Charles Hagan

31 minutes ago, scram said:

Some fans have an absolutely misplaced sense of how good the majority of u18/23 players actually are

Exactly this and the fact we having managed to produce one premier league player in the last 20 years or so tells you exactly how good ours are.

7 hours ago, Etchesketch said:

I agree. Why are the four 20/21 year olds going on loan for the first time. When they signed pro at 18 they should have been going on loan at non league level. Hunt is in his 4th year as a pro. Waldock 3rd.

Spot on. Hunt already reaping rewards at Grimsby. At least we now have a manager who seems to have a clue on how to handle players.

• Like 1

Guest Jack the Hat

Hunt, Galvin and Hagan now out on loan. Do you think Celtic have warned us if they don't get any game time they aren't going to steal them off us?

Liam Shaw went on loan to Chesterfield when they were near the bottom of the Conference, now plays at Celtic. 3 divisions where we were before.

Hagan gets a chance at a club 3 divisions below where we are now.

Playing meaningful, competitive football is surely better than u23s? As Scram said, Newcastle's u23s got battered by us the other week.

It's not just the playing side either. 

Aside from the fact tiers 5 and 6 are full of ex league, ex academy and pretty decent players a young lad can learn to live away from home, make new connections, test themselves in a new city/environment, learn to grow up away from the academy setting. Any loan like that has the potential to make them better players if they seize the opportunity. 

Newcastle, Sunderland and Middlesbrough regularly loan their young players to a whole host of non league clubs in the North East. It's a good move on our part. The term clogged football also does a disservice to those leagues. Great grounding for players and a good use of the pyramid by us. 

On 09/09/2021 at 10:25, mcmigo said:

For a squad player who played some first team friendlies that is a big step down.  Not sure I see any benefit playing clogger football in league 6.

Completely disagree 

friendlies are about match fitness and tactics 

Competitive competitions are as they are competitive and results matter 

playing regularly or being in the match day squad and changing rooms will do wonders for his development 

since preseason we have recruited more competition in hagans position which drops him further down the pecking order 

training with our senior pros will help him develop but going out and getting games will be much more benefiting for the young man 

good move this 

• Like 1

I wonder if Hampton & Richmond have any promising young players of their own that we might be keeping an eye on. Loaning players out is a good way to develop links with clubs.

As we signed him from Chelsea, I'm assuming it's a bit nearer Hagan's family/friends too, which might give him a bit of a boost.

5 hours ago, OriginalAlien said:

As we signed him from Chelsea, I'm assuming it's a bit nearer Hagan's family/friends too, which might give him a bit of a boost.

It might also give him a place to stay which could be a deal breaker on him getting the loan