Let's Take A Retain Check

1 hour ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

I'm sure it's nothing that will surprise anyone on here to see that only 42.2% of last season's league minutes were completed by players still at our club, but it could be interesting to compare with other squads in the division. 

Only 5 squads have undergone more change than us over the summer, with Morcambe having significantly altered their promotion-winning squad from League Two, whilst the other 4 look to improve their positions after underwhelming seasons in League One last time around.

Our fellow relegated teams, Rotherham and Wycombe are among the least-changed squads, which probably reflects that last season's relegation was viewed as nowhere near as big a problem for them as it was for us, as well as the fact that their squads were much better equipped to step down into the third tier.

It's natural for much-changed squads to take a while to gel, so it's probably not unexpected to see Ipswich's slow start to the campaign given the fact that only 30.6% of last season's league minutes were completed by players who remain there, whereas the start that we've made should give us heart when you consider that we're among the 6 most changed squads in the league.

484487312_SquadChurn2021.thumb.png.e312b4cc2fed390708452cddd008037e.png

PS: Soz for the awful thread title.

I'll get my coat...

:ph34r:

Don't worry I only just got past the title before I the boring bit

The fact  that 5 clubs have got a lower retention rate surprises me. Feels like we’ve had a massive turnover. 

It would be interesting to see a presentation like this year on year over a longer period. I wonder if COVID has meant a particularly high rate of churn across the whole league.

Is there a link to the website you got it from?

• Like 3

Guest LondonOwl313
24 minutes ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

The fact  that 5 clubs have got a lower retention rate surprises me. Feels like we’ve had a massive turnover. 

It would be interesting to see a presentation like this year on year over a longer period. I wonder if COVID has meant a particularly high rate of churn across the whole league.

It’s statistics for the point of statistics.. if a player is ever present then they account for 100/11% or roughly 9% of the teams minutes. Given the likes of Bannan and Palmer were pretty much every present and also Windass and Paterson played a huge chunk of the games between those 4 I’d guess they account for over 30% of the minutes. So it’s quite easy to get to 42%

51 minutes ago, LondonOwl313 said:

It’s statistics for the point of statistics.. if a player is ever present then they account for 100/11% or roughly 9% of the teams minutes. Given the likes of Bannan and Palmer were pretty much every present and also Windass and Paterson played a huge chunk of the games between those 4 I’d guess they account for over 30% of the minutes. So it’s quite easy to get to 42%

That is almost certainly not correct 

Guest LondonOwl313
3 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

That is almost certainly not correct 

Bannan 46 games 

Paterson 43 games
Windass 41 games

Palmer 39 games

Total 169 games

Team total 46 x 11 = 506 games

169/506 = 33% of available minutes

Ok so it’s simplified and slightly overstating the number in that not all of those are full appearances as some will have been subbed off, but you get the drift.

Not sure how you can say it’s not correct.

1 hour ago, The Hoppy Hopper said:

Thanks to @WalworthOwl for posting the link already.

I had last year's 'squad churn' already saved, as I think I posted it this time last year, too:

1593970818_SquadChurn2020.png.e84ac7434dde268bb22fe72bf454a478.png

The previous seasons' data is still on there, too.

Our percentage of the previous season's league minutes completed by players still at our club read:

2019:

74%

2018:

77%

2017:

93%

2016:

91%

2015:

64%

This summer's 42% is unprecedented for us in recent times, but represents a much-needed break from the past, I'd say.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3