Playing out from the back…

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

There is playing out from the back and then there is the Sheffield Wednesday version of playing out the back.

The latter involves the defence knocking the ball from side to side as the midfield stand still. Eventually the ball is smashed long out of sheer panic or boredom.

I tend to agree with you @SiJ  There isn’t the cohesion or purpose evident yet. Of course it can develop, we’ve only played 6 games but I expected more after a decent time in preseason plus the international break. 

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

I tend to agree with you @SiJ  There isn’t the cohesion or purpose evident yet. Of course it can develop, we’ve only played 6 games but I expected more after a decent time in preseason plus the international break. 

Same.

Bizarre really. Two weeks off to work on things and we've got worse lol.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, S72 Owl said:

I actually think we’ve played out from the back and beaten the press quite a few times this season and it’s got us into advanced positions. It’s the final 3rd that’s needs the work. 

I don’t disagree but it seems more by accident than design and nowhere near consistent enough. Plenty of time still but it’s like golf. Keep practising your mistakes and you won’t improve. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

… is a fad created by the current voices in coaching but how many managers understand why & how to play that way?There are 3 fundamentals to playing out from the back. 1. Angles of support (also called playing between the lines). 2. Receiving the ball on the half turn. 3. Recognising when to break the press and responding accordingly. Don’t see any evidence of these fundamentals atm with Wednesday. Begging the question, do we understand how to play out from the back or are we actually just playing around at the back ? 

Playing out from the back..leave it to Barca..at this level get it in the opponents box asap...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Flat Owl said:

Suicide football unless you are in an elite league.

I believe it can be played even at a lower level if coached correctly. But things like Bannan and Byers coming to take the ball off the defence “chest on” bringing the press with them & chipping the ball to Gregory with no midfielders breaking to support shouldn’t happen if we truly understand the strategy. I hope I’m wrong and it’s just a matter of time before we gel. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even goal kicks are played out from the back! BFP just kicks it to huch or iorfa who drop back so deep in 6 yard box. This is prob because we have no one in midfield to win the ball. The problem with playing out from the back is that it allows the other team to re group and get back into defensive  positions. we should just mix it up a bit. Today was like we had a game plan never changed it. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, brando said:

Playing out from the back..leave it to Barca..at this level get it in the opponents box asap...

As long as the tactic is coached and communicated well I really don’t care how we play. The players should be good enough. I like watching the likes of Man City and Chelsea but I loved following Wednesday under Wilko and Megson. 

9 minutes ago, BadBoy1762 said:

Even goal kicks are played out from the back! BFP just kicks it to huch or iorfa who drop back so deep in 6 yard box. This is prob because we have no one in midfield to win the ball. The problem with playing out from the back is that it allows the other team to re group and get back into defensive  positions. we should just mix it up a bit. Today was like we had a game plan never changed it. 

Agreed. It was obvious after 20 mins that Plymouth had out thought us. We actually didn’t change tactics or formation, just personnel. Early days but we won’t get out of this division without a better understood plan A and a decent plan B

• Like 1

Think you've also got to recognise when it's not quite working.

If teams are pressing you and you're getting caught, then perhaps you need to go a bit more direct to try and beat the press.

Likewise, if a team drops deep, you've got to be able to up the tempo, keep moving the ball and try to move them out of position.

Edited by SiJ
  • Like 1

Just now, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

… There are 3 fundamentals to playing out from the back. 1. Angles of support (also called playing between the lines). 2. Receiving the ball on the half turn. 3. Recognising when to break the press and responding accordingly. 

i like to think i have some knowledge of football but i'm struggling to understand any of that .......whats angles of support mean ?

• Like 2