iFollow RIP-off

I used to like listening to matches but it’s so bad now this season I’m using a VPN and paying €11 to watch the game. Not exactly money well spent but the commentaries are so bad I never know what is going on so I’m now shelling out bigger money so I can at least see it and moan in a more well informed manner…

• Like 1

It is shocking, and I can't get my head round how amateurish it is. The 'round the ground' thing is a joke. Agreed, I don't pay much for it, but use it regularly when I can't go to a game. How hard would it be to have a bit of half time analysis, build up to the game etc. I'd happily pay a bit more, if I knew it was going to the club, and it wasn't so rubbish.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

Ifollow is good.

It's not perfect, but it's something of a first isn't it. 

The concept of streaming all the games.

I'm excited to see where it develops.

Don't think you can call it a first, it's been going for a few years now and arguably the audio side of it has gone down hill this season. The video has improved though

Before the pandemic we did have our own commentary team, at least , of John Pearson  and Rob so presumably the club had some influence over that, so why can’t they make the effort again? I would certainly pay more for a more Wednesday - specific service that was better quality. What will we do if our friends at Radio Sheffield decide to cover someone else instead of us one week?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macallister said:

Before the pandemic we did have our own commentary team, at least , of John Pearson  and Rob so presumably the club had some influence over that, so why can’t they make the effort again? I would certainly pay more for a more Wednesday - specific service that was better quality. What will we do if our friends at Radio Sheffield decide to cover someone else instead of us one week?

Unfortunately like a lot of businesses, the pandemic has had an impact on clubs and individuals. I would love to be doing away games again but in the current climate that isn't happening. If additional revenue can be generated through sponsorship to cover staffing and to give the club extra income, that option can be put back on the table to fund and grow the output. If anyone is interested, please drop me a message.

Edited by TheWednesday
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macallister said:

Thanks for your comments, you are obviously close to this  and your points are taken. Would it not be possible to increase the £2:50 fee in that case to cover the necessary costs and could this make a more specific service viable?

I don't know for certain but I suspect because of the way the iFollow platform is setup across the EFL that wouldn't be possible. However, if we can manage to bring in new money via sponsorship, which can cover several elements of the matchday programme, this would be a way to bring in new money to offer the dedicated service and bring in extra cash to the club's coffers.

Edited by TheWednesday

Off the top of my head I seem to remember both birmingham and derby did coverage our games against them in-house. Little bit of pre game discussion, non descript ex player and half decent commentary with half time analysis. Far better than what you get with ifollow and I suspect far more profitable for those clubs. For a team with so many fans outside of Sheffield, it’s something we should be at least looking into.

Ok but I guess it’s a numbers game. If enough Wednesdayites want to see a better service and are willing to pay to achieve this then it could have legs. Owlstalk is a wonderful focal point for fans. Perhaps we could use it to gauge interest in doing whatever it takes to raise the necessary sponsorship. How many use the audio pass now and how many would use a dedicated service? Another question would be how many would stop using it if it remains as it is now as it is now.... I know of one!

I appreciate iFollow might be great for fans overseas who can get the video but I’m afraid for home-based fans who only have access to audio, it is not. Also if the plan is for Radio Sheffield’s commentaries are to be the output for the remainder of the season, I think that she be made clear on the marketing.