2011/12 vs 2021/22 - Which squad is better?

2011/12 vs 2021/22  

109 members have voted

1. 1. GK

• Bywater
    • Peacock-Farrell
  2. 2. RB

• Buxton
    • Hunt
  3. 3. CB

• Batth
    • Iorfa
  4. 4. CB

• Jones
    • Hutchinson
  5. 5. LB

• Bennett
    • Palmer 2021/22
  6. 6. DM

• Semedo
    • Adeniran
  7. 7. CM

• Lines
    • Bannan
  8. 8. CM

• Prutton
    • Wing
  9. 9. LW

• JJ
    • Shodipo
  10. 10. RW

• Marshall
    • Windass
  11. 11. ST

• Madine
    • Gregory
  12. 12. Reserve CB

• Reda Johnson
    • Dunkley
  13. 13. Reserve ST

• Lowe
    • Berahino
  14. 14. Reserve ST

• Morrison
    • Kamberi
  15. 15. Overall

• 2011/12
    • 2021/22

Cheers mate, great thread!

To me there is so recency bias atm - Adeniran instead of Semedo? Semedo is one of the main reasons we went up. Doesn't mean he can't be better in the future, but right now Semedo has the record to back up him being better.

Hutchinson over Jones is close, but Jones scored some crucial goals and was our captain.

Atm for me 2011/12 is better, but doesn't mean this team can't develop and challenge them.

Also it's still very early in the ratings, so I'm probably getting wound up over nothing 😂

Blimey, cheers for going to effort of putting all them polls up, gave me a good bit of fun trawling through them.

Think it's pretty clear that the current squad is stronger than the 2011/12 version, but that doesn't guarantee it'll do better in the league. Individual quality isn't as important as cohesiveness and mentality, and the jury is still out on how strong both of those are in this squad.

• Like 1

It’s very early days and it’s difficult to judge at the moment.

What I would say however is I think to an extent fans forget about how good some of the players we had back then were.

Semedo for example for me was the best player in the league that season and a midfield pairing of Semedo (from 11/12) and Bannan now would absolutely boss this league.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

It’s very early days and it’s difficult to judge at the moment.

What I would say however is I think to an extent fans forget about how good some of the players we had back then were.

Semedo for example for me was the best player in the league that season and a midfield pairing of Semedo (from 11/12) and Bannan now would absolutely boss this league.

Agreed, too early but nonetheless a bit of fun. I think this season's  squad has more strength in depth probably. Also difficult  to score Semedo and Adeniran  in a head to head as they're different  types. Semedo was a terrific defensive midfielder  in league one but Adeniran has more to offer with the ball. Also looking forward,  Semedo  couldn't make the step up to the championship  whereas Adeniran looks a good bet to develop into a higher level performer.

• Like 1

It’s way too early to judge as it’s already been said.

I think we were relatively strong defensively 10 years ago. Jones and Batth were immense. Buxton and Johnson were more than useful. Johnson particularly with his goals. I suspect come the end of the season the 11/12 squad will have a defensive dept with more goals scored but the current squad may be more frugal in goals conceded?

The midfield in 11/12 was very underrated. Semedo and Lines were very influential. Add the stardust of JJ and Marshall/Antonio, this is where the squad’s will be judged. I think Adeniran/Bannan will compare favourably with Semedo/Lines but our current wide options may not be as good as the ones from 10 years ago.

As for forwards Madine/Lowe/O’Grady did the job. Gregory will compare favourably with Madine and will probably score a similar amount. Will Berahino/Kamberi do as well as Lowe/O’Grady?

As of Now the 11/12 squad just has the edge for me if I was pressed to call it now.

Guest LondonOwl313

Surprised anyone can say 2011/12 squad was better, on the player by player comparisons the only definite I had was Reda over Dunkley 

Buxton/Hunt, Madine/Gregory, Prutton/Wing are close and there’s a few others like JJ/Shodipo and Morrison/Kamberi where we haven’t seen enough yet to make a call. 

The rest are head and shoulders better 

Guest LondonOwl313
2 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

Gregory over Madine ??? Really?

Madine only had one good season in his whole career, which just happened to be 2011/12. Gregory has been pretty consistent as a goal scorer his whole career. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him get more than Madine’s 18 goals.