you. 

• Love 1

4 minutes ago, camffiti said:

Playing out from the back, just needs to be done with some common sense 

Some managers though, are riddled with philosophy and insist on playing Chuckle Brothers, 100% of the time 

Jos was like that, I'm hoping Moore isn't

• Like 2

When bielsa arrived, Leeds had what we all considered mid table championship players. 

From match day 1 he had the players who previously usually booted the ball up the pitch... Playing this mad confident out from the back swagger... Even with 4 or more pressing them in our own box. 

It's about making the players confident in havingthe ball imo.

Key to it also is piling players forward to capitalise when you do break through the high press. 

• Like 1

Just now, Leeds U from sheff said:

When bielsa arrived, Leeds had what we all considered mid table championship players. 

From match day 1 he had the players who previously usually booted the ball up the pitch... Playing this mad confident out from the back swagger... Even with 4 or more pressing them in our own box. 

Key to it also is piling players forward to capitalise when you do break through the high press. 

This. It’s all relative to the level you’re at. Clear strategy, clearly communicated. Show resilience. Turn learned behaviour into habit. 

2 minutes ago, Leeds U from sheff said:

Leeds is a good point. 

Their fans are probably more hostile than ours. 

But the thing there is they believed in their manager, they worshipped him even when he failed. They 'bought in' to his style. 

Despite that he still got loads of jibes and still does. 

• Like 1

I don't think there is a right or wrong way, you can play out from the back or you can hoof up long balls, they can both work, in the right situation, but work best mixed up to stop the opposition second guessing.

The trick is to know when to do what, and that's down to instinct, intelligence or training induced muscle memory. 

We have the skills, it's more about application I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1